Butlin's Minehead Resort
US$114
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
3,898 results
All reviewssilver apartmentpremium diningred coatsyacht clubtotspizza hutskyline gangself cateringfireman samfood courtskyline pavilionfood packagewave machineswimming poolstandard apartmentlazy riversplash waterworld
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed for 4 nights Monday to friday 23rd-27th September, two adults and a 2.5 year old toddler. We were in a Gold Apartment on Plantation Quay and went for Premium Dining at the Deck Restaurant.

Pros: The food was lovely, the restaurant clean, bright and airy, and there was something for everyone, and lots of naughty puddings. We loved the Wok Station and the pasta bar, as well as the carveries and choice of fish.meat etc. Breakfasts were great too. For lunch we self-catered, we took bread, cheese, apples etc with us and it was all we needed as the two other meals were huge :-)

The apartment interior was not luxury, but it was very clean, comfortable and cosy. We didnt really hear any noise from our neighbours so that was fine. The beds were very comfortable, we all slept really well all week. It had a big flat screeen tv with plenty of channels, and we were able to get high speed internet on our phones all week (not that we needed it really) even though the wi-fi wasnt free after 15 mins.

The Splash Waterworld was a good included extra, we went there twice and our daughter loved it. Bob the Builder's Yard (toddlers fun fair) was also well used by her, as were the numerous playgrounds and the soft play area in the Syline Pavilion. She also loved the trampolines and the bouncy pillow. The childrens nursery was lovely and the staff great, my daughter attended for one two-hour session and she seemed to really enjoy that, and it was great value at only £6 for the session.

The Cons: Basically the behaviour of many of the other guests spoiled it for us, I agree with one of the other reviewers who mentioned Jeremy Kyle - certainly that is what we were thinking! We are pretty down-to-earth and not in any way snobs, but basically a lot of the people were just rough, the language and the general behaviour was not good. I found it all a bit depressing to be honest.

Smoking: Butlins really need to sort this out, in every area of the resort (that was outdoors) people just smoked constantly, so that even though you are in the open air, you are constantly breathing in other people's smoke, not pleasant, and not good for the kids either. There were always a lot of staff around, I dont think it would be that difficult to restrict it to certain areas.

The exterior of a lot of the accommodation was very tired, it didnt give a great first impression, although our apartment was nice inside, the iron outdoor stairs leading up to it were very rusty with peeling paint, all of the apartments looked like this, considering they were "Gold" we were lead to expect a bit better. Mind you were were very lucky judging by what I have read on here from other reviews, and by some of the older style chalets I walked past, they looked really grim!

To sum up: it was ok for what we paid, (£370 as we saved extra by booking early) for 5 days including food, but dont expect too much, and dont pay full price as I think you will feel ripped off.

Room Tip: Gold apartments were nice and clean and modern, with very comfortable beds. We were in a block called Damson Green number 107, and it was really quiet, but near the car park and near to all the main attractions.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank DorsetHelena
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We stayed on a sun promotion break, which ended up being £150 for 3 of us, but it was still great value. However, we paid for the Ents passes & there was no passes as such and no one ever asked to see any proof from us (so next time don't bother, you get it all anyhow!)
The chalet wasn't very clean and it was very small. This was classed as an upgraded chalet as well! The mattresses were very thin & the beds are smaller than the average.
However, all that being said the facilities and the service on site we couldn't fault. My 2yr old loved the variety of skyline shows, parks & bob the builder area with free rides. The pool was also a hit & showers nice and warm.
We will return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

We returned after spending a week last year and not loving it. We thought we'd try a weekend!

It was the worst decision deciding to give it another chance. It was horrendous!

Problems:

There was a party on the Friday night in apartment above which lasted until 1.30am.
The cooker was not working and reported it and still wasn't working 7 hours later.
Food was wasted.
We had to eat out which cost us a lot as the prices are ridiculous and the whole reason for taking our own food. Burger King for 2 adults and 1 child was £18.
We was moved from a ground floor to a first floor even though paid extra for ground floor (my husband has a disability).
We spent Saturday morning in guest services complaining about noise and cooker.
We had to move on Saturday which took hours (wasted day).
The only full day we had was Sunday and that day was a disaster.
We was next door to someone smoking weed all night long.
The smoke filled our apartment.
I had to use towels to stop the smoke filling my child's bedroom.
The front door couldn't be covered because it was coming through the top and sides.
The man next door then turned violent.
He was kicking and punching the door.
He was hanging off the stair well and knocking the window.
This went on all night long.
We sat up all night frightened and scared for our child's safety.

We couldn't report it in the middle of the night because we couldn't a 4 year old at 3.30am.
If we reported it he might turn violent to us and we couldn't put our child at risk as Butlins don't take these things seriously.
That night we didn't sleep at all.
I called guest services to complain the next morning at 7am they told me to call back when they opened.

The girl in guest services said thanks for letting her now and she'll have a word with him.
We then left Monday morning at 9.30am.
All the family were sick on Monday which we think may have been down to the drugs.

I made a formal complaint. Got 2 replies both which Butlins won't accept responsibility and they won't give me my money back. It was £150 probably pennies for them but for us it was our only family holiday for this year.

I will be going to the ombudsman for them to sort this out.

I'd recommend everyone to keep well away from Butlins. I for sure would never take children there.

If you love Jeremy Kyle Butlins is the place to go.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank EJtotone
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This was my third trip to Butlins Minehead, and my first adult only weekend. Went with a gang of work mates, and had an absolutely brilliant time. I would say that this is not a sophisticated weekend away, you have to go with an open mind, and enjoy the cheesiness of it all. The theme was the 80s, and the resort turned itself over to thousands of people in fancy dress, all out to have a thoroughly good time.

Our silver plus chalet was basic, but could have been somewhat cleaner. Not sure I'd stay in one of these with the kids, but for a group of adults just looking for somewhere to get their head down, it was fine. I would advise people to take their own towels (not provided), toilet rolls (not enough provided), washing up liquid (little 5ml bottle provided), slippers (grubby carpets) and pillows (the ones provided were wafer thin).

The dining options around the resort have improved since my last visit, but there is no denying it becomes quite costly, as prices on site are higher.

The live entertainment was fabulous, with some great 80s artists, and fantastic tribute bands. Every staff member I spoke to was polite and pleasant.

As an adult weekend novice, at times it felt like I'd walked into the Star Wars bar, or ended up at the UKs largest hen / stag do. If that fills you with horror, a Butlins adults only weekend is not for you. I have to say, against all my expectations I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Room Tip: Take your own pillows and towels
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
ButlinsResorts, Butlins Customer Care Advisor at Butlin's Minehead Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I'm so glad to read about how much you enjoyed your Ultimate 80’s Live Music Weekend. We are so proud of our entertainments so are delighted to hear your comments.

I'm sorry that you found your apartment could have been cleaner, I hope you were able to speak to one of our friendly housekeeping team as they’d of been happy to help with any issues in your accommodation and ensure that you were comfortable for the rest of your stay. We pride ourselves on the standard of cleanliness in all aspects of our resort so are disappointed and again apologise that your experience did not match your expectations.

We advise guests to take their own towels and toiletries as they are not provided in Silver accommodation, I apologise if you were not informed of this before travelling. For future reference it may be worth considering hiring these on resort as it can save you going to the trouble of taking towels with you.

We also offer fantastic dining plans which you can pre-book. This may be more suitable if you want to keep the cost of food down for your future breaks as you save 20% by booking the food before you go. This applies to both our Premium Dining and Food Court Options. Of course, if your preference it to eat at other restaurants, there are often special offers that can be of benefit to you.

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the fantastic entertainment we offer on our Live Music Weekends, it sounds like you had an amazing time. I will make sure the team get to see your kind words as they’ll be thrilled.

We look forward to having the chance to welcome you back again soon for another break.

Kind Regards,
Natasha.

Butlins Customer Care.

Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from n ultimate 80s weekend!! The entertainment was fab n couldn't fault it! Was very busy a lots of hen n stags there! Brilliant boozy weekend but the room/ accommodation was awful!!!!! Stunk musky n damp. Even on my clothes ! Bathroom stunk of urine ! Mold on shower! Not even basic rooms there not fit for a dog. Could of slept stood up so I didn't have to lay on them damp camp beds! I slept fully clothed n woke up with saw throat due to the damp! In conclusion fab weekend but dreaded bed time

• Stayed: September 2013