“Best of British?”
Review of Butlin's Minehead

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Minehead
Butlin's Minehead
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Minehead
liverpool
“Best of British?”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed here from the 4th to 7th October, 2 adults. We booked a late room from the Butlins site, £240 for a room in the Ocean view apartments ( chalets really) on the first floor with premium dining in the deck restaurant.
After arriving, brilliant check-in lasted only a minute or two, given a map of the place ( its really quite small and makes for a lovely stroll) and our B-line tickets which allowed us to get into the shows early ( but only had to use this for the last night). We were sent to the wrong car park in the Blueskies entrance, 5 minutes of security faffing around to be sent back to where we came from! The walk to the rooms wasn't very impressive, past a block of dilapidated chalets that looked and smelled like they were being used as doss houses for a group of tramps, but no matter. Got to the apartment once we worked out the lettering system, up a set of metal stairs that were a bit slippery in the wet, but then found the central wooden stairs-far safer. As for the apartment it had a double and two twins, all were quite comfy, but the mattresses were incontinence proof and could leave you feeling a bit sweaty! The carpets were soiled, the bathroom was small ( great for us 2, but if the other beds had been utilised would have made things a bit tight) but recently done-up with a very simple to use shower.
The deck restaurant was newly refurbished, had to give our details in the first night and were then shown the ropes by 'Stuart Little'. Food was canteen style, all you want, breakfast brilliant ( fried mushrooms v.good, fried bread, wonderful hash-browns, bacon by the pig-load, eggs ok, but have the sausages from the kids set-up, far nicer, and fantastic kippers all washed down with your fill of tea/ coffee/ OJ) and every night I had the carvery which was as good as any I have had. the missus tried the pasta bar where everything was cooked how she liked ( and she's a fussy so-and-so), but after seeing the carvery she had that the next 2 nights! There was soup to start, which varied in quality over the nights, and cheese and variety of puds, both hot and cold, which were also excellent.
The staff, on the whole, were excellent, although there were a few that couldn't understand English ( at least not Scouse!) and NOTHING was too much for them- everything we asked for was in the room by the time we got back, from a hairdrier and iron when they weren't working on the first night ( reported at reception, and then in the room by the time it took us to get back to get changed-wow!) to asking one of the doorstaff if he could get us some loo roll and cutlery for the room-straight on the walkie-talkie and again there by the time we got back after the show!
As for the venues, some good and some bad. The Central stage was enormous ( but did have some restricted views) and did smell a bit like a wet dog until it 'warmed-up' with people ( or we got used to it!). Reds bar very good,Jaks not so ( no place to sit, and seemed like 10 to 2 in the Grafton), Inn on the Green and Sun & Moon pubs very nice as was the Sports bar. The pub on the lake, The Highwayman, very rough looking but a nice view over the lake from the beer garden ( until a big rush of water from some kind of pipe, hopefully not the sewers, ruined the tranquillity)
As for the entertainment, it was brilliant, keeping all ages entertained, plenty of double-entendres to keep the adults amused ( especially the Cirque du Hilarious) whilst having the kids rolling around. The Redcoats were excellent fun ( my missus having a particular soft-spot for Redcoat Kyle, as did every other woman and girl in the place, must be the hair!) and got all the kids involved, but some of the music played by the DJ was bordering on inappropriate, as were some of the outfits worn by the female dancers ( kept the Dads watching!), but on the whole very professional, well produced West-End quality.
Didn't try the splash-world, so cannot comment, but the fair was good ( excellent speedy go-karts!), archery, led by the very informative , patient and accommodating Steve ( which I won! Yeah!), bowling ( only 1 game and not say 1/2 hours worth like you'd get in mega-bowl) and target shooting ( in a very scruffy hall) lead by a very thickly accented eastern European girl who was a bit of a misery! these were all on the activities pass, and saved a few quid, but everything needed booking in advance, so book early. Had a go on the American pool, good value at £3.50 a half-hour, and there was even a snooker table you could play on ( but the missus is still learning pool, so too much). Plenty of things in the arcades, with the prizes also on sale in a lot of the shops, but playing the games is all the fun, no?
Spar on site a little more expensive than Tescos up the road, but not by much, so shopped there. Had a late night snack in the chippy, very good, and the pizza hut, again good but both slightly more expensive than outside, but not so much that you would trek into town.
Alcohol more expensive, but the missus bought her own and I was on the San Miguel which was ok even if it was £3.80 a pint, but the shows were that engrossing that you spent more time watching them ( although a timely trip to the bar saved me from having to get on a giant unicycle the night of the circus!).
Kids, now Butlins is a family resort, so expect lots of them, but I can honestly say, that apart from a few trips and slips, that I never saw one screaming child throughout my stay, they were that entertained, and the sight of all the families up and dancing was lovely, so kudos to the entertainment teams again!
Had an excellent 3 night break, infact would have stayed longer had work commitments not stopped us, and was very sad to leave ( easiest checkout ever-put your stuff in the car, drive to the hole-in- the -wall and deposit your room key). It was that enjoyable I booked a weeks stay for us in June there and then in the on-site booking shop, and have upgraded to an apartment with a lounge, so will add an addendum to this next week.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (824)
malta
Reviewed 7 October 2013

