“Home away from home”

Hillhouse Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luton
Hillhouse Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 11 Speciality Lodging in Luton
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Isabel, the owner of Hillhouse Luton, certainly makes you feel welcome during your stay. You are free to use the house as if it's your own, enabling you to cook & do some washing if you need to. If you have the opportunity for a return visit Isabel will welcome you in like family.

• Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I booked this on past reviews from this website (admittedly from years ago) which recommended it, I can only say it must have changed over the years for the worse. Everyone else there seemed to be long term residents, so I would say it is now mainly a boarding house.

We needed somewhere to stay at short notice, which would allow us to take our dog, so I didn't look too hard when booking. I did contact another lady who had stayed recently and had given it a good review. The price she told me she had paid (only a few weeks ago) was quite a bit lower than I was quoted, I also found a lower price on Booking.com but the owner was adamant that prices had not altered, so being in a hurry I went ahead anyway.

The room was tired and shabby and there were no tea/coffee making facilities. The en suite wet room was much more modern, unfortunately the heated shower rail/radiator didn't work and it was very cold. We also were only given 1 towel each which we couldn't dry after showering so they were still wet for our showers in the morning.

Breakfast was not what I would expect from an establishment calling itself Bed and Breakfast. It consisted of "help yourself to cereal and toast". When my husband queried this he was told that no-one around Luton provides a cooked breakfast any more, and she reluctantly offered to boil him an egg "if he liked".

We only stayed for one night to break our journey and it was adequate for our needs, however I could not recommend it to anyone else and would not stay there again myself.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank melbermar
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed one night en route to a dog show. I can't speak highly enough of the quality of our stay. Pet friendly places are hard to find and this was by far the nicest we've found. The room was spacious with en suite wet room, everything was clean and comfortable. We had an excellent night's sleep before carrying on the next day and we could not have asked for more. We look forward to staying again soon!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We read all the reviews and reserved a double ensuite at this b&b in December 2011, but what we were about to experience was terrible!

Arrived at the property - nobody home. Had to make an international phone call - thankfully it was her mobile - and wait for about 30 minutes until the host showed up - having completely forgotten about our phone and email communication regarding the booking! We were welcomed into a dirty house, a barking dog (we didn't know about - I'm afraid of dogs!) and a room with 2 single beds (and we specified we'd like a double since we're in our honeymoon). We had to merge the two beds and do without a shower, as the ensuite was disgusting. The dog barked until late in the night so we could not fall asleep. When we asked about breakfast (admittedly, we had an early plane), we were told where the milk and cereal was, to help ourselves. Through the beds were clean, it was far from the double en suite we thought we booked; the floor/carpet was dirty all the way up the stairs, bathroom disgusting. We were glad to be out of there - even without breakfast - and will never stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2012

this is a very friendly house. my wife and i were made to feel like we were old friends. our room was pleasant and comfortable. and the breakfast was out of this world. if we come this way again we would stay here again..laurie & margaret yorkshire

Room Tip: ask for the big room upstairs
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wheelaman123
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Comfy Bed, clean functional room, great en suite wet room with very effective shower. Isabel is a great host.

Room Tip: ASk for the ensuite for extra convenience
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2010

Lovely establishment. It feels like you are staying in a country cottage, filled with very pleasant and eclectic furnishings! Isabel is a super hostess who cannot do enough for you - we flew in at 3 a.m. and was no problem for her at all. Heartily recommend.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple