“Terrible”

Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in Luton
Brentwood, United Kingdom
“Terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I travel regularly for work and this hotel is the worst that I have stayed at in the UK. It is boiling. When booking I was invited to upgrade to an Executive room which I did. I paid £84 inc breakfast for myself and my wife for 1 night. It seems that an Executive room is simply a standard room that they have recently decorated. It was cramped, dusty, grim. There is an air conditioning unit with a control panel on the wall but this can only be controlled by the reception. I kid you not. They have disabled the room controls, I was told, to save money. As per other entries, the heating pumped out all night and again could not be controlled in the room. At breakfast my wife was moaned at for taking a knife off of another table in spite of there being no one else in the restaurant. I am by no means a serial moaner, indeed this is the first time that I have ever left a review of any kind on any website but this hotel was special. My complaints were met with shoulder shrugs and assurances that my views would be taken on board for the future, this obviously did not help me in my stay. I am seriously considering a complaint to trading standards as the claim on the company's website that "all bedrooms provide comfortable accommodation" in simply not true. Both myself and my wife agreed that sleeping in our car would have been a better experience that staying in this hotel.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tim H
LTN911, Manager at Chiltern Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry to note you had some negative experiences during your visit. It is most regrettable that you were not able to highlight your concers regarding your bedroom with a member of the Management Team at the time, in order that we could address this immediately. We would have been more than happy to show you an alternative, subject to availability.

I do hope you will view these shortfalls as isolated and that you will allow us an opportunity to demonstrate all that we have to offer.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Before i start getting into this place i will say i think the staff were great here and doing the best they could with an awful hotel. I stayed here for two weeks as it was close to family and other commitments. Firstly the hotel was so hot. Got in my room and the heat knocked me back. Radiators on full and it was a warm day. Problem one. The radiator didnt turn off. Was so hot wanted a shower. Problem 2. Shower head was so scaled up i got three strands of water out of it. I had to wash hair in bath using kettle to rinse head. Shower head got fixed but radiator was still on quite high. Next night or so wanted a shower. Was late. Problem 3... No hot water! Anywher!They restarted boiler. Still took a while so no shower. This happened a few times and i found out had happened the year before. They provided fan to help with heating. Had window open all the time. Loads of road noise because of this. Why was the heating on at all? They said they would give me another room. Had to wait for one available. Went to check new room. Radiator full blast! Went for a cider in bar after turning radiator down to the snowflake sign. Hour later went up. Guess what. Radiator on full still. This never worked either. Higher temperature than my other room so stuck it out. Other things were, old round pin sockets still in room so newer sockets were scarce. Had to use an extension. Dressing table wood coming off wrong meal at dinner, Tv remote was awful and 4 channels where there was loads advertised. No net curtains so the traffic at rush hour could look up and see me standing there after shower. Embarrassing....Also lots of noisy functions here and people revving engines outside. Happened 3 nights out of the two weeks i had to stay here. I could go on. I was not the only person to experience the same problems. Last year the hotel was shut as the boilers were rubbish. Nothing has changed i think. Still the hotel was packed though. Unbelievable. This is a very tired place and while theres mugs like me staying here nothing will get done. To be truthful, unless you spend a whole lot more money in Luton i doubt its much different elsewhere. Just read the revues.

Room Tip: There isnt a good room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
LTN911, Manager at Chiltern Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Reviewer

Your positive comments regarding the staff will be shared; I know they will all take great satisfaction from your feedback.

We are working our way through a refurbishment of all rooms at The Hotel and have completed the first floor with a further 15 about to commence in September 2014.

Guest feedback of any nature, whether it be negative or positive is essential in monitoring whether our guests' expectations are being met. Sadly this was not the case on this oocasion.

Executive Assistant Manager

Travellers are raving about these Luton hotels

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I'm not entirely sure why but this place is odd, it may be that the hotel is desperate for an overhaul and the doors to the rooms puts a person in mind of a drug ridden apartment block the room layout is just disconcerting and the service at reception at least when I went there was somewhat unfriendly. Having said this you can see that the place must have been quite cool when it was built, but it was obviously a while ago. The best thing about the place was very much the bar and restaurant staff who were really very good, undermined by the food a little, but good nevertheless.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
LTN911, Manager at Chiltern Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Reviewer

I am sorry to note you had some negative experiences during your visit. It is most regrettable that you were not able to highlight your concerns regarding your bedroom with a member of the Management Team at the time, in order that we could address this immediately.