A nice resort a lovely area, helpful staff. Don t get the basic rooms awful but get a nice upgrade will make your holiday so much better.I didn't really liked food although the others seemed to enjoyed it.great if you are looking for a safe place with kids.

Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I think the reason people are writing such negative reviews is because they read the reviews of other people on this website beforehand and they're constantly looking for the faults, thus not being able to fully relax and take advantage of the things which are good about the place. Of course, I'm in no means denying that the place does have some faults which could be improved, but you get what you're paying for.

I've been attending this said butlins for six years, since I was nine. I'm now fifteen and I can tell you now that I've enjoyed every single trip that we've had to this place -even when we went on weekend breaks eleven times last year. We've also been there the last two new years.

I also have a twelve year old brother and a nine year old sister who attend this break with me, as well as my mum. There are activities available that the three of us can do together while my mum relaxes in the skyline with a coffee, or goes off to do something that she wants to do.

Our most recent break, from Friday 4th Oct - Sunday 6th Oct, was spent taking advantage of the extras they had on offer. Our mum paid for us to complete the two levels of the high ropes course which was great for myself and my brother as we both conquered our fear of height - my little sister enjoyed that, too. We also spent half an hour on dino go karts and on the Saturday we took out a double and two singles for the whole family, but we found the doubles quite hard to pedal on, so the next day we took three singles while my mum packed everything into the car - that was good. The route is simple and you know where you're going.

We stayed in Silver accommodation after being upgraded from standard for free and without our okay, which was what we were going to upgrade to anyway. When we arrived in the apartment the only thing we found which could've been dangerous had a kid found them was a packet of tablets, shoved up in a wardrobe ledge. Other than that everything was good -bedsheets were clean, and although the pillows weren't given too generously we were able to take some from beds of people who dropped out of the trip, and I also brought my own. I couldn't comment on the quilt cover because I always bring my own, but the beds generally are very comfortable. The living room and kitchen area are a nice size, too, and provided everything we needed over the course of that weekend.

The only complaint would be that there were spiders in every room and we had to close one room off completely because it had several daddy long legs in and we're all terrified of spiders - though this isn't butlins fault, it's spider season. We also couldn't use the shower because there were spiders in the bathroom, but again, not butlins fault.

All in all a great experience and I think we're planning to use our annual passes to go down again on the first Saturday of Half Term, which should be good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rebekah H
west Yorkshire
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Just returned from Butlins Minehead with a friend and kids ages 2, 6 and 10. Stayed in a standard room with food court dining. Firstly the room, it was basic as sold, frayed around the edges and wouldn't want to stay there long but ok for a weekend. Could have done with a shower. Water was boiling couldn't use it scolding hot, but overall not bad. Duvets very thin and pillows minimal but I guess guest services would give you more. Splash waterworld is amazing and takes some beating kids loved it plus there are extra activities there. The fairground is good but limited number of rides and dated but still good. Loads of activities and great play areas we were knackered! Plus beach and lovely surrounding areas nearby and good facilities nearby. Food court was ok, didn't like the roasts but the rice dishes like chilli were good. Overall the food was not great so would maybe upgrade next time. There was a variety of food outlets for self catering but mainly junk food, I was dying for a salad and some fruit after couple of days too much bad temptation for the kids. The outside areas were dominated by smoking, me and the kids got many a lungful of smoke every time we walked in and out of facilities. Plenty of staff about which is good and some good shows, certain other guests were worth giving a wide birth like the ones who push in front of you and the couple having a physical fight and swearing in front of the kids. Overall so much to do, kids love it but expect some downsides with that.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dorset
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed for 4 nights Monday to friday 23rd-27th September, two adults and a 2.5 year old toddler. We were in a Gold Apartment on Plantation Quay and went for Premium Dining at the Deck Restaurant.

Pros: The food was lovely, the restaurant clean, bright and airy, and there was something for everyone, and lots of naughty puddings. We loved the Wok Station and the pasta bar, as well as the carveries and choice of fish.meat etc. Breakfasts were great too. For lunch we self-catered, we took bread, cheese, apples etc with us and it was all we needed as the two other meals were huge :-)

The apartment interior was not luxury, but it was very clean, comfortable and cosy. We didnt really hear any noise from our neighbours so that was fine. The beds were very comfortable, we all slept really well all week. It had a big flat screeen tv with plenty of channels, and we were able to get high speed internet on our phones all week (not that we needed it really) even though the wi-fi wasnt free after 15 mins.

