“Surpassed our expectations” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Butlins Minehead Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Minehead
Butlins Minehead Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Minehead
“Surpassed our expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Myself, hubby, 8 year old son and new born daughter stayed for a week from fri 30th May. After reading a lot of negative reviews I was a little apprehensive, within an hour of being there this all disappeared from first walking into guest services nothing was too much trouble, the guy who checked us in was very helpful. When we arrived at our silver accommodation in oyster bay at octopus green I could smell how clean it was right away which was a relief, the apartment was spotless, lovely furniture very clean lovely comfy beds my only complaint is that the bathroom was tiny.
The skyline pavilion is fantastic my son was in his element we spent hours in there the free softplay is great, the skyline gang were great and all the shows in centre stage were amazing we did buy 3 night b line passes as the weekend shows were the main things my son wanted to see and I must say me and my hubby loved dick and Dom so funny and cirque de hilarious was just that..... hilarious, my son's favourite saying 3 weeks down the line is "I haven't got a guitar". The prices weren't too extortionate but we always expect to spend a little more when on holiday. The food onsite is pretty good especially the firehouse grill we ate here twice very good value for money and much nicer than nandos, the young guy with longer hair (sorry didn't catch his name) was very helpful giving advice on the food and he was spot on, unfortunately I can't say the same for the sun and moon pub, Magic the guy who served us was very friendly and extremely apologetic that there was to be a 45 min delay on food which we were okay with but when the waitress (some bleach blonde sourfaced girl) brought out the wrong meal to me she argued with me that's what I'd ordered and said I'd have to have it but when I said no that's not what I ordered she tutted and said I would need to show her my receipt to prove I was right!!! Luckily I had kept it and low and behold the half a roast chicken wasn't what I'd ordered, when my meal finally arrived the chicken melt was charred underneath and so tough to cut, very disappointing considering how good everything else had been.
The splash waterworks is fantastic we all loved it, but with only one babychange my 6 week old was getting a bit cold by it came free. All the babychange areas within the resort were lovely and clean as were the ladies.
Nothing seemed too much trouble for almost all the staff (just that one waitress as mentioned above) everyone so friendly from the spar staff, security, barstaff and the amazing redcoats.
Minehead itself is only a short walk away and if you want a great Sunday lunch try the hairy dog pub, excellent value for money and there is an amazing playarea for the kids. Morrisons is only around the corner too and minehead beach is beautiful.
The holiday really was a great and memorable one, hopefully we will be back when our daughter is a bit bigger as I think she will love all the kiddy characters my only concern is prices, we had a great value holiday as it wasn't school holidays but once I'm off maternity leave as a teaching assistant I am only off during school holidays and I can't justify over double the cost and it was busy enough this time and can only imagine how cramped it gets during the holidays. A word of caution to people, eat your lovely scoop ice creams inside otherwise you may be mugged by the seagulls, I felt like I'd been punched by Mike Tyson when the cheeky sod flew into my face and robbed my delicious treat, as I was laughing with shock and being checked by other guests my poor son was being chased by another for his, it was funny though!!!
All in all a great holiday.

Room Tip: Silver accommodation perfectly good, glad I didn't pay extra for gold means we had extra spendin...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ButlinsResorts, Social Media Team at Butlins Minehead Resort, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hi shellmd76

It's very kind of you to such a detailed review, the team at our Minehead resort will enjoy reading it.

We're glad you loved the Firehouse Grill as much as we do.

Naturally, we regret the experience you had in the Sun and Moon, and will share your comments with the relevant team.

Maria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (776)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

This was out second visit to the Butlins Minehead resort and one again we had a fantastic time.

This time around we decided to upgrade our package to Silver accommodation and dining. We stayed at the Oyster Bay apartments, our room was spotlessly clean and included all the basics, such as cooking utensils, clothes hangers and television. The differences between silver room as opposed to good was noticeable in the decor and we noticed that the apartment was located closed to the main attractions.

As part of the silver dining package we were allocated breakfast and evening meal places at the Coast Restaurant. We found eating time to be very flexible with breakfast being served from 07:30 to 10:00 and evening means being served from 16:30 to 19:00. The breakfast menu consisted of all the standard ingredients one would expect with any breakfast (full English and continental). Evening meals altered day by day with a variety of options from spag Bol, cottage pies, beef/ turkey dinners and also veggie options. Again the standard of food was excellent and because it was self service it was basically all you can eat. There was plenty of variety for our 5 year old and deserts were included too.

The daytime entrainment at the resort was excellent. We made it part of our routine to use the splashworld facilities on a daily basis. We also made regular use of the fairground, bob the builder world, puppet show and various other shows that were run in the skyline pavilion. Our daughter loved it all!!!

Evening entrainment was a bit hit and miss but saying that it was 'just for tots' week so the emphasis was around the little ones. Our daughter particularly enjoyed Mister Maker Live, and the standard Butlins panto. On Thursday 26 June we did cue up early to get good seats at Centre Stage for the Blues on the Move and Freddie shows. Blues on the move was very entertaining but as a die hard queen fan I struggled with Freddie. One bug bear I did have was that when cueing outside Centre Stage for nearly an hour, and one the B-Line (people who pay to jump the cue) had been let it, it took a further 20 minutes to let the standard people in. I asked one of the female door staff what time we'd be let and and she smirked and made a ride remark. The only reason I did not retaliate was because I was with my wife and daughter, had they not been there it would have been a different story.

Overall we had a fantastic break at Butlins. I highly recommend the silver dining as you will honestly save a lot of money. Great entrainment and stay. I'm sure we'll be visiting again!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hi Matthew F

Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind review. The team at our Minehead resort will enjoy reading the many positive comments.

We will, of course, pass on your comments regarding what happened while you were waiting outside Centre Stage, as we set very high standards that we always strive to maintain.

lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed at Butlins Minehead for 3 nights (fri-mon) and what an amazing time we had, We arrived at 10.50pm after driving for over 4 hours and was given the keys to our apartment by the security staff as reception had closed for the evening, On entering what we thought was a standard apartment we were delighted to find that we had actually received a free upgrade to a silver apartment which included a large flat screen tv, a microwave, an iron and an ironing board, The room was spotlessly clean and had what looked like a brand new kitchen, Our beds were all made up which was a relief after such a long drive, The next morning we went off to explore the facilities, The weather was amazing throughout our stay and so people were enjoying the outdoor pool, the fairground and also the beach which is just across the road from the resort, Inside there were shows for the children and characters walking around aswel as photo shoots and arcades so enough to keep them busy if you were unlucky with the weather, There was also childrens shows throughout the day in the outdoor entertainment area where people were sunbathing, there is rock climbing, high ropes, go karts & bumper boats (all at an extra charge) 2 childrens play areas, bars & restuarants lovely grounds and friendly staff, The splash world is good although the queues for slides even tho not very big take a long time to go down and so its draining waiting for your turn but they are good, The evening entertainment is usually a tribute act and every one we saw was excellent, In just one weekend we had One Direction, Kylie, Micheal Jackson and Pink, We didnt stay for M J as he only came on at 10.30pm and as we have a little one thats a bit late for us but the other 3 that we did see were amazing, The fairground is not bad at all considering the rides are included in the price of your stay but 2 of the bigger rides were closed during our stay (The pirate ship and the umberellas) I would recommend Butlins to anyone with children as they are kept busy with shows etc during the day and the adults are happy in the evenings with some brilliant shows, There is only one problem with the resort and unfortunately its a big one! The seagulls are an absolute menace, during our stay we witnessed a large seagull attack a very small child (approx 4yrs old) by the outdoor pool taking the sandwich from her hand and actually knocking her over and into the pool, It was horrific, she was clearly traumatised and was hysterical as you can imagine, within a few hours while I was walking back to my room I again witnessed a large seagull attack a boy (approx 13yrs old) who was walking just in front of me with his mum and dad snatching his hot dog from his hand that he was eating at the time, he again was clearly very shaken up, I realise that this is not the fault of Butlins but I do believe something should be done to help prevent so many seagulls congregating in the resort as there are so many of them, they are everywhere and they are so loud keeping us awake for a lot of the night, Regardless of the issue raised we still had an amazing time and would definitly return to Butlins and have already recommended them to all my friends and family, Thank you for an amazing mini break x

Hi barbie044

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review. The team at our Minehead resort will enjoy reading it.

We do all we can to prevent seagull problems, and we will continue to do so. We're glad to read you still had an amazing time.

It's very kind of you to recommend us: we hope to see you and your family again soon.

Thanks

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Just recently back from our trip and I must say I was very much surprised. The resort was beautiful, neat and tidy. A moments walk to anything and everything you may have wanted to do. Beach is just across the road. I thought the fair being free was amazing it was a shame they weren't all open but still enough to keep my little one entertained. Our apartment was lovely a bit tricky with our buggy but none the less we managed it. The beds were extremely comfortable and I found there was ample space for all of our belongings. TV wasn't tuned but who watches tv on holiday? (bothered my partner late of an evening) I was very happy to see a real sized cup in our kitchen a long with the glasses that accompanied as usually you get tiny tea cups and I like simple things such as a nice sized cup of tea first thing in the morning. I also appreciated having a clothes airer, iron and ironing board (wouldn't have minded a small hand held Hoover just for those unwanted crumbs) all the little touches just made for an extra comfortable stay. The eateries were lovely, not one bad meal. I highly recommend the chicken restaurant Firehouse Grill. Food was delicious and took no time at all to be served. The outside entertainment throughout the day were really good too.. I must also say that all the staff at Butlins in any shop, restaurant, pub, arcade, club or food vender were all very helpful always with a welcoming (not condescending forced to be happy) tone. There was so much to do and to keep the kids entertained, an all around amazing holiday and will most definitely be returning very soon.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Danskie24
Hi Danskie24

We love to see guests using the word "amazing" - we are so pleased you had a great time at our Minehead resort.

We think the chicken in the Firehouse Grill is delicious too!

We also hope you return very soon.

New Forest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Have just spent a couple of days visiting family members who were staying at Butlins. They had a log cabin type chalet on edge of the lake, fishing heaven for my brother- in -law - just open gate off veranda and step onot a small pontoon to fish - he was out there every morning at 5am. My 3 1/2 year old great-niece loved every minute of her stay. Great shows for kiddies and a good funfair - as others say not sure why it closes at 5pm ??. Kiddies pool was lovely and so may tots having time of their life in it - lifeguards on hand at all times but again it closed at 5pm. Whilst not a place I would choose to stay, i'm 67yo, it was agreat place for kiddies - lovely to see so many happy smiling faces.

1 Thank MusicjunkieNewForest
Hi MusicjunkieNewForest

Thanks for your review - we agree, it is all about happy, smiling faces!

We will pass on your comments with regard to closing times.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We had a brilliant time at butlins in minehead,I won't lie we didn't exactly have high expectations but thought the kids would enjoy it,but we were pleasantly suprised! We stayed in a silver bungalow for a long weekend,nothing fancy but perfectly fine for 3 nights,we self catered & the bungalow had everything we could've needed,beds weren't brilliant but they were fine for 3 nights.
All the facility's were clean & in good condition.
Our 4 year old son had an amazing time,the funfair & waterpark being a highlight! Go carts were a particular favourite of his!
Restaurant choices were good,again not fantastic but adequate for 4 days & we self catered during the day.
We saw the scooby do show on our last night which both the kids loved & really enjoyed! The skyline gang were brilliant,making time to speak to the children after the show,not as many redcoats as I would've liked to see but the ones we did see we're all very nice. I will say though the regular staff on the rides,in restaurants etc seemed miserable bordering on rude,if you're going to work somewhere like butlins surely you shouldn't behave like the children are a nuisance? I'd say even the cleaning staff seemed much happier & more polite! I do want to give a special mention to a welsh (I think) red haired man who was working on the bungee trampoline Monday morning,he was fantastic,really interacting with our son,making him go really high,showing him how to do flips etc! This is what I'd like to see all the staff behave like!
We found the prices of everything really reasonable when butlins could've easily over charged on food & drinks etc
All in all though a great weekend & will & have recommended butlins minehead to our friends!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Cassie L
ButlinsResorts, Social Media Team at Butlins Minehead Resort, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Hi Cassie L

We were so pleased to read we had exceeded your expectations, and that you and your family had a great time with us at our Minehead resort.

We're sorry to read your comments regarding some of the resort team you encountered. We will share these so that the team can make sure they maintain the high standards we set ourselves.

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

So the entertainment here is great and the location is good with lots to do during the day. The shows are even better with a fantastic pool with good slides and seemed to be decently clean.

But the food from the on site restaurant we booked was disappointing. The food didn't taste all that bad but its all the effort for going to get it and the cleanliness inside of the restaurant was bad. They want your money for pretty much everything and your still paying for basically nothing. The fun fair was quite good but a lot of the areas inside the park need are in need of modernization. I think the room was the worst part and we had a silver appartment which was tiny. You could barely move in the room and the whole block looked like it was about to fall down. The cleanliness in the room just looked like they were just made up and never cleaned.

Go to somewhere where you get better service like center parcs is what i say.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ollie4172
Hi Ollie4172

Thank you for leaving a review, and we're very pleased to read your comments regarding entertainment and Splash Waterworld.

Obviously we fell short of your expectations in other areas though, and we will share your comments with the team on resort so they can have the chance to act upon them.

We would love for you to come back and give us the chance to delight you.

Thanks