“ok choice”

Ranked #17 of 37 Minehead B&B and Inns
cardiff
“ok choice”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

as other reviews say it is a little dated, but I think the majority of the other b&bs and hotels in minehead are also dated,it is a very clean establishment with a very nice breakfast, I do however think that a flatscreen tv would make a lot of difference instead of the old type with a top box on it

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CardiffMike

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

if you are visiting the West Country a stay at the Waverley is a must. Very comfortable and brilliant value for money. Ideally situated. Breakfast was lovely. It is obviously a family project and I hope that the future plans of Ian and Linda are realised.

Thanks to all at The Waverley

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank morag d
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Having spent an overnight stay at The Waverley I had mixed thoughts on leaving. Yes the B&B was outdated re: the decor although areas were maintained with a fresh lick of paint. The breakfast was plentiful. The only criticism was fellow guests who had no consideration for others, especially at night with the constant banging of doors. I booked through hotels.com and was assured the venue had sufficient private car parking for guests only to find I had to park on the road. The owners were extremely friendly and on a budget I would reccommend.

• Stayed August 2013
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

On first impression of this guest house it looks exactly what you would expect from a seaside BnB. Inside the hall it's quite old fashioned but the welcome was very warm.

Our room was a four poster which was exactly what it said on the tin.. However it lacked the quality one would expect from a four poster room. The net curtains could be removed to bring it up to this era. The room itself needs an overhaul and brought into the 21st century. A small amount of money spent on wall paper removal, lick of paint and a bin for the net curtains.

Although dated, it was very clean and the bed was comfy.. We were able to chill and watch the tiny box TV which again could use an update.

The owners were very friendly and breakfast was breakfast.. There is a lot to be said for making poached eggs the old fashioned way and not with these new gadgets which over cook the yolk.

Overall a comfy night sleep and good location.

• Stayed July 2013
Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The couple running this B&B are very friendly, and I'm giving the Waverly 3 because of the room and the breakfast.
I found the room very small for a couple. ( room 8 ) This is probably because the en-suite built in has swallowed up so much of the original room as it would have been originally.
One of the things I like to do on holiday is have a read in bed at night time, but with no bedside tables and lamps this was not possible. Also when having a cup of coffee there was nowhere to put my cup ( I ended up sitting it on the radiator ). When I went to sleep could only put my glasses on the floor too.
If the installed wardrobe and chest of drawers with the mirror had been put in sideways there just might have been room for such?
There was only one solitary upright chair in room 8.
To the breakfast - it was a "full English" on the first day, but the sausage served up was of "happy shopper" value standard. ( my brother is a meat inspector and he sometimes supervises the making of sausages and has shown me ), If I were in the B&B business I would always serve up a decent quality of food, I'm not meaning to be too "picky", but everyone has their own standards. We were also served up the wrong breakfast one day when the B&B was full. They offered to change it, but we just made do with toast with the time factor..
We still had a good mini-break at Minehead, but attention to detail I think is a must to run a B&B. We paid £55 per night, - this is ok if the room is V Good but not for this.

Room Tip: Room 8 is small for a couple
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank glassandrobbucks
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

did not feel welcome upon arrival, reception/stairway/dining room was well presented,then the dreaded bedroom! we had a family triple room which is at the top of the building ,very run down paint peeling, dingy, ghastly 60's style, bedding the absolute worst!! not a duvet with a changeable cover,but a quilted non laundered type bedspread/throw.would not have minded so much if there was at least a top sheet to keep the grubby bedspread off me!
breakfast they clearly do not support their local farmer/butcher for sausage's bacon ect, sausage was the worst supermarket value, bacon was baked in the oven! absolutely tough could not cut with a knife!
all in all would not return.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank irenedorothy
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Stayed in this B&B end of May which was bank holiday weekend. It was our wedding anniversary so we booked the room with the four poster bed. It was a very nice room with en- suite. The place was very clean and the owners could not do enough for us. We had a lovely cooked breakfast each morning. The rooms have tea and coffee making facilities which is nice for a cup of tea in bed in the morning. We were given our own front door key for the length of our stay so we could come and go as we pleased. I look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple