“Filthy rooms & food poisoning!!!”
Review of Butlin's Minehead

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Minehead
Butlin's Minehead
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Minehead
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Having stayed at Butlins 3 times before I decided to return again. Standard room with the dining package. Well what can I say..
Room was a disgrace. Broken cupboards, mattress that was completely sunken in the middle with springs digging in your back everywhere, a bed "frame" that looked like an elephant had jumped onto it causing it to sink in the middle, a filthy bathroom with paint all in the bath and a door that was so loose the wind and noise bellowed in! And what overpaid idiot designed the bathroom at the end? Adults have to sneak like snipers through the children's bedroom to use the toilet in the night???
And don't even get me started on the filthy changing rooms at the pool. Saved the best until last.... The "dining" package. Cheap poor quality awful food that left us with severe food poisoning!! With no reply or apology to my email.
Horrified to say the least. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed: June 2014
ButlinsResorts, Social Media Team at Butlin's Minehead, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Hi Russellfami

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed and honest review.

Naturally we regret that we appear to have fallen below the high standards we set ourselves, and consequently failed to meet your expectations.

It would help us to be able to have a fuller discussion about your experiences. If you would be kind enough to email us at tripadvisor@Butlins.com with a brief reminder of what you have posted here, along with your name and booking reference, we would appreciate the chance to contact you about it.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Me and my boyfriend went to Minehead for our first holiday together. We stayed for 3 nights. We very much enjoyed the breakfast and dinner provided in the package we booked. Always plenty of seating and the eating area was kept very clean. A huge variety of food available at every sitting and a different variety every night. Lovely swimming pool with great facilities. We managed to see Stavros Flatley when we were there which was a great experience. Good variety of entertainment and shows. The huge let was our room. Although basic which we expected the cleanliness was disgraceful. We had a very big problem with wood lice which we eventually realized were coming in through the holes in the skirting boards. after requesting for the room to be cleaned again someone turned up 2 hours later only to pick up the dead ones. the next day when we realized they were still coming in we pulled everything out ourselves to discover that under the chest of draws was littered with rubbish and many dead wood lice. after requesting for the room again they did clean more thoroughly and put down bug repellent. even though it took a while to get this problem sorted was quite shocked that it was left like this in the first place. Apart from this problem we had a lovely holiday

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi samantha b

Thank you for leaving a review, and we are glad to read you enjoyed the dining package and entertainment.

Naturally we are disappointed to read your accommodation experiences. We will share all your comments with the resort team so they can act upon them.

We hope we can welcome you again soon.

Thanks

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

We booked a 'sun' holiday here for ladies with learning disabilities. When booking through the sun we didn't realise it was tots week, found this out after booking. We had standard accommodation. Very basic could do with a make over. It was clean. The beds were made and to my surprise very comfy. The balcony was an added bonus as one of our ladies likes to people watch. We were at the end so safe enough to let her stand outside with a watchful eye. The weather was gorgeous apart from the last day. We only used the pool. Which was brilliant only downside for us was that it closed at 5pm as did the funfair which closed at 4pm . A little on the early side for me. As we went out for the day and fancied a swim when back. The queuing was bad to go and see scooby doo show. For one of our ladies this wasn't good as so many people was making her very anxious. We left and sat at the Yacht club for a coffee in the last of the evening sun. After this we didnt go and see any other entertainment. This was merely because we were looking out for the safety of our two ladies. Security were good and dealt with some noisy neighbours. Shame they couldnt do anything about the noisy seagulls. All in all a good mon to fri break with sun holidays. U get what pay for!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sarah S

Hi Sarah S

We're so pleased you and the ladies in your party had a great time with us, and thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

