“Kiiddes paradise” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Butlins Minehead Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Minehead
Butlins Minehead Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Minehead
New Forest
“Kiiddes paradise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Have just spent a couple of days visiting family members who were staying at Butlins. They had a log cabin type chalet on edge of the lake, fishing heaven for my brother- in -law - just open gate off veranda and step onot a small pontoon to fish - he was out there every morning at 5am. My 3 1/2 year old great-niece loved every minute of her stay. Great shows for kiddies and a good funfair - as others say not sure why it closes at 5pm ??. Kiddies pool was lovely and so may tots having time of their life in it - lifeguards on hand at all times but again it closed at 5pm. Whilst not a place I would choose to stay, i'm 67yo, it was agreat place for kiddies - lovely to see so many happy smiling faces.

1 Thank MusicjunkieNewForest
ButlinsResorts, Social Media Team at Butlins Minehead Resort, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hi MusicjunkieNewForest

Thanks for your review - we agree, it is all about happy, smiling faces!

We will pass on your comments with regard to closing times.

Thanks again

Maria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (776)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We had a brilliant time at butlins in minehead,I won't lie we didn't exactly have high expectations but thought the kids would enjoy it,but we were pleasantly suprised! We stayed in a silver bungalow for a long weekend,nothing fancy but perfectly fine for 3 nights,we self catered & the bungalow had everything we could've needed,beds weren't brilliant but they were fine for 3 nights.
All the facility's were clean & in good condition.
Our 4 year old son had an amazing time,the funfair & waterpark being a highlight! Go carts were a particular favourite of his!
Restaurant choices were good,again not fantastic but adequate for 4 days & we self catered during the day.
We saw the scooby do show on our last night which both the kids loved & really enjoyed! The skyline gang were brilliant,making time to speak to the children after the show,not as many redcoats as I would've liked to see but the ones we did see we're all very nice. I will say though the regular staff on the rides,in restaurants etc seemed miserable bordering on rude,if you're going to work somewhere like butlins surely you shouldn't behave like the children are a nuisance? I'd say even the cleaning staff seemed much happier & more polite! I do want to give a special mention to a welsh (I think) red haired man who was working on the bungee trampoline Monday morning,he was fantastic,really interacting with our son,making him go really high,showing him how to do flips etc! This is what I'd like to see all the staff behave like!
We found the prices of everything really reasonable when butlins could've easily over charged on food & drinks etc
All in all though a great weekend & will & have recommended butlins minehead to our friends!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Cassie L
ButlinsResorts, Social Media Team at Butlins Minehead Resort, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Hi Cassie L

We were so pleased to read we had exceeded your expectations, and that you and your family had a great time with us at our Minehead resort.

We're sorry to read your comments regarding some of the resort team you encountered. We will share these so that the team can make sure they maintain the high standards we set ourselves.

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

So the entertainment here is great and the location is good with lots to do during the day. The shows are even better with a fantastic pool with good slides and seemed to be decently clean.

But the food from the on site restaurant we booked was disappointing. The food didn't taste all that bad but its all the effort for going to get it and the cleanliness inside of the restaurant was bad. They want your money for pretty much everything and your still paying for basically nothing. The fun fair was quite good but a lot of the areas inside the park need are in need of modernization. I think the room was the worst part and we had a silver appartment which was tiny. You could barely move in the room and the whole block looked like it was about to fall down. The cleanliness in the room just looked like they were just made up and never cleaned.

Go to somewhere where you get better service like center parcs is what i say.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ollie4172
Hi Ollie4172

Thank you for leaving a review, and we're very pleased to read your comments regarding entertainment and Splash Waterworld.

Obviously we fell short of your expectations in other areas though, and we will share your comments with the team on resort so they can have the chance to act upon them.

We would love for you to come back and give us the chance to delight you.

Newcastle upon Tyne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

As the title suggests at the age of 37 this was my first ever visit to Butlins. I had an image in my head what I would find but no childhood memories or past experiences to go by. My partner on the other hand had been to Butlins many times as a child so this was kind of a nostalgia trip for him.

We booked a 'Silver Suite' which I believe is a newish style of accommodation in Minehead. After looking at the resort map, we requested a room (is that what you call them, or is it chalet?) on the upper floor, towards the back of the resort where in our heads we thought it would be quieter. Our requests were met, we were located in Rockwell Grove in Ocean Point. Turns out it isn't the back of the resort though, it is only the back in terms of what is in use currently. Behind us were a few more blocks of accommodation, not in use and in need of repair. It was quieter but not a great view. My guess is these 'ghost' blocks are awaiting re-development or demolition.

The room itself was bigger than I expected, but it was a 'Silver Suite'. It appears that 2 rooms that would have been back to back, had been knocked through, creating a larger room with 2 bedrooms (1 x double and 1 x twin), a lounge area and a shower room. The room was very clean on arrival and had a 'new' feel/smell. It was basic. I would liken it to the new style basic travelodge rooms. There was a fridge, kettle, cups, glasses and some tea, coffee etc to get you started. We didn't opt for the daily maid service, so can not comment on whether the tea etc was replenished daily, but would guess it was. I personally think maybe they could have added better furnishings and finishing touches, for example - it is quite bright outside the room in the evening (a mixture of street lights and walkway lights) and the curtains were not much use in keeping the light out .... maybe if they fitted the window would have been a start, the main bedroom had only I curtain which didn't really fit the window (see pic).

We did have a couple of minor room issues .... the tv didn't work and the iron and board that should have been in the room was missing, but these were sorted quickly by guest services.

