“Going down hill. Seems Bognor gets all the investment”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Minehead
Butlins Minehead Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Minehead
west mids, UK
“Going down hill. Seems Bognor gets all the investment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

Having been to Bognor earlier in the year I thought it would be interesting to see how minehead compares.

Well its easy to see that Bognor gets all of the investmnent money. It has been 2 years since my last stay and the only thing that has changed in the Deck resaurant!

Positives
The gardens are excellent and well maintained they are kept spotless.
Premium dining in the deck was great not so good in the yacht club.
entertainment is good....when you get to see it

Negatives
Queues!!!!! we could not get into either of the evening venues for 2 nights of our stay. considering this is in term time I was disgusted as you pay for the entertainment and whats the point if you cant even get in there!
The redcoats. None of them seemed to put any enthusiasm into entertaining the kids. They seemed bored stupid!
Billy bear is not seen very often and only does one show!
BEDS. im 5'4 and my feet hung over the bottom of the bed! god help anyone who is tall. they are soooo uncomfortable.

Finally we stayed in a delux room with lounge and it was worth it, very clean.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (786)
Fowey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

We have just returned from our 4 day break. Our 2 year old absolutely loved it! We stayed in a gold apartment which was comfortable and clean, we included diner this time but wont bother next time it was a bit bland and over cooked, but it was by no means awful. The shows in the pavilion were great so we didnt bother queuing for the others. Lots of great things to do that are included the extras were great too we didnt mind paying for them.

• Stayed June 2013
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

Just returned from a short 4 night holiday (One of those cheap £15:00 Holidays using tokens in Daily Mail newspaper, the Sun newspaper also uses this resort).

Mostly have to say was impressed went Monday to Friday the choice of entertainment in the evenings was very good, watched tribute acts for Adele, Rolling Stones , Take That, Bee Gees and the Jacksons all were good quality.

Downside as previously mentioned is getting a seat although as there was only two of us we managed to find a spare pair each night, other downside is the drinks price very expensive unless you are from London a small bottle of VK (330ml) was £4.50 with a pint of Strongbow weighing in at about £3.50.

To counteract this visit Morrisons of Tescos both within 10mins walk of the site and stock up the fridge have a few before you go and save the pennies by visiting the bars less.

Other entertainment is as expected geared towards kids but there is loads for the kids to do some free some not, pool is good but go from three onwards as is less busy.

Food on site is quite expensive so just take a nice 15min stroll through Minehead town centre to the excellent Weatherspoons pub, loads of choice lovely large pub, relaxing atmosphere and dirt cheap prices, food was great and you get lots, drinks very cheap as well Strongbow comes in at £2.15 if memory serves correct but a lot of meals come with a drink includedpay it a visit you will not be disappointed.

Town wise not a big town in fact looks quiet run down, not in a shabby way but few empty shops with more closing just a shame as it could offer so much more but a sign of the times I suppose, also not a great deal to do in the surrounding area unless willing to drive.

Must give a special mention to Alcombe Complementary Health & Beauty Centre, booked my partner in for an Aromatherapy massage(full 1.5 hours) and she loved it, the staff, two were on at the time, were both very helpful and pleasant in fact it was so good she went back the next day and had a Pedicure and an Indian head massage (Thanks to Charlotte for slotting her in at short notice) again deffo worth a visit, they are busy so book in advance if possible but call anyway if at the Butlins camp and fancy doing something relaxing. Alcombe is only a twenty five tops minute walk from the camp but you can also drive there with free parking outside.

Also if in Alcombe it is worth visiting the Indian Restaurant, Tuesday and Wednesday is buffet night and for the reasonable price of £10.95 you have a starter, main, rice or Nan and a coffee or Ice cream (The missus had a Vegetarian Massala and I had the Madras and rice both went down lovely and the service was good to).

So to sum up the shows are excellent the camp is good, clean and the staff are friendly, food is expensive on site and the beds are awful, but would deffo come back as it is a nice relaxing place to visit with or without kids.

Room Tip: Rooms are basic to say the least and a bit dated so if comfort is your thing upgrade.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

Just back from my first trip to a Butlins. We had a great time, our little boy loved it. But there were good and bad points to the trip.

First the good!

The Nursery staff and facilities were fantastic. Before anybody asks "who puts their child in nursery on holiday", our son has Special Needs and routine is important to him and he attends SEN nursery at home so we wanted to maintain that. The Nursery Manager (Angela) and I spoke about our son attending, she made special arrangements to provide him with the support he needed; and he had a whale of a time there. The nursery is clean and bright, the girls are all very helpful and knowledgeable, and we had no worries about their ability to cope.

And the second surprisingly good factor was the food. We were self-catering and didn't eat in the larger food courts/restaurants, but did eat in the Sun & Moon pub and also had take-out from a couple of venues on site. The quality was really good - yes, you pay a premium for the chains but I expected that - everything was hot and fresh.

Now for the bad ...

Ants. Ants. Seagulls. Ants. The staff did powder our apartment & leave a trap for the ants, but it didn't work. I expected to see the seagulls as it is the coast, but I didn't expect to see one member of Butlins staff scattering breakfast cereal onto the grass to entice them.

Why advertise the fairground on their planner as being open Saturday until 9pm and then close it at 8pm (on a sunny evening)? Why only open it for one evening? Bored children do not make for fun, some even climbed over the cage into the trampolines. The fairground definitely needs updating too.

And finally - IF YOU ARE DISABLED, DON'T BOOK GOLD ACCOMMODATION IN MINEHEAD. All the other accommodation, you can get a pass that enables you to drive your vehicle close to your room/apartment. Despite me checking twice about being able to park close by before arriving, we found that the car-park for the Gold accommodation (1) is separate (2) has no disabled bays and (3) is used for the Day Pass Visitors, so if you arrive between 10 & 6 you stand no chance of finding a space.

Yes, we will go back. But we won't bother upgrading to Gold (what a waste of money).

Room Tip: Don't book Gold if you need to park close-by for disability reasons.
2 Thank Tigsteroonie
Fareham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

For the price you cant go wrong. Clean rooms to sleep and a nice lounge to sit in, food everyday day in the coast restaurant was good and so much to do on site we only went out once to see the steam trains..also what a beach so so much sand.

Room Tip: We had a silver bungalow was close to everything with a nice bit of grass outside to play.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

Just got back from minehead and we loved it. We stayed in a caravan by the lake and we look forward to coming back. It was great value and my girls really enjoyed it. Only downfall is my little girl left her white bunny on a ride in the arcade lastnight and as yet have not been reunited but if anyone knows of its whereabouts please contact minehead as shes had that bunny since birth and is devastated.

• Stayed June 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

I never thought I would ever have to write this but here goes....our group consisted of myself, my partner our 3 yr old quadruplets and my 2 sisters. We booked butlins as we wanted our young children to have a clean, safe environment in which they could play, swim, learn new skills etc. we normally holiday in Turkey/Spain/Cyprus etc but didn't want to take the kids anywhere too hot, so with barney, bob the builder etc at butlins we thought we were onto a winner. HOW WRONG WAS I? To get to our "accommodation" we had to walk past rows upon rows of shabby, rundown shacks! When we got to our rooms we couldn't believe our eyes. The carpets were filthy and covered in mould and layers of dust around edges and corners. The curtains were ancient and had prob been there from the 60's. the bedclothes whilst clean had a cold damp feel about them. The whole room in general had a cold damp feel and we had to put the heating on full blast all night to take the chill out of the place. The bathroom was thankfully not bad. We did book basic rooms only but I'm sorry...basic in my opinion means basic facilities...not a basic level of cleanliness.
We didn't complain as we'd been on a long journey and just wanted to get kids out to enjoy themselves.
The resort should be fabulous...has a fantastic pool, fairground rides, open spaces, lots to do....but it just isn't. It is spoiled by the following
1) the dreadful indoor pavilion..as soon as you walk in you are greeted by the stink of stale beer from one of the resorts bars. You then walk past the grossly overpriced shops into a large area crammed full of disgustingly child level gambling machines. (Funny that butlins can manage to find change machines and gambling machines at child level as they seem to have a problem finding child level toilets and sinks!...the only child level toilet facilities being in the filthy bob the builders yard.) When a kids show eg barney is on all the toddlers gather round the stage with the parents..no red coats to be seen..apart from 1 or 2 on stage. The kids and parents who have been unable to find a seat sit on the floor. I tried to sit on dance floor as the carpet has got to be the filthiest most disgusting I've ever seen. My kids were stuck to it. There is very little interaction between the performers and the children....probably due to lack of redcoats.
2) basic lack of hygiene standards throughout the resort. Dirty stinking carpets in places where there really shouldn't be a carpet in the first place. As I've already mentioned bobs yard looked like it had never been swept out. The reception carpets funny enough look like the only ones that have been vacuumed. The public areas in general are all horribly filthy with the exception of the reception, the sun and moon pub and the yacht and deck restaurants. There are inadequate facilities for children using toilets or just to wash hands.
3) extra costs are ridiculous...would cost a fortune if you were bringing older kids/teenagers.
4) lack of redcoats...saw about 3 or 4 of them. When I was a kid we went to butlins and took ourselves off for the day for various activities in the company of the redcoats...Sort this out, it's what makes butlins BUTLINS!
5) badly timed activities. Preschool stage acts all seem to be around meal times. Pre school soccer training at 9.15 with no late morning or afternoon sessions....Kids are eating their breakfasts at that time on holiday or have just finished so are running around on full stomachs!
6) creepy derelict chalets ...some used to store bed linen!!!
7) cold, unsympathetic staff and nasty company policies!
We arrived on a mon afternoon. At about 2am thurs morn one of my daughters randomly vomited on her bedclothes. We reported this so we could get clean bed linen. A very "nice" member of staff later rang questioning the reason for her being sick under the guise of wanting to offer further assistance if need be. He told me to contact guest services if anyone else became ill or if she got worse. About 5am on fri morn another of my daughters was sick. I rang him thinking perhaps they had an on site dr or nurse. He got me to fill in some forms about the episodes of sickness and while I was there I asked if perhaps we should upgrade in case we needed to keep indoors for rest of our stay. He was suggesting a risk of them having contracted food poisoning or a virus. I then expressed some of my views regarding the dirty carpets etc. I told him I doubted very much it was food poisoning as I found the deck and yacht restaurants to be clean, pleasant and the food well cooked. Well he as a fully trained Dr ...sorry my mistake customer service person! Was able to diagnose my children ...without having seen them! As having norovirus! He then told me to leave but that they would compensate us for the nights we would lose. Warning..check your terms and conditions. It's in there. He told me I was lucky as they would even give me cash. Well WhoopyDo!! ..not traceable cash is it! Another warning..if you accept the cash they will get you to sign a form of which you will not be allowed a copy!! This I would imagine would hinder you in any sort of insurance or law suit claim so watch out. What ensued was like a Basil Fawlty moment between myself and the "nice" young man. Incidentally his boss is a right piece of work! Lovely lady...not!!
I will NEVER be near butlins ever again. Shame this took place in one of my favourite parts of England. All I can say is that everyone and everything outside butlins was fabulous ...oh and poor Billy Butlins will be turning in his grave:-(

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank Sharon M

Travellers are raving about these Minehead hotels