“Ok, but would have been better without the other people!”
Review of Butlin's Minehead

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Minehead
Butlin's Minehead
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Minehead
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed for 4 nights Monday to friday 23rd-27th September, two adults and a 2.5 year old toddler. We were in a Gold Apartment on Plantation Quay and went for Premium Dining at the Deck Restaurant.

Pros: The food was lovely, the restaurant clean, bright and airy, and there was something for everyone, and lots of naughty puddings. We loved the Wok Station and the pasta bar, as well as the carveries and choice of fish.meat etc. Breakfasts were great too. For lunch we self-catered, we took bread, cheese, apples etc with us and it was all we needed as the two other meals were huge :-)

The apartment interior was not luxury, but it was very clean, comfortable and cosy. We didnt really hear any noise from our neighbours so that was fine. The beds were very comfortable, we all slept really well all week. It had a big flat screeen tv with plenty of channels, and we were able to get high speed internet on our phones all week (not that we needed it really) even though the wi-fi wasnt free after 15 mins.

The Splash Waterworld was a good included extra, we went there twice and our daughter loved it. Bob the Builder's Yard (toddlers fun fair) was also well used by her, as were the numerous playgrounds and the soft play area in the Syline Pavilion. She also loved the trampolines and the bouncy pillow. The childrens nursery was lovely and the staff great, my daughter attended for one two-hour session and she seemed to really enjoy that, and it was great value at only £6 for the session.

The Cons: Basically the behaviour of many of the other guests spoiled it for us, I agree with one of the other reviewers who mentioned Jeremy Kyle - certainly that is what we were thinking! We are pretty down-to-earth and not in any way snobs, but basically a lot of the people were just rough, the language and the general behaviour was not good. I found it all a bit depressing to be honest.

Smoking: Butlins really need to sort this out, in every area of the resort (that was outdoors) people just smoked constantly, so that even though you are in the open air, you are constantly breathing in other people's smoke, not pleasant, and not good for the kids either. There were always a lot of staff around, I dont think it would be that difficult to restrict it to certain areas.

The exterior of a lot of the accommodation was very tired, it didnt give a great first impression, although our apartment was nice inside, the iron outdoor stairs leading up to it were very rusty with peeling paint, all of the apartments looked like this, considering they were "Gold" we were lead to expect a bit better. Mind you were were very lucky judging by what I have read on here from other reviews, and by some of the older style chalets I walked past, they looked really grim!

To sum up: it was ok for what we paid, (£370 as we saved extra by booking early) for 5 days including food, but dont expect too much, and dont pay full price as I think you will feel ripped off.

Room Tip: Gold apartments were nice and clean and modern, with very comfortable beds. We were in a block calle...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank DorsetHelena

Reviewed 4 October 2013

We stayed on a sun promotion break, which ended up being £150 for 3 of us, but it was still great value. However, we paid for the Ents passes & there was no passes as such and no one ever asked to see any proof from us (so next time don't bother, you get it all anyhow!)
The chalet wasn't very clean and it was very small. This was classed as an upgraded chalet as well! The mattresses were very thin & the beds are smaller than the average.
However, all that being said the facilities and the service on site we couldn't fault. My 2yr old loved the variety of skyline shows, parks & bob the builder area with free rides. The pool was also a hit & showers nice and warm.
We will return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

We returned after spending a week last year and not loving it. We thought we'd try a weekend!

It was the worst decision deciding to give it another chance. It was horrendous!

Problems:

There was a party on the Friday night in apartment above which lasted until 1.30am.
The cooker was not working and reported it and still wasn't working 7 hours later.
Food was wasted.
We had to eat out which cost us a lot as the prices are ridiculous and the whole reason for taking our own food. Burger King for 2 adults and 1 child was £18.
We was moved from a ground floor to a first floor even though paid extra for ground floor (my husband has a disability).
We spent Saturday morning in guest services complaining about noise and cooker.
We had to move on Saturday which took hours (wasted day).
The only full day we had was Sunday and that day was a disaster.
We was next door to someone smoking weed all night long.
The smoke filled our apartment.
I had to use towels to stop the smoke filling my child's bedroom.
The front door couldn't be covered because it was coming through the top and sides.
The man next door then turned violent.
He was kicking and punching the door.
He was hanging off the stair well and knocking the window.
This went on all night long.
We sat up all night frightened and scared for our child's safety.

We couldn't report it in the middle of the night because we couldn't a 4 year old at 3.30am.
If we reported it he might turn violent to us and we couldn't put our child at risk as Butlins don't take these things seriously.
That night we didn't sleep at all.
I called guest services to complain the next morning at 7am they told me to call back when they opened.

The girl in guest services said thanks for letting her now and she'll have a word with him.
We then left Monday morning at 9.30am.
All the family were sick on Monday which we think may have been down to the drugs.

I made a formal complaint. Got 2 replies both which Butlins won't accept responsibility and they won't give me my money back. It was £150 probably pennies for them but for us it was our only family holiday for this year.

I will be going to the ombudsman for them to sort this out.

I'd recommend everyone to keep well away from Butlins. I for sure would never take children there.

If you love Jeremy Kyle Butlins is the place to go.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank EJtotone
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This was my third trip to Butlins Minehead, and my first adult only weekend. Went with a gang of work mates, and had an absolutely brilliant time. I would say that this is not a sophisticated weekend away, you have to go with an open mind, and enjoy the cheesiness of it all. The theme was the 80s, and the resort turned itself over to thousands of people in fancy dress, all out to have a thoroughly good time.

Our silver plus chalet was basic, but could have been somewhat cleaner. Not sure I'd stay in one of these with the kids, but for a group of adults just looking for somewhere to get their head down, it was fine. I would advise people to take their own towels (not provided), toilet rolls (not enough provided), washing up liquid (little 5ml bottle provided), slippers (grubby carpets) and pillows (the ones provided were wafer thin).

The dining options around the resort have improved since my last visit, but there is no denying it becomes quite costly, as prices on site are higher.

The live entertainment was fabulous, with some great 80s artists, and fantastic tribute bands. Every staff member I spoke to was polite and pleasant.

As an adult weekend novice, at times it felt like I'd walked into the Star Wars bar, or ended up at the UKs largest hen / stag do. If that fills you with horror, a Butlins adults only weekend is not for you. I have to say, against all my expectations I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Room Tip: Take your own pillows and towels
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
ButlinsResorts, Butlins Customer Care Advisor at Butlin's Minehead, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I'm so glad to read about how much you enjoyed your Ultimate 80’s Live Music Weekend. We are so proud of our entertainments so are delighted to hear your comments.

I'm sorry that you found your apartment could have been cleaner, I hope you were able to speak to one of our friendly housekeeping team as they’d of been happy to help with any issues in your accommodation and ensure that you were comfortable for the rest of your stay. We pride ourselves on the standard of cleanliness in all aspects of our resort so are disappointed and again apologise that your experience did not match your expectations.

We advise guests to take their own towels and toiletries as they are not provided in Silver accommodation, I apologise if you were not informed of this before travelling. For future reference it may be worth considering hiring these on resort as it can save you going to the trouble of taking towels with you.

We also offer fantastic dining plans which you can pre-book. This may be more suitable if you want to keep the cost of food down for your future breaks as you save 20% by booking the food before you go. This applies to both our Premium Dining and Food Court Options. Of course, if your preference it to eat at other restaurants, there are often special offers that can be of benefit to you.

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the fantastic entertainment we offer on our Live Music Weekends, it sounds like you had an amazing time. I will make sure the team get to see your kind words as they’ll be thrilled.

We look forward to having the chance to welcome you back again soon for another break.

Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from n ultimate 80s weekend!! The entertainment was fab n couldn't fault it! Was very busy a lots of hen n stags there! Brilliant boozy weekend but the room/ accommodation was awful!!!!! Stunk musky n damp. Even on my clothes ! Bathroom stunk of urine ! Mold on shower! Not even basic rooms there not fit for a dog. Could of slept stood up so I didn't have to lay on them damp camp beds! I slept fully clothed n woke up with saw throat due to the damp! In conclusion fab weekend but dreaded bed time

