“Great fun but take comfy bedding!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Minehead
Butlins Minehead Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Minehead
“Great fun but take comfy bedding!”
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Excellent fun for kids,plenty to do and lots of areas to relax for the adults. Beds have 'hospital' style waterproof covers which are near on impossible to sleep on,so take comfy bedding with you. Also watch out for the 2p and 10p machines,some of the winning shoots are taped up...my 8 yr old son was mad when he won lots of 2p's only to watch them get stuck in a taped up shoot!! Sneaky! Overall, good fun, would visit again x

• Stayed August 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (809)
Hornchurch
Reviewed 23 August 2011

I'll be perfectly honest, when my partner suggested taking my 13 year old son to Butlins at Minehead for our holiday I was very sceptical but reluctantly agreed, and I sure am glad I did. We stayed between 15th Aug to 22nd Aug and upon our arrival we were met by friendly helpful staff as we went through the painless booking in service.

Once on the site, we found everything to be very clean and tidy at all times. The gardens and flower beds were well maintained and nicely lit in the evenings. All staff were friendly throughout and willing to assist in any way possible.

The facilities were very well kept and kept clean. As soon as the pool closed, staff set about cleaning all the floors around the pool and throughout the changing rooms. I personally found it hard to fault the quality of the activities and the sheer number of things to do on site. Too many to list for sure.

The evening entertainments and shows were varied and some were excellent, like Circus Rocks. The other acts were all very well performed and everything ran to a good schedule.

My sons personal favourites were the Bumper Boats and Go Karts, but there really was so many other things for him to do, again, too many to list. The only thing we couldn't take part in was the paintballing which is for age 14+, still he found the quasar equally satisfying. The cinema, albeit small, showed some of the latest releases. The swimming pool had some really good slides and excellent wave machine. The fair ground was all free too.

There are several bars and pubs on site which were all fine, though avoided the irish one like the plague... karaoke.... need I say more. There were a good choice or places to snack on, though we tended to go out to country pubs for our main meals and just grabbed a snack late on. especially from the Cornish Pasty shop. The Spar supermarket was always open late and very well stocked.

So why did I not give Butlins all 5 stars, well here's the slightly negative bit. We stayed in the Silver rated room only accommodation which was fairly basic and for the money I would have liked a bit more comfort but we were only there to sleep and what with so much to do on site and in the surrounding area, we only ever did return to pick up things and sleep.
My other gripe was the necessity to book some things well in advance like the Bowling. SO my advice is, as soon as you are able, study the entertainment schedule and book things up early so not to miss out.
Things that got booked quickly were Kyaking, Water Walkers, Water Assault Course, Fencing and Archery. Though we still managed to get on most of these as we went through the week.

I had read some reviews complaining about prices of drinks and things being costly, but coming from London, I thought they seemed reasonable. Not all activities were free but I guess that was to be expected, though none seemed over priced except maybe the enormous climbing/abseiling construction.

And as for things to do and see off site.
The location of the site is wonderfully situated being close to Exmoor and Dunster. The steam train ride was a special experience which when through some lovely countryside, though there is nothing to see at the other end (Bishops Lydeard) try getting off at some of the other stations for a much better time (Watchet or Washford). Also it's a bit pricey so you may only want to go 5 or 6 stops anyway.

If you like sea fishing then book up with Steve who skippers the 'Scooby Doo Too' out of Watchet. Tel no. available at the Butlins Booking office. Steve was very knowledgeable about the local fishing and very friendly. Watchet is a very nice little marina too. We went out twice and caught a fair few.

Minehead beach was one of the cleanest and nicest sandy beaches I've seen in this country.

Exmoor is beautiful and there are so many great little pubs in quaint villages, perfect for some country cider and a ploughmans.

I hope you find this review useful. I was honestly very very impressed by the whole Butlins experience and certainly would recommend it to others, especially those with children. We all had a truly excellent time and would not hesitate going back again another year. My son especially wants to go again.

6 Thank Stickydragon
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2011

very good holiday , lovely people very friendly will be back with whole family next time.