The Splash Waterworld was a good included extra, we went there twice and our daughter loved it. Bob the Builder's Yard (toddlers fun fair) was also well used by her, as were the numerous playgrounds and the soft play area in the Syline Pavilion. She also loved the trampolines and the bouncy pillow. The childrens nursery was lovely and the staff great, my daughter attended for one two-hour session and she seemed to really enjoy that, and it was great value at only £6 for the session.

The Cons: Basically the behaviour of many of the other guests spoiled it for us, I agree with one of the other reviewers who mentioned Jeremy Kyle - certainly that is what we were thinking! We are pretty down-to-earth and not in any way snobs, but basically a lot of the people were just rough, the language and the general behaviour was not good. I found it all a bit depressing to be honest.

Smoking: Butlins really need to sort this out, in every area of the resort (that was outdoors) people just smoked constantly, so that even though you are in the open air, you are constantly breathing in other people's smoke, not pleasant, and not good for the kids either. There were always a lot of staff around, I dont think it would be that difficult to restrict it to certain areas.

The exterior of a lot of the accommodation was very tired, it didnt give a great first impression, although our apartment was nice inside, the iron outdoor stairs leading up to it were very rusty with peeling paint, all of the apartments looked like this, considering they were "Gold" we were lead to expect a bit better. Mind you were were very lucky judging by what I have read on here from other reviews, and by some of the older style chalets I walked past, they looked really grim!

To sum up: it was ok for what we paid, (£370 as we saved extra by booking early) for 5 days including food, but dont expect too much, and dont pay full price as I think you will feel ripped off.

Room Tip: Gold apartments were nice and clean and modern, with very comfortable beds. We were in a block calle...
5 Thank DorsetHelena
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We stayed on a sun promotion break, which ended up being £150 for 3 of us, but it was still great value. However, we paid for the Ents passes & there was no passes as such and no one ever asked to see any proof from us (so next time don't bother, you get it all anyhow!)
The chalet wasn't very clean and it was very small. This was classed as an upgraded chalet as well! The mattresses were very thin & the beds are smaller than the average.
However, all that being said the facilities and the service on site we couldn't fault. My 2yr old loved the variety of skyline shows, parks & bob the builder area with free rides. The pool was also a hit & showers nice and warm.
We will return.

EJtotone
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

We returned after spending a week last year and not loving it. We thought we'd try a weekend!

It was the worst decision deciding to give it another chance. It was horrendous!

Problems:

There was a party on the Friday night in apartment above which lasted until 1.30am.
The cooker was not working and reported it and still wasn't working 7 hours later.
Food was wasted.
We had to eat out which cost us a lot as the prices are ridiculous and the whole reason for taking our own food. Burger King for 2 adults and 1 child was £18.
We was moved from a ground floor to a first floor even though paid extra for ground floor (my husband has a disability).
We spent Saturday morning in guest services complaining about noise and cooker.
We had to move on Saturday which took hours (wasted day).
The only full day we had was Sunday and that day was a disaster.
We was next door to someone smoking weed all night long.
The smoke filled our apartment.
I had to use towels to stop the smoke filling my child's bedroom.
The front door couldn't be covered because it was coming through the top and sides.
The man next door then turned violent.
He was kicking and punching the door.
He was hanging off the stair well and knocking the window.
This went on all night long.
We sat up all night frightened and scared for our child's safety.

We couldn't report it in the middle of the night because we couldn't a 4 year old at 3.30am.
If we reported it he might turn violent to us and we couldn't put our child at risk as Butlins don't take these things seriously.
That night we didn't sleep at all.
I called guest services to complain the next morning at 7am they told me to call back when they opened.

The girl in guest services said thanks for letting her now and she'll have a word with him.
We then left Monday morning at 9.30am.
All the family were sick on Monday which we think may have been down to the drugs.

I made a formal complaint. Got 2 replies both which Butlins won't accept responsibility and they won't give me my money back. It was £150 probably pennies for them but for us it was our only family holiday for this year.

I will be going to the ombudsman for them to sort this out.

I'd recommend everyone to keep well away from Butlins. I for sure would never take children there.

If you love Jeremy Kyle Butlins is the place to go.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank EJtotone

Travellers are raving about these Minehead hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Minehead
Northfield Hotel
#3 of 37 in Minehead
The Blue Anchor
The Blue Anchor
#17 of 37 in Minehead

Been to Butlin's Minehead? Share your experiences!