Llangefni, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Subject: Chiltern Hotel
Location: Luton, Bedfordshire, England, United Kingdom, Europe
Title: Awful
ID#: 199844841

I have just stayed for two nights at this hotel with my daughter. We had two separate bookings in two rooms. Her's was booked by her employer and mine separately as I also had work in the area. I booked my room online via booking.com and clicked the breakfast icon for both days which increased the price accordingly by approx £18.
When I checked in I was told at reception that breakfast wasn't included in my booking, a simple error I thought, I explained I had included it and after some trawling through their records the receptionist acknowledged that I was correct and updated her system. I will refer to this later.
We went to our separate rooms and although extremely basic my room was acceptable. I was surprised however when my daughter came to me and asked where she was supposed to put her clothes? she stated she had no wardrobe, drawers, nothing!
I couldn't believe this and commented what sort of hotel bedroom doesn't have a wardrobe, but having had a look at her room which was filthy I confirmed no wardrobe, only holes in the wall where someone had simply forced the previous wardrobe off the wall and removed it. Neither did she have a decent full length mirror only a small nasty mirror screwed to the wall at head level, no use to anybody. My daughter was attending a training course with her work and naturally wanted to appear smart. Having the ability to hang her clothes would have been a start.
I reported this to reception and was told by the receptionist that it was shoddy and not good enough. She assured me that the housekeeping team would address the situation the following day. So, that was one night of my daughters clothes being laid out all over the floor. I even suggested to reception that I would pay extra to have my daughters room upgraded to a suite as advertised in the hotel. I wanted my daughters experience of going away with work for the first time to be a pleasant one but I was told there should be no need for that, by that I thought they were going to upgrade her themselves at no additional cost but no.
The following morning I went for breakfast and having given my room number and sat down with the food I was approached by the waitress who in front of everybody and with no tact at all said 'you are going to have to pay for that with cash' referring to the breakfast. I asked her not to embarrass me further and to go away and to check with reception as their system had been updated the previous day. She did and when she returned she acknowledged her error. During the second day I enquired with reception as to the latest in relation to the wardrobe, I was told there was nothing that could be done and there was in fact a small plastic arm screwed to the wall which swung out which could be used to hang clothes. I checked on this, NO there wasn't. I forgot to mention that in between this myself and my daughter had eaten an evening meal in the restaurant, fine if you like burnt chips and incorrect meals being served. We tried the restaurant again for the second night and again incorrect meals, this was becoming embarrassing. On the point of embarrassment I went down for breakfast on the second morning and yes you've guessed it, I was approached by another waitress who again stated quite loudly so others could hear 'breakfast isn't included, you will have to pay' I simply said 'go away' she saw the extreme anger in my face and departed.
I then went up for a shower only to find the water to be freezing, I called reception and asked what was the problem with the water and I was told there wasn't any! all the hot water had been used and there was a problem with the boiler. It didn't surprise me, by that time I half expected this. On checkout I explained my concerns about the shoddy way in which we had been treated and the receptionist responded by saying' well there was nothing we could do about your daughters wardrobe we just don't have one', I replied in which case you don't let the room, she shrugged her shoulders and deducted the cost of my breakfasts from my bill. (my daughter hadn't eaten any breakfast she was too busy trying to sort her clothes!)
It was bad and if anyone is still thinking of attending then do yourselves a favour, don't wear nice clean clothes the place is filthy, just look at the stains on the armchairs in the bar! you wouldn't allow your dog to sit there, no wonder they've put cheap and tacky black nylon covers on the dining room furniture, what lurks beneath? There is no excuse, I appreciate it wasn't the most expensive hotel but it wasn't the cheapest either and I'm not talking luxuries here just basic hotel cleanliness, efficiency and decency.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
LTN911, Manager at Chiltern Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Reviewer

I was very sorry to read your comments on Trip Advisor and may I fistly apologise for the inconvenience caused and the dissappointment you experienced.

Guest feeback of any nature, whether it be negative or positive is essential in monitoring whether our guests' expectations are being met. Sadly this was not the case on this occasion.

Eexecutive Assistant Manager
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night for business. The receptionist could not have been more friendly or professional. I travel a lot for work and it's the best service I've had. She kindly checked if I needed travel for the morning, printed a map and directed me to the bus stop. The room was clean and bathroom recently refurbished. A bit too warm and the control didn't work but managed to stand on the bed to turn it on from the unit. Had a chicken burger at the restaurant and it was good. For business I would stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
LTN911, Manager at Chiltern Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share the benefit of your experience and for choosing Chiltern Hotel. I am delighted to note you enjoyed all aspects of your visit.

We are very grateful for your support.

Assistant Executive Manager
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

We booked the Chiltern as a super-cheap 'sleep, park and fly'. We paid £99 for a family room (2 adults, 2 kids), dinner for four, parking for 11 nights, and a taxi to and from the airport. Excellent value we thought - "how bad can it be for that price" I said to my wife?

We arrived in the evening after a long drive, the reception staff were pleasant, and the hotel, whilst a bit shabby, was clean and tidy. We opted to go straight for some food in the restaurant.

