“Blue Skies in Butlins.. Excellent.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Minehead
Butlin's Minehead Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Minehead
Reviewed 5 July 2011

This is the first time that I have felt compelled to write a review after returning from a short break but after reading some of the negative reports and panicking about what we had in store prior to going on holiday, I would like to provide my honest opinion on the entire experience and hopefully put others minds at peace who may now find themselves in a similar situation.

Blue Skies Apartment:
For the past 3 years we (myself, the long suffering other half and our 2 boys) have holidayed in Butlins but at the Bognor Regis resort as we opted to stay in the Shoreline Hotel on Site. My eldest son (10) loved this as he enjoyed the football sessions with Richie & Jack (not sure if they are still there now?) however, we did grow a little tired of how the Hotel kept changing it's 'theme' and some of the spark was lost. This year, we decided on a change of scenery and opted for the Blue Skies Apartments in Minehead. Now, we usually stay in the Nelson Suite Rooms at the Shoreline and have never had any problem with them.. until now. In my opinion, The Blue Skies Apartments are far more superior and even though we did not get our request of a corner room (we were told they were fully booked) we were all extremely impressed with what we had. We stayed on the second floor and encountered no problems at all. The place was beautiful and the views overlooking the beach from the lounge and the balcony outside the bedroom were fantastic. Every attention to detail and living accessories were provided. (Photographs to follow).

Butlins Resort:
A lot more thought has gone into the layout of the Minehead resort when compared with Bognor and this works for the better in freeing up the space in the actual Skyline. We found it to be clean and tidy and very enjoyable for the boys. Splash Waterworld was that much of a hit with my eldest that he decided this year he didn't want to do the Soccer School (Please be warned when the siren goes off in there that you have practically 2 seconds to reach the outer edge else you will be flattened by the wave machine!!). My youngest enjoyed the inflatable obstacle course but it is a shame that you have to pay for this as an extra (£3 for 15 minutes) as it's hardly high end but still, it kept him happy. The Sun and Moon Pub with their outdoor garden area was a big hit too for all of us. If you do feel like taking an hour out whilst there, I would recommend the Ditto Train (which takes you off the site for approx 45 mins along the harbour and the main town) but please be advised that there are limited seats and it was only upon our third attempt that we actually managed to get a seat.

Eating:
We paid for prime dining (Breakfast / Dinner) with our booking and I must admit this was what I was fearing the most after the review readings however, we found the Yacht Club to be pleasant, friendly and perfectly adequate for our needs. The breakfast options are wide and varied (Full English, Pastries, Cereals, Fresh Fruit & Pancakes) and would set us up for the entire day. We would tend to get there around 8:30ish am and found no problems. The meal options for the Evening were varied and enjoyable (only gripe being that if you would like a soft drink with your meal other than juice/cordial/water then you have to buy at the bar with a glass of Coke costing £1.80 a glass). The staff who's job it is to collect the empty plates work extremely hard and are polite. The young guy who would greet the families in the morning and mark you off for your meal was also extremely nice and would exchange a little banter with my Son regarding his taste in Football which he thoroughly enjoyed.

Overall we had a fantastic break, I think it also helped we had the weather on our side and also we were there during term time - maybe it would be a little more hectic in the Holidays but we were extremely pleased with our experience. I would return without hesitation.

5  Thank NicholaUK
ButlinsResorts, Manager at Butlin's Minehead Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2011

Thank you for the great feedback about your time at Butlins Minehead - it means a lot to us when we receive comments like yours.

I've made sure that Maureen, Kirsty and the entire BlueSkies housekeeping and maintenance team have seen your comments. It really spurs them on when they see their hard work translated into a great holiday for a guest. Sorry we couldn’t get you the corner apartment, they're proving to be more and more popular each year so you have to book early to get them!

Splash is such a great place (my two boys love it as well!) and they would also spend all day in there if they got the chance. The Sun and Moon Pub garden was extended last year, so it's lovely to hear about it being enjoyed – I’ll pass your comments on to Keith and his team (they run the pub).

Thanks for your feedback about the extra charge for the inflatable. We try hard to include the activities and facilities that we feel families will value most and it's a fine line between including absolutely everything and picking out the things that are most valued. Our challenge is that if we included everything possible in the price of the holiday, some families who might not value having everything included may feel they have paid for things they wouldn’t use. We try and get it right so as many guests as possible can be confident that what’s included in the price represents great value for money.

As you've seen, we do cater for a lot of guests and we have been working hard to offer a greater variety of dining options. We like to think that our Premium Dining Yacht Club and Coast restaurants reflect a greater choice for guests and it’s lovely that you felt our team looked after you. It sounds like your son might have been chatting with Gary in the Yacht Club, he always has some football banter – usually with Lee who works there too, as well as our guests! I’ll pass on your kind words.