I am not going to lie. I thought I was going to hate the accommodation, but I have to say, although it was basic, the room was ok and quite comfortable, probably wouldn't want to spend any longer than 4 nights tho. The only other thing I want to mention is that the room is not very private. There is a walkway right past the front and right past the back. If the resort is busy, there is gonna be a lot of traffic walking by your windows.

We included dining in our package and opted for the standard food court dining. Food was good, always a good selection, especially at breakfast. Personally I would have liked better coffee, its instant from a machine, and not great quality. My big niggle with the buffet style dining is seeing other people and their kids sticking their hands in stuff, but the food is replenished regularly so if you hang about, fresh, untouched food is not far away. Evening meal is 1630-1900 which to us was a pain as we usually prefer to eat later, but that's a personal thing and we coped. There are other dining options/packages available so check them out too. There are also many other venues eat in the resort, mainly located in the pavillion.

The resort itself didn't totally meet up to my expectations if I'm honest. Yes there is lots to do, especially for kids but some parts seem kind of run down, unloved. Some of it is nothing that a lick of paint wouldn't fix either. We didn't expect to see bulbs off all over the place, in both street lighting and decorative lighting, it spoils the 'Holiday Camp' image. Oh and the redcoats that are a big part of the Butlins image ... rarer than rocking horse poo.

We went to play the bingo one evening which was held in Jacks. This is another example of Butlins letting themselves down. Jacks is a bar in the Pavillion which I'm not sure is used for much else. It smelled of stale beer and vomit and about 50 percent of the lights didn't work and this is where they choose to hold the bingo?? Bingo in the dark doesn't work! Cue lots of moaning from the grannies. It may not be held in this venue anymore because the night we played, a women fell down some steps in the badly lit bar and the ambulance was called.

The water park is great and the funfair out front is canny if its a nice day. Can anyone actually get the waltzer car to spin tho ... I challenge you! What I don't get is why these close around 5pm?? Surely they could open a bit longer??

Overall we honestly had a nice little break at Butlins Minehead. My partner thought its not as good as when he went as a child but its still good. And for me my first time at Butlins was enjoyable which I am surprised about, because knowing me I should have hated it. I'm not sure we would cope going in the main school holidays, it was pretty quiet and chilled when we went.

They are currently building a whole new area at Minehead which is due to open in 2015. Brand new chalets set around lakes. Looks quite nice on the plans. We booked a little break for April 2015, will let you know what we think.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank royzer76
Hi royzer76

We're delighted to read you chose to try Butlins for the first time, and we really appreciate you leaving such a detailed and honest review.

We will take all the points you make and share them with the resort team at Minehead, as they will want to see them and be able to act upon them.

Obviously to see you have booked again for 2015 is especially pleasing, and we look forward to welcoming you again in April.

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We went for a week with our Daughter, Son-in-law and our 2 Grandchildren, age 2 and 8 months. They've been before but it was a first for the wife and I.
After checking in we went to our apartment and found that it hadn't been cleaned, in fact it had been left in s**t order by the previous guests. After complaining we were given another apartment which was fine, clean with a nice smell.
Entertainment is first class with shows for the kids, family shows in the evening, John Clegg who made the finals on the recent BGT was on one evening.
We were on a Half Board basis and found the food to be well worth the money with fresh cooked food being brought out all the time.
The beach is just across the road from the complex, beautiful soft sand and the sea was quite warm too. We had a day out on the West Somerset Railway, the kids loved being on a steam train.
The Butlins Staff were polite and very helpful and the Redcoats kept the entertainment going all day long.
All in all a great holiday for us and the children.

Room Tip: Choose the best that you can afford
Hi Ian494

Thank you for leaving a review - we are so pleased you and your family had a great time with us at our Minehead resort.

We regret the problems you had when you first checked in, but hopefully our Guest Services team resolved them and you were able to get on with having fun.

We'd love to welcome you all again soon.

Wirral, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

A weekend break at Minehead Butlins, we stayed in a Deluxe suite which consisted of bedroom, bathroom and lounge. I always try to book in advance to get one of these as they go quickly, they are ideal as they have their own parking spot right outside and a nice patio area.
I have read a few negative reviews about accommodation but I must say that I have never had a problem, although have never stayed in 'standard'.
A cleaner called by the afternoon we checked in to make sure everything was okay for us, and happily supplied more tea and milk at my request. The rooms were cleaned daily with fresh towels.
It was comfortable, clean and close to the Skyline.
The entertainment at Butlins is always good, my 5 year old enjoys The Skyline gang shows the most and we also enjoyed watching the pantomime in Centre stage. We have always found that there is plenty to do without spending extra. The fairground has been completely updated with a retro feel, lovely Helter Skelter and a member of staff kindly helped my son go on this as due to my mobility issues I couldn't take him. The staff at Minehead are always very friendly and helpful I find.
A lovely weekend, we both enjoyed it - and being able able to splash around in the outdoor pool and relax on Gaeity green to the festival entertainment which was provided last weekend (I hope they do this again, it was good!)

Room Tip: Book well in advance to get a deluxe room. Gold apartments with balcony are nice too.
3 Thank Sairny
Hi Sairny

Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a lovely review.

We're delighted to hear you and your family had a great time, especially your 5-year-old: the Helter Skelter is fun, isn't it?!

Thanks again

Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 2 - 6 June there was a power supply problem to the resort for 2 and a half hours then it was fun for the rest of the 4 days with plenty to do every day and the shows at night was fabulous couldn't find fault with Butlins I would definitely go back there again.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Malcolm S
Hi Malcolm S

We are so pleased you enjoyed your first-ever Butlins break - and even more so that you plan to return.

We look forward to welcoming you again, and thank you for taking the time to write a review.