The staff were pretty confused about what we could or couldn't have as part of our combined deal but after literally 10 minutes of conferring in a back room, we were told that we had £10 each to spend! We ordered food from the (hotel prices) menu and settled in with a drink. My wife ordered a stuffed pepper with cous cous and a tomato coulis. I ordered salmon and potatoes; and, my daughters had fish & chips, and egg & chips.

The stuffed pepper was literally a baked pepper with plain white rice in it, sat on a few limp leaves of lettuce. Really? For 10 pounds? The waitress explained when asked that they had run out of the other ingredients. Is that really the best the chef could do when asked to improvise? We saw another table send the same dish back in disgust (the other guest left the hotel to go somewhere else to eat).

The fish and chips looked OK: "wow" my daughter said when she saw the size of the plateful. "Yeeeeeeuuuuch" she said when she tasted the fish. Thinking she was exaggerating, I tasted it too. I can honestly say that I have *never* tasted fish that gross - it was a grey, watery, mush. I literally spat it out - something I have not done as an adult. How could it be that bad?

On a positive note, the fried egg and chips, and my salmon were OK. I was missing various ingredients from my dish (prawns), but the waitress compensated by bringing some deep fried battered prawns and some onion rings out 'on the house'. She really tried to be fair - she was just let down by the kitchen.

We then went up to our room with the kids now definitely ready for bed. Unfortunately the double room did not have any beds for them to sleep in. We went back to reception and they set about getting us the family room we had booked. After a short wait, we were shown to our new room. It was a compact twin room with a small off-shot living area containing a sofa bed. The sofa bed had been made up into a double bed. Well, I say 'made up' - someone had put the sofa bed out and thrown a duvet and some cushions on top of it. We asked whether we might have a sheet to sleep on...

We put the kids to bed in the single beds whilst we waited. Having given up on the first request after 15 minutes, I went down to reception and asked again. Ten minutes later someone showed up with a sheet. We sat in the small living area waiting for the kids to go to sleep - would have been nice to watch TV or something but there wasn't one. We managed to get some sleep.

The next morning, the taxi that reception had booked for us turned up on time, the taxi voucher we had been given worked fine, and off we went on holiday. Again, the staff were helpful and pleasant. The return taxi was also fine.

In summary - this is a poorly run hotel with some friendly staff trying their best to make it work. I would under no circumstances ever eat in the restaurant again. And, I would triple-check in advance to make sure the room you have booked is going to be waiting for you.

Good luck.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank joe_fow72
LTN911, Manager at Chiltern Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Special Offer £99.00 inc VAT. Overnight Accommodation for a family of 4, Taxi Trasfers to and from Luton Airport, Dinner for 4, Car parking for 11 nights, breakfast for 4. (Breakfast not taken)

Dear Fowler Family

It was very dissappointing to read your notes concerning your recent visit to The Chiltern Hotel.

Clearly a number of issues portrayed the Hotel in a very poor light with particular regard to the Restaurant Food and of course the mix up at Reception regarding your dinner allowance and room availability.

The Speical offer Price of £99 inc VAT should have no reflection on our service and we are sorry that your visit was a disappointing one even though it fulfilled the needs of overnight accommodation and transferes to and from the airport before your Holiday.

The Speical Offer has been very popular because of the Value it offers and to date we have sold over 3000 of these packages to many happy travellers who often state that the Hotel, Dinner and Transfers are a better price than the Parking alon at Luton.

The Restaurant and bar is a popular venue for busy travellers during the week and again with over 36,000 visitors a year staying at the hotel (up from 32,000 last year) it is unthinkable that the standards you were offered are typical, I am afraid and very sorry that your experiences were very isolated.

We will endeavour to continue this Speical Offer and can only aplogise for what was a disappointing stay.

Your sincereley

The Chiltern Hotel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

On arrival, Katie was most helpful, I had been booked elsewhere but they had double booked me, so changed me to the Chiltern....
Yes, some if the hotel looks tired, in need of a bit more love... But the service was better than I have had in 4 star accommodation.
The room is basic, exactly what I paid for, the restaurant is adequate, I was lucky enough to have carvery and really enjoyed it. I ordered drinks at the bar and was served by Reece, who was a welcoming and professional host, a credit to your team. I will be stating here again, I have read previous reviews and I'm surprised by the negatives... If the tired decor is the worst thing... For £50 I can forgive it... A very enjoyable stay. The staff make your hotel, all of them where excellent and caring. Thank you.

• Stayed February 2014
LTN911, Manager at Chiltern Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor; it was a delight to read your comments.

The Management team and staff are committed to providing the very best service and experience for all our guests, every day. Therefore it is most reassuring that we reached your expectations on this occasion.

I do hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future occasion, when you can be assured of our personal attention.