Thanks again for your review, we're all really grateful for your feedback and hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Richard Swift
Holiday Sales Manager - Butlins Minehead Resort

Write a ReviewReviews (3,772)

Reviewed 4 July 2011

very few baby changing places for the amount of babies that needed changing! not one breast feeding room, and for some1 that struggles with breast feeding in public ,this became a pain!

1  Thank emmaaslett
Reviewed 4 July 2011

This was above my expectations hubby myself and our 4 yr old granddaughter had a fantastic energetic fun filled midweek break. Will definately do this again and would gladly recommend thanx butlins

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 3 July 2011

my husband, my 5 month old and i stayed here for four nights in a silver plus room. the room its self was ok but a bit tatty. however the room had not been cleaned when we arrived and i had to complain to get it cleaned for us. they did clean it after 5pm when rooms are meant to be ready from 4pm. the room had only had a very quick clean but was ok as i needed the room with my little one to make bottles etc. no toilet roll had been left so that was interesting!

we returned from a day out the next day to find our room had not been cleaned at all. i complained to guest services only to be told the cleaners had finished for the day and that it would be done tomorrow.

again arrived back on the wednes day to find room had not been cleaned. upon complaining i was told that wednesday is not a service day but that someone would come and do it immediately. to be fair someone did arrive within 10 mins and gave the room a VERY quick clean. the bedside tables were so dusty we wrote 'dirt' in it to see if it would be cleaned.

on thursday i had a call from guest services asking if the room had been satisfactorily cleaned. i explained it had not and they said they would look into it. got back to our room at 4pm to find room had not been touched. the 'dirt' was still in place. i complained yet again to guest services who assured me it would be done. seeing as we were going home the following morning it seemed pointess. but anyway no-one came.

i have complained to butlins and i am awaiting a reply from them.

it was such a let down as the rest of the park was immaculate. everyone was very helpful. the shows were fab. we went half board and the food was excellent. the dining hall did get busy at times but we just found a quiet corner by the jacket spuds. i can say i really did enjoy my holiday and i would go back as i think we just had a poor cleaner. i would deffo recommend this for families as we only got noise from the seagulls!
i really think butlins has upped its game and invested a lot of money it would be a shame if it was let down just by poor cleaning in the rooms. come on butlins improve that small part and you would be practically perfect :-)

Room Tip: find a quiet corner in the dining room as itsbusy
4  Thank kezfiesta
ButlinsResorts, Public Relations Manager at Butlin's Minehead Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2011

Thanks for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Butlins Minehead. I'm sorry to hear about the issues you had with the cleanliness of your room - I know I'd be disappointed if that had happened to me. I'm glad you reported the problem, I'm sure this will be addressed on resort with the cleaning team and hopefully we can bring things to a satisfactory conclusion for you.

I was really pleased to hear you enjoyed the rest of your break and that you would recommend us to other families. I hope that if you come back again you won't experience the same problems and everything about your break will be spot on.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your comments and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards

Katie
Social Media Community Manager

Reviewed 3 July 2011

Took by daughter, husband and two grand sons to minehead, it was their first visit to Butlins and a wonderful time was had by all, in fact we managed to wear two boisterous boys out every day! Minehead has had a facelift since I had last visited which is a good improvement. We stayed in a very nicely decorated 3 bed apartment which was spotlessly clean on arrival. The food was good value and everyone found something to eat, which was a feat in itself as have 2 fussy people in the party! It was lovely to see my 2 grandsons doing things they had never done before and enjoying everything they tried. As we left Butlins the 8 year old said it was the best holiday ever! and his 5 year old brother agreed.

1  Thank lorrainehorley
Reviewed 1 July 2011

hi ya we stayed at a silver appartment when entering the appartment i noticed straight away tomato sauce down cupboards when i opened fridge there was sauce in fridge and all over microwave cleaners must go around with eyes shut when i complained i was brought toilet roll scourer wash up liquid to clean it myself the latches on windows were broken but apart from this had enjoyable break !

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank breadrin07
Reviewed 1 July 2011

We went on 20th June till 24th June stayed in Gold apartments which were clean but not really to gold standard. Was very annoyed as we had paid a lot for holiday the only things included was the swimming pool and the fairs, every other thing you had to pay for and it wasnt cheap. Also the slides in the swimming pool are not staffed very well. On the Wednesday they allowed my son to go on the water slide were you sit in a boat about 8 or 9 times then on the Thursday after we had waited for 20 minutes they said he was not tall enough, i was a bit concerned that they hadn't noticed this the day before and my son was really upset. The food wasn't that brilliant either there was not as much choice as we had expected for what we had paid. It was also struggled to get a table together there was 8 of us and we struggled to sit together.

1  Thank Sair03