We will raise your comments regarding closing times with the Entertainments team.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Myself, hubby, 8 year old son and new born daughter stayed for a week from fri 30th May. After reading a lot of negative reviews I was a little apprehensive, within an hour of being there this all disappeared from first walking into guest services nothing was too much trouble, the guy who checked us in was very helpful. When we arrived at our silver accommodation in oyster bay at octopus green I could smell how clean it was right away which was a relief, the apartment was spotless, lovely furniture very clean lovely comfy beds my only complaint is that the bathroom was tiny.
The skyline pavilion is fantastic my son was in his element we spent hours in there the free softplay is great, the skyline gang were great and all the shows in centre stage were amazing we did buy 3 night b line passes as the weekend shows were the main things my son wanted to see and I must say me and my hubby loved dick and Dom so funny and cirque de hilarious was just that..... hilarious, my son's favourite saying 3 weeks down the line is "I haven't got a guitar". The prices weren't too extortionate but we always expect to spend a little more when on holiday. The food onsite is pretty good especially the firehouse grill we ate here twice very good value for money and much nicer than nandos, the young guy with longer hair (sorry didn't catch his name) was very helpful giving advice on the food and he was spot on, unfortunately I can't say the same for the sun and moon pub, Magic the guy who served us was very friendly and extremely apologetic that there was to be a 45 min delay on food which we were okay with but when the waitress (some bleach blonde sourfaced girl) brought out the wrong meal to me she argued with me that's what I'd ordered and said I'd have to have it but when I said no that's not what I ordered she tutted and said I would need to show her my receipt to prove I was right!!! Luckily I had kept it and low and behold the half a roast chicken wasn't what I'd ordered, when my meal finally arrived the chicken melt was charred underneath and so tough to cut, very disappointing considering how good everything else had been.
The splash waterworks is fantastic we all loved it, but with only one babychange my 6 week old was getting a bit cold by it came free. All the babychange areas within the resort were lovely and clean as were the ladies.
Nothing seemed too much trouble for almost all the staff (just that one waitress as mentioned above) everyone so friendly from the spar staff, security, barstaff and the amazing redcoats.
Minehead itself is only a short walk away and if you want a great Sunday lunch try the hairy dog pub, excellent value for money and there is an amazing playarea for the kids. Morrisons is only around the corner too and minehead beach is beautiful.
The holiday really was a great and memorable one, hopefully we will be back when our daughter is a bit bigger as I think she will love all the kiddy characters my only concern is prices, we had a great value holiday as it wasn't school holidays but once I'm off maternity leave as a teaching assistant I am only off during school holidays and I can't justify over double the cost and it was busy enough this time and can only imagine how cramped it gets during the holidays. A word of caution to people, eat your lovely scoop ice creams inside otherwise you may be mugged by the seagulls, I felt like I'd been punched by Mike Tyson when the cheeky sod flew into my face and robbed my delicious treat, as I was laughing with shock and being checked by other guests my poor son was being chased by another for his, it was funny though!!!
All in all a great holiday.

Room Tip: Silver accommodation perfectly good, glad I didn't pay extra for gold means we had extra spendin...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Hi shellmd76

It's very kind of you to such a detailed review, the team at our Minehead resort will enjoy reading it.

We're glad you loved the Firehouse Grill as much as we do.

Naturally, we regret the experience you had in the Sun and Moon, and will share your comments with the relevant team.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

This was out second visit to the Butlins Minehead resort and one again we had a fantastic time.

This time around we decided to upgrade our package to Silver accommodation and dining. We stayed at the Oyster Bay apartments, our room was spotlessly clean and included all the basics, such as cooking utensils, clothes hangers and television. The differences between silver room as opposed to good was noticeable in the decor and we noticed that the apartment was located closed to the main attractions.

As part of the silver dining package we were allocated breakfast and evening meal places at the Coast Restaurant. We found eating time to be very flexible with breakfast being served from 07:30 to 10:00 and evening means being served from 16:30 to 19:00. The breakfast menu consisted of all the standard ingredients one would expect with any breakfast (full English and continental). Evening meals altered day by day with a variety of options from spag Bol, cottage pies, beef/ turkey dinners and also veggie options. Again the standard of food was excellent and because it was self service it was basically all you can eat. There was plenty of variety for our 5 year old and deserts were included too.

The daytime entrainment at the resort was excellent. We made it part of our routine to use the splashworld facilities on a daily basis. We also made regular use of the fairground, bob the builder world, puppet show and various other shows that were run in the skyline pavilion. Our daughter loved it all!!!

Evening entrainment was a bit hit and miss but saying that it was 'just for tots' week so the emphasis was around the little ones. Our daughter particularly enjoyed Mister Maker Live, and the standard Butlins panto. On Thursday 26 June we did cue up early to get good seats at Centre Stage for the Blues on the Move and Freddie shows. Blues on the move was very entertaining but as a die hard queen fan I struggled with Freddie. One bug bear I did have was that when cueing outside Centre Stage for nearly an hour, and one the B-Line (people who pay to jump the cue) had been let it, it took a further 20 minutes to let the standard people in. I asked one of the female door staff what time we'd be let and and she smirked and made a ride remark. The only reason I did not retaliate was because I was with my wife and daughter, had they not been there it would have been a different story.

Overall we had a fantastic break at Butlins. I highly recommend the silver dining as you will honestly save a lot of money. Great entrainment and stay. I'm sure we'll be visiting again!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Hi Matthew F

Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind review. The team at our Minehead resort will enjoy reading the many positive comments.