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Booked a standard room and got a good deal for this with the deluxe dining option. Was surprised to get a good clean room, could always be a bit bigger but this is a preference rather than a necessity! Bathroom had a modern shower and we were lucky not to have neighbours as the park wasn't sold out so had quiet nights with no disturbances. Beds were comfy considering they are camp beds but did take own pillows/sleeping bag to be on the safe side, sleeping bag added extra comfort as an extra to lay on! The only complaint I would have was the milk they provided for the in room tea/coffee making facilities was disgusting so we survived without. There was an issue with our key card but this was sorted as the whole lock had to be changed, we were surprised at how quick their response was. The food was nice with a great choice of dishes, the chicken curry was really tasty and there was a different choice of roast meats each night which was good, roast beef and turkey especially nice! Breakfast was the best with either fruit, kipper (if that's your type of thing), croissants, jam, toast, cereals, bacon, scrambled/fried eggs, mushrooms, beans, tomatoes, fried bread, sausages, yogurts, fruit juice, unlimited tea/coffee, fresh omelettes made to order, pancakes....the list goes on! Resort was good, bit disappointed that you had to pay for some activities such as crazy golf...think they should be free! The pool was ace, the entertainment was really good fun, the Jackson show, Blues on the move, Sesame street, tina turner, adele tribute, take that tribute, Supersaurus was really good covering rock songs/bands. Don't have kids but could see that they really enjoyed the kid shows in the skyline. The inn on the green pub was good to chill out in the afternoon with some drinks ( happy hour between 4-7). Was a good week and would go back again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tania L

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

It’s great to know that you found your accommodation as clean and comfortable as possible. If you found you did not have enough pillows or would prefer an extra quilt in the future, I hope you know you’re able to contact our friendly Guest Services team who’d of been happy to sort this for you and make you as cosy as possible.

In terms of the milk that was not to your taste, we do offer complimentary pots of this to get you started when you arrive. If your preference is fresh milk, this can be purchased for a very reasonable cost from our on resort Spar supermarket. We do also have restaurants and bars where you can buy something a little more special if a cappuccino or latte more to your taste.

I’m delighted that you found plenty of choice in our restaurants on resort and glad you found them really tasty, I will be sure to show this to our catering team as they’ll be really chuffed.

Some activities we offer are chargeable, this is just a small fee to cover the costs of the equipment. I will pass your feedback on to our team as they’re the best people to look into new ways of improving things for the future and making these experiences the best they can be whilst maintaining great value for money.

We feel we offer a wide selection of entertainment and activities for all ages, so it’s great that you enjoyed some of our fantastic tribute acts and swimming in Splash Waterworld.

We look forward to having the chance of welcoming you back for another break soon.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

It's a shame I have to mark this place down because if I was marking it on children's entertainment it would be 5 stars!!

The room we paid for was basic yet clean and spacious. No towels are provided so you have to take your own.

The curtains in the rooms need to be blackout... We had a light outside our window and even with the curtains closed it was as if we had the light on in the room all night which made it very difficult to sleep. The mattresses weren't the comfiest so this added to the issue.

We paid extra for the dining plan and was annoyed due to people who hadn't paid sneaking in through the fire exits and helping themselves to free food throughout the holiday. We told the staff who did nothing so visited reception and we were told it was an issue they were dealing with and thinking of a solution. In the meantime customers still helped themselves to food they hadn't paid for...

The food was bland and breakfast was the same everyday and often burnt.

I would only recommend this resort to families with small children as the entertainment for them is fantastic however I suggest they eat off site!

Room Tip: Mobile signal is very bad around the area and 3G is a no go. Minehead is lacking everything so you n...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
ButlinsResorts, Butlins Customer Care Advisor at Butlin's Minehead, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I’m glad you found your room was spacious and clean, our housekeeping team work hard to ensure that all rooms and apartments are cleaned and maintained to a high standard. We do advise our guests to take their own towels and toiletries as these are not provided in all accommodations, and I apologise if this was not made clear to you prior to your arrival. We do offer a housekeeping service which you can add to your booking. This is great value for money and includes towels, a daily clean of your accommodation, the beds made daily and your washing up done for you if you are staying an apartment. This may be worth considering if you do return to us, it’s a very popular option!

We want our guests to be as comfortable as possible so I will make sure your feedback regarding the mattresses and curtains is shown to our accommodation team as they value feedback so much. It helps them to make improvements that in turn make our Guests stays as comfortable as they can be.

I’m really sorry to read about people sneaking in to the restaurants without paying and taking the food. As the team on resort mentioned, this is an issue we are dealing with and looking for solutions to ensure this cannot happen in the future. I apologise if you did not enjoy the food that you found it to be unsuitable. I hope you managed to speak to one of the restaurant team as they’d of been able to help you with this and make you something fresh. Our aim within all of our restaurants is provide quality and choice for everyone to enjoy, I apologise that your experience was not of the standard that we strive to offer across our resorts.

We feel we offer a variety of entertainment suitable for families with children of all ages and there is something for everyone. We offer lots of activities and entertainments suitable for adults such as: top quality tribute acts, pantomimes, stand up comedians, our Splash Waterworld and much more.

Thank you again for your review, we would love the opportunity to welcome you back to Butlins again in the future.