“90's weekend”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Minehead
Butlins Minehead Resort
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Minehead
Derby, United Kingdom
“90's weekend”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed in Butlins minehead last year in what they call a 'silver' room and I was far from impressed, but I quite fancied trying the 90's weekend. It worked out far cheaper at Minehead than the other 2 Bulins so despite my previous experience I'd thought I'd give them another go.

Upgraded this time to the highest standard room that was available which was a Gold Appartment. Much better standard and I'd advise anyone to upgrade too as the silver rooms are awful. Location for the Gold apartments were good, right next to the action. Cleanliness still falls short (internal doors were filthy)

Entertainment over the weekend was good. It was adults only so the weekend was just one big alcohol fueled party with live music. Great fun if like us this is your thing. At £3.80 a pint and with the amount of alcohol that got sunk they must be making a fortune on these weekends!

I am sure last time I went there were certain areas which allowed free wifi. Now this has gone. C'mon Butlins! I know that your goal is to try squeeze every last penny out of everyone while they are here but when you are charging £3.80 a pint you could at least provide free wifi within the bar areas??!

I enjoyed it much more this time and the higher standard room probably contributed to this. But I still think that everything is so overpriced and remember they will try and completely empty your wallets (especially families with children) of your money once you are there with there not so all inclusive entertainment!

To summarise - good time, good music, empty wallet & bad hangover!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the highest standard room that is available that you can afford
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (799)
South Staffordshire
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We take the kids every year to Butlins in Minehead, and for obvious reasons they love it.
Well for my birthday we have just returned from a break there WITHOUT the kids. Just the 2 of us and we made the whole 7 days fit us perfectly. We didn't go mad and relaxed for the whole 7 days, taking in the quality shows during the evenings.
All in all, it's excellent for families with kids and also great for couples too.

The chalets are decent, not spectacular, but if you upgrade then you'll see the difference.
All of the pubs, clubs, restaurants and food outlets are spotless and the HB Restaurant is good too with great options. Just don't expect Michelin star grub, expect decent pub grub.
You're well looked after.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

Having visited this butlins and the ocloser Having regis with our children, my husband and I decided to visit on our own.
I was a bit apprehensive about having a holiday here without any children, but I needn't have worried as we had a fantastic time!!
We stayed in a deluxe room with lounge and had premium dining.
The room was lovely- had its own little garden, sliding patio doors, lovely lounge, furnished to a high standard. Large bedroom. The whole place was immaculate.
Having only stayed in basic rooms before, this was a whole new experience!
Premium dining was another welcome surprise. Having only dined in the food court before, I can honestly say it is definitely worth the extra money. Lovely choice of food and very fresh.
As always, lots to do on site, with a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.
Love minehead itself as well. I live closer to bognor butlins, but would rather make the extra journey to visit this one.
Have booked to come back in december for xmas fantasy.

• Stayed September 2013
London
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We booked this 4 night break via a well known newspaper, as they were offering holidays for £9.50pp. However, by the time we added on the extra costs for; bed linen, guaranteed ground floor apartment (we had an infant with a pram) and we upgraded from basic to silver apartment it cost us just under £40pp.

Originally our party consisted of 6 adults and 1 infant so we booked a three bedroom ground floor silver apartment. However, 2 of our party had to pull out at the last minute, which actually worked out well because the bedrooms were very small and I don't know how we would have fitted a cot in any of the rooms (we ended up stacking two of the single beds on top of one another in one of the bedrooms to make room for our travel cot).

It looked like a recent half hearted attempt had been made to redecorate the apartment with a new looking carpet, sofas & kitchen. The windows however, must have been the originals - there were single glazed and didn't shut properly, neither did the front door. The main thing I did notice about the apartment was that it was not very clean. Maybe this is me just being a bit OTT, what with having a one year old crawling about everywhere, but I felt like the whole apartment needed thoroughly disinfecting! The beds were surprisingly comfortable and the apartment block we stayed in was surprisingly quiet in the evenings which meant we all got a good nights sleep.

We only visited the swimming pool once, this was because the water was far too cold for my one year old - she was turning blue! If I had known the water was going to be that cold I would have packed her wetsuit!

We popped into the skyline pavilion a couple of times, but to be honest it wasn't really our cup of tea. We found it all a bit chavtastic to be honest. Plus it seemed that what ever entrance you came into the pavilion there was a strong odour of stale smoke and urine. We didn't go to see any of the shows, again because the 'Centre Stage' room smelt like the mens toilets, so I cant comment on the entertainment.

We ate at the sun and moon pub one night. The food was ok (pub grub) but very expensive. I would recommend going to the Duke of Wellington (Weatherspoons on Minehead high street) instead as the food is just as good but about 1/3 cheaper. The other nights we cooked in our apartment - the cooker, fridge etc was sufficient for our needs.

We ended up using Bultins as a base, just sleeping there really. We spent a day at the nearby Dunster Castle and gardens - I would recommend this place. We spent another day at Tropaquarium - excellent if you have children. We also went to Exmoor national park - the views are amazing.

All in all, we had a fun week away but this had little to do with the facilities and staff at Butlins.
I doubt we will go there again.