We will, of course, pass on your comments regarding what happened while you were waiting outside Centre Stage, as we set very high standards that we always strive to maintain.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed at Butlins Minehead for 3 nights (fri-mon) and what an amazing time we had, We arrived at 10.50pm after driving for over 4 hours and was given the keys to our apartment by the security staff as reception had closed for the evening, On entering what we thought was a standard apartment we were delighted to find that we had actually received a free upgrade to a silver apartment which included a large flat screen tv, a microwave, an iron and an ironing board, The room was spotlessly clean and had what looked like a brand new kitchen, Our beds were all made up which was a relief after such a long drive, The next morning we went off to explore the facilities, The weather was amazing throughout our stay and so people were enjoying the outdoor pool, the fairground and also the beach which is just across the road from the resort, Inside there were shows for the children and characters walking around aswel as photo shoots and arcades so enough to keep them busy if you were unlucky with the weather, There was also childrens shows throughout the day in the outdoor entertainment area where people were sunbathing, there is rock climbing, high ropes, go karts & bumper boats (all at an extra charge) 2 childrens play areas, bars & restuarants lovely grounds and friendly staff, The splash world is good although the queues for slides even tho not very big take a long time to go down and so its draining waiting for your turn but they are good, The evening entertainment is usually a tribute act and every one we saw was excellent, In just one weekend we had One Direction, Kylie, Micheal Jackson and Pink, We didnt stay for M J as he only came on at 10.30pm and as we have a little one thats a bit late for us but the other 3 that we did see were amazing, The fairground is not bad at all considering the rides are included in the price of your stay but 2 of the bigger rides were closed during our stay (The pirate ship and the umberellas) I would recommend Butlins to anyone with children as they are kept busy with shows etc during the day and the adults are happy in the evenings with some brilliant shows, There is only one problem with the resort and unfortunately its a big one! The seagulls are an absolute menace, during our stay we witnessed a large seagull attack a very small child (approx 4yrs old) by the outdoor pool taking the sandwich from her hand and actually knocking her over and into the pool, It was horrific, she was clearly traumatised and was hysterical as you can imagine, within a few hours while I was walking back to my room I again witnessed a large seagull attack a boy (approx 13yrs old) who was walking just in front of me with his mum and dad snatching his hot dog from his hand that he was eating at the time, he again was clearly very shaken up, I realise that this is not the fault of Butlins but I do believe something should be done to help prevent so many seagulls congregating in the resort as there are so many of them, they are everywhere and they are so loud keeping us awake for a lot of the night, Regardless of the issue raised we still had an amazing time and would definitly return to Butlins and have already recommended them to all my friends and family, Thank you for an amazing mini break x

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Hi barbie044

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review. The team at our Minehead resort will enjoy reading it.

We do all we can to prevent seagull problems, and we will continue to do so. We're glad to read you still had an amazing time.

It's very kind of you to recommend us: we hope to see you and your family again soon.

Thanks

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Just recently back from our trip and I must say I was very much surprised. The resort was beautiful, neat and tidy. A moments walk to anything and everything you may have wanted to do. Beach is just across the road. I thought the fair being free was amazing it was a shame they weren't all open but still enough to keep my little one entertained. Our apartment was lovely a bit tricky with our buggy but none the less we managed it. The beds were extremely comfortable and I found there was ample space for all of our belongings. TV wasn't tuned but who watches tv on holiday? (bothered my partner late of an evening) I was very happy to see a real sized cup in our kitchen a long with the glasses that accompanied as usually you get tiny tea cups and I like simple things such as a nice sized cup of tea first thing in the morning. I also appreciated having a clothes airer, iron and ironing board (wouldn't have minded a small hand held Hoover just for those unwanted crumbs) all the little touches just made for an extra comfortable stay. The eateries were lovely, not one bad meal. I highly recommend the chicken restaurant Firehouse Grill. Food was delicious and took no time at all to be served. The outside entertainment throughout the day were really good too.. I must also say that all the staff at Butlins in any shop, restaurant, pub, arcade, club or food vender were all very helpful always with a welcoming (not condescending forced to be happy) tone. There was so much to do and to keep the kids entertained, an all around amazing holiday and will most definitely be returning very soon.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Danskie24

Hi Danskie24

We love to see guests using the word "amazing" - we are so pleased you had a great time at our Minehead resort.

We think the chicken in the Firehouse Grill is delicious too!

We also hope you return very soon.