Dawlish, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2011

myself and my partner decided we was going to go away for a few days so we booked up having never been to butlins before. we really enjoyed our stay apart from having noisy people in the next room to us that was constantly shouting at there 1 year old child. the food service in the restaraunt was really gd value as we went half board and there was something for everyone. the entertainment was exellent we went out a few times the drinks are reasonable we esspecially enjoyed the cocktails that they serve 2 for 8 pound. the swimming pool was very good also and we were pleased withthe help that the staff gave us if we needed to ask them anything. we would strongly reccomend butlins minehead to anyone. ty for a very enjoyable holiday.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Bucks
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Just come back from a long weekend here and overall it was ok.

The location was nice with a nice sandy beach just over the road. I stayed in a silver room which was very basic but as that’s what I was expecting it would have been ok if it had been cleaned properly. However, the stained sheets and toilet that had not been cleaned properly were not a good start and as no other accommodation was available they re-cleaned the room and to be fair it was better the second time.

The centre stage venue was good but filled up very early and was unbearably hot some of the time, the shows themselves were mostly good and the kids certainly enjoyed them. The swimming pool was also good and the kids loved the arcade. There is loads to do, possibly too much for a weekend and if you are looking to chill out and relax go somewhere else.

Now onto the food. The main meal in the evening was terrible (how is it possible to ruin chips?). Breakfast was good and the evening deserts were fine but all the main meal dishes I tried were equally horrible except for the jacket spuds. Now before you say it’s Butlins what were you expecting I wasn’t expecting fine dining I was expecting canteen food and frankly this was the worst canteen food I have ever encountered it made a service station look like a 5 star restaurant.

Oh and as I think someone else has mentioned the seagulls give a rousing dawn chorus at 6ish, they are so loud they woke me up every morning and with the light streaming in through the paper thin curtains I had real trouble getting back to sleep.

2 Thank DeaWBucks
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Our 1 week holiday in August 2011 has just finished - What an excellent week !!! We stayed in Silver Accommodation - It was spotless and in very good order. We stayed Half Board and have fussy kids (like most people) - Every night they easily found more than enough variety to enjoy a lovely meal (We were a little worried after reading some reviews - but it was excellent). There is plenty of variety, Roast Dinners, Fish and Chips, Lasagne, Curry, Chicken nuggets, Cod, Scampi, Soup, Jacket Potatoes ......... on and on. Wow I think I put on a stone !!! 1 week is just not enough to get in all the entertainment and things to do around the camp. After parking the car on the Monday we did not use it for the whole week !! I would recommend this holiday to all families, our kids are 7 and 15 and had no trouble at all entertaining them for the whole week.

Cheshire
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Visited Butlins MInehead last eyar and had a great time. We paid extra to have the premium dining and thought it was good value for money. So we decided to go back again this year as we enjoyed the premium dining last time we booked again. What a dissapointment, last year we ate in Yacht Club this was lovely this year we were put in Coast and this was horrible. it was so cramped and the colour scheme gave you a headache that and the screaming children running around every where. I know we have all been little and we do have a teenage daughter but do you really need to let your child bring their scooters into a dining room!!! Also the food was terrible and not good value for money. I chose the Pork steak one night and when cutting into it found it was pink inside and blood was visible in it, I didn't fancy a bout of food poisoning so told the serving staff who still let people take the food without checking to see if it was all cooked properly. Some nights the food was so poor we had to buy food out, some nights the only thing we ate were the roast vegetables even the puddings were the same everynight I love chocolate cake and cheesecake but after a few days it gets boring!! The rest of Butlins was very good very clean never once saw a piece of litter on the floor. Our room was OK and clean a little basic but you only needed it to sleeping. Two word of advice though take your own pillows as their pillows are so thin they made no difference if you were sleeping on the mattress and also bring some earplugs to blank out the noise of the seagulls, we never heard people comming back to their rooms but the birds were a different matter.
Will we be going back to Butlins MInehead I don't think so we did not think it was very good value for money, it seems so wrong that something that you pay extra for to try and have a good holiday can be such a disapointment and ruin a good holiday

1 Thank CheshireBlossom
ButlinsResorts, Public Relations Manager at Butlins Minehead Resort, responded to this review, 24 August 2011
Hello,

Thank you for your review.

I'm really disappointed that you didn't enjoy your your meals in our new Coast restaurant. Hopefully you spoke to the restaurant team or our guest services team while you were on Resort to tell them that you weren't happy with your experience so that they could help you before you went home.

I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of your experience and do hope that this will not put you off choosing Butlins for your family holiday next time.

Thanks again