Room Tip: If you have a young child and are taking a pushchair its worth paying a little extra to guarantee a...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank I_L0ve_H0lidays_2010
bristol
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We travelled on august bank holiday and had a fantastic time. The kids (aged 6/6/8) had so much to do we couldn't fit it all in. we paid extra for the high ropes and the circus which were thoroughly enjoyed. The only downside was queuing for the evening entertainment if you wanted a decent seat. If you didn't want to see the first show you could get a seat around 9pm once all the younger ones went home otherwise you had to queue early (this was in reds). we stayed in a silver bungalow 2 mins from bobs yard and the rooms couldn't have been better. had a fantastic time and for the money we paid we would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Cardiff
Reviewed 20 September 2013

In the many years that I have been contributing to Trip Advisor and after the many establishments visited I sadly have to say that this is the worst review which I have had cause to write.I have tried to be fair in my comments and which hopefully will be of help to fellow travellers.
I booked room only accommodation here for 6 nights for my son (9 years) and myself (thank goodness it was not for any longer) relying upon the on line 360 degree presentation and description on the Butlins Web Site.The first point is do not rely upon this as in reality the rooms are of far inferior quality in many respects.If you can imagine POW huts in long rows then you will not be far off.This accommodation was built when the camp was first set up in the 1960's and has had little attention since.In reality they need to be bulldozed down and new accommodation built in it's place.The room did not compare to the photos on line in material respects,it was grubby and the beds were in reality Camp Beds (see earlier reviews) which were terrible and add to this paper thin walls and you are not in for a decent nights rest! I accept that a room on holiday is only a base but there are minimum standards and here in my opinion they were not met!
The remainder of what you pay for covers a limited number of 1960's rides, a certain number of Shows,some outside entertainment and the Indoor Swimming Pool.All of the rides operate height restrictions and during our visit several were out of commission.The queues for the Shows were approximately one and a half hours long! I know because I sat and watched the difference being I was sat down enjoying a beer or coffee! My little one was just not up to waiting in a line that long and I heard many parents saying the same.The outside entertainment amounted to a Bouncey Pillow (queue again) and some limited climbing stuff and a kick about area.Apart from this you paid-and it was not cheap!The only credible thing on offer quite frankly was the Indoor Swimming Pool.This was first class and although very crowded at peak season did offer first class and a well organised experience.
The food obviously is not included.It is open to you to opt for the Butlins meal arrangements or to forage off the eateries as we chose to do.The food prices are far from cheap and neither are drinks.I would suggest that you look into this before you go as you may end up making the wrong choices.When we did eat on the Butlins eateries we were not disappointed with quality although as I say not cheap.The best value which we found was Finnegan's in the main Centre.This we both felt was good value and quality with some good choices.
In short therefore you are paying a lot of money for what in reality is a very inferior and low quality product.The only good thing going for it is the Swimming Pool- but it's a lot of money to pay for a nice swim!
In a way I guess that Butlins have been very clever in that they have created an inferior product which people queue for and pay for over the odds.I take no satisfaction in writing this review and earnestly suggest that you shop around before parting with you hard earned money!

Room Tip: avoid room only options at all costs!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank gardenmanCardiff

Travellers are raving about these Minehead hotels

Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Just arrived home this afternoon from a four night week break at Butlins Minehead Resort. Arrived at the resort at approximately 13:30 on 16.09.13. Upon entering the resort my family and I were greeted at the security gate by a very friendly Redcoat and were told to drive to the side car park and then proceed to check in.

Upon check in my wife was informed that our room was not available until 16:00 so we would have to Mae you of the skyline pavilion and surrounding amusements. We spent several hours killing time and spending a fortune for our four year old daughter to have a go on all the amusements, arcade machine and 2p pushers. We decided to eat at Pizza Hut, the food was good and only ever so slightly more expensive than a hut outside if the resort.

After killing several hours, it was finally time to get into our bronze apartment. It took us an hour to find the block, we had to drive and park at the very bottom car park next to where the Butlins employees park. We finally found our accommodation and let ourselves in. My first impression of the outside look of the building was grim, this only got worse when I entered the building. It was cramped and very outdated. Our bed sheets has holes in them and we're were only proved with one roll of toilet paper for the whole four days (lucky we brought our own). Despite asthetics the room wasn't too bad, it was extremely basic but comfortable and I decided not to dwell on it too much as we intended get out and make the most of what Butlins had to offer. We did have one issue with the toilet not flushing but this was quickly resolved by maintenance staff which I had text via the text service.

The on site facilities at the resort are very good, the pool is great for the children and most of the shows are fantastic (avoid the beauty and the beast panto).

The outside funfair attraction rides are free of charge and the bob the builders yard attraction also free. The only downside is the arcade machines and kiddies rides in the pavilion. Butlins also does the dreaded tickets whereby you spend a fortune, your child mins tickets and gets a cheap worthless toy in exchange.

In conclusion I can say that the place is very clean, lots of fun for the kids, very expensive, bog standard accommodation, no free wifi. Would go again but only if going abroad was somehow not an option.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family