“Not recommended”

Chiltern Hotel
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Luton
“Not recommended”
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Checked in on Monday for 7 nights. Poor receptionist busy and quite a wait to check in. Window wide open so room cold. Heating unit not working. Toilet seat broken. Bathroom light no shade and concerned with steam. Bedside light not working. Reported for fixing to be done whilst out on business. Breakfast - choice continental, or full English which is served to you and is good. Came back late evening after work. Room not even cleaned. Lights fixed. Heating not nor toilet seat. Maintenance came next morning to sort. Returned 22:30hrs on second day, room not even cleaned (AGAIN). Distinct lack of electrical sockets. Wardrobe only small hanging area with 5 hangars. Pillows pathethic. Not impressed at all. I thought would be better than others in area being smaller, independent and 3* but I can't see that I would rebook a place where they can't even be bothered to clean your room and leave you with the same towels for 3 days.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Id like to start by recommending anyone to stay at the Chiltern hotel, as it is a very welcoming place, the staff are fabulous, they make your stay as comfortable from the minute you walk through the doors. The food is very good and quick, the service was amazing. On this occasion there was a leak but dealt with perfectly, did not effect my stay at all, I'm a very happy customer and will be going back again!
Thanks for my lovely stay Chiltern!

Room Tip: I stayed on the first floor, loved it!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Daniel T
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Over night stay on a two day coach trip to Oxford and Bletchley park. We had a Twin room every thing you need and clean. The strange thing two single beds but both beds had a double davit cover with a single davit in it. The hotel needs a bit of tidying and a coat of paint in places. The carpets in places looks a bit fraid round the edges. We had a three course meal with are
stay, Witch was very good. The was a choice and a veg option. We had a good night sleep.
a very good choice of hot and cold breakfast things. They even got me decaf coffee.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I had an overnight stay here for business, and to be fair wasn't expecting much.
Hotel is in a good location only minutes from the M1 and there seemed sufficient car parking available.
Check in was simple and easy and the lady who served me was wonderful. After explaining that I was working in Dunstable until late in the night, she seemed genuinely caring of when I would get something to eat! It was so nice of her and I was overwhelmed by her service, a true ammbassador for your hotel.
Room 127 was ok, the wifi signal was very poor unfortunately so i was unable to do any work. But the decoration was fine, bed was comfy and there were plenty of tea/coffee/milk etc.
This is not a 5 star hotel, but it is very reasonable on price compared with the surrounding area. If you just want a bed for the night then it's fine. I didn't eat so cannot comment on that.

Room Tip: 127 is nice, but the wifi is terrible.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
LTN911, Manager at Chiltern Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor; it was a delight to read your comments.

The Management team and staff are committed to providing the very best service and experience for all our guests, every day. Therefore it is most reassuring that we reached your expectations on this occasion.
I apologize for the WiFi Problem. I had taken up this issue with our internet providers. This has been rectified.

I do hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future occasion, when you can be assured of our personal attention.
I was delighted to read your positive feedback regarding all aspects of the hotel is much appreciated. This opportunity to review guest satisfaction is invaluable as it enables us to assess our performance and improve where necessary.
I am most pleased you enjoyed your experience and hope you will have an opportunity to return to Chiltern Hotel, when you can be assured of our personal attention.

Kind regards
Donna Bowers
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Having read the previous 2 reviews I was not looking forward to the meals at this hotel. We arrived on Saturday 19th October as part of a coach party of 46. The 3 course meal was fine and well served and presented, nice and hot and promptly served, I asked for extra gravy and got a whole boat full. They mistakenly gave me soda water instead of Sauvignon Blanc, this was quickly remedied at no extra cost. We did have a few problems with our room but again this was soon sorted out by a very courteous and helpful manager and we ended up with an upgrade of 2 adjoining rooms, like having our own suite, at no extra cost. The room was quieter than expected, comfortable beds and not too hot.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
LTN911, Manager at Chiltern Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Guest

I read with interest the recent comments you have posted on Trip Advisor.

We are extremely grateful for your support and I have ensured that all members of staff have seen your comments and they join me in extending their thanks.

The motivation our teams get from positive feedback is crucial to our success and balances any reports which we receive which are not so complimentary. We accept these as part of our duty to improve and know that we don’t always get it right.

We are very grateful for your support.

Kind regards
Donna Bowers
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I have just come back from a lunch at this hotel and I have never been offered such dreadful food in such an establishment in my life. We were 140 ladies, and the occasion had been booked some time ago, so they could not claim they did not know how many of us were coming. My "mediterranean vegetable risotto" was inedible - some large pieces of half-cooked red and green peppers in something that resembled rice pudding without the sugar. I managed two mouthfuls and decided enough was enough. The accompanying carrots and broccoli were bland and watery. My neighbours's fish was cold and was served with dreary potatoes and no other vegetables. And worst of all, several people who had chicken found it was undercooked! I trust they are still well a few hours later.
Pudding was bread and butter pudding or fruit salad. My fruit salad was fine, but the bread and butter pudding needed to be seen to be believed. An enormous helping of the driest, stodgiest apology for what should be a delectable creamy pudding - it was difficult to cut with a spoon and fork!
It then took the staff almost half an hour to serve us all with coffee - not sure what the problem was, but they knew we were coming months ago, and they are a hotel for goodness' sake!
On some tables, there was a delay of anything up to ten minutes between the first and last people receiving their food - I repeat- they are a hotel and they knew we were coming.
I watched as the plates were cleared, and I have seldom seen so much food returned to the kitchen.
All in all, a dreadful experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank IloveNaxos

Travellers are raving about these Luton hotels

Luton
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We have just had a lunch for 140 people and certainly everyone on our table thought it was appalling. The risotto was lik a rice pudding, the fish dish had just potatoes, no other veg. Some with the chicken dish had leeks, carrots and broccoli, while others had no carrots. All chicken dishes were swimming in water. The bread and butter pudding was so dry. The coffee came with no sugar, the tea with no milk, only cream. The waitresses were on the defensive and no apology, so not well trained. Faulty Towers springs to mind.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends