“Cheap and cheerful, but clean and tidy”

Comfort Hotel London Luton
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Luton
Reading, United Kingdom
“Cheap and cheerful, but clean and tidy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

It seems from reading other reviews that I may just have been lucky with the room I was allocated but everything was clean, tidy and in order.
This is a no-frills place, located a very short walk from Luton railway station (the town centre one, not the airport one). As such, although hotel facilites are limited - though you can get a small selection of alcoholic and soft drinks, crisps, nuts, etc - it is less than a 5 minute walk from all the facilites of the town centre (and they have no problem, on my experience, with you bringing takeaway food in).
The downside of the location is that there is no truly quiet spot. You are either on a main road, or the railway tracks, though the rooms overlooking the car park are, I think, the best of the bunch. This is what I had and, though I tend to be a light sleeper, I slept well.
I stayed here for a (short) night before an early flight out of Luton Airport. I simply wanted a cheap, comfortable place to lay my head and, on that basis, this delivered completely.
Public transport (train and bus) links to the airport are good on paper (I didn't use them) and my taxi was less than £10.
The staff I met on check in and check out were helpful and polite.
All in all, it was simple, cheap, comfortable and, for what it is, more than adequate for my needs.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Polish first
Empuriabrava
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

I booked this hotel because of the pictures of beds that looked modern, comfy and soft with fluffy pillows, right ? WRONG !! I was staggered to find old mattresses with springs poking through and thin flattened pillows. Those pictures must have been 10 years old. If you're looking for a good night's sleep before an early morning flight, pay a few pounds more and go to a reliable chain hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank jensen22
LHGManagement, General Manager at Comfort Hotel London Luton, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your recent review to tripadvisor following your stay.

We truly value the opinions of our customers and I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Please note that all our 22 Standard rooms and 22 Executive rooms had a major refurbishment last year. We have replaced all bedroom and corridor carpets throughout along with the furniture and decor.

As our mission has always been to provide our guests with the best hospitality and service, should you decide to stay with the Comfort Hotel Luton in the future I would be more than happy to offer you a free upgrade to one of our Executive Rooms.

Kind Regards

Travellers are raving about these Luton hotels

Crawley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I would like to express my extreme dissatisfaction with my stay at the Comfort Hotel in Luton.

I made a reservation for 2 double rooms for myself and a colleague in order to get a good nights sleep before a very important interview in Luton.

Unfortunately it was the worst hotel experience I have ever had.

The key and the hotel's master key would not work in the lock for one of the rooms so we could not gain access. No alternate room was offered and we were kept waiting for an hour and a half before the door was finally opened. By this time it was 2245h and this had prevented us both from getting appropriate rest as my colleague had to wait in my room until the problem was fixed. After all the waiting my colleague was then told that the guest key would not work in the door lock and he could not have a master key so he had to enter his room and stay there until checkout.

This is completely unacceptable and it felt like we had checked into a PRISON.

After finally getting into our rooms it was then impossible to get any rest. We both agreed it was possibly the worst nights sleep we had ever had. It was boiling hot and very stuffy, when the window was opened the noise of huge main road and train track made it impossible to sleep. The bed in one of the rooms had also collapsed on one side making it very uncomfortable.

I am extremely upset about our experience; particularly because it affected such an important interview. I asked for compensation at the time but all I was offered was a free drink at the bar which before an interview was not good at all!

I have since written to the hotel management and sent numerous emails and had no reply.

I can confirm that our company will not be using any of your properties in the future.

Room Tip: Don't book here in the first place....
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Hannah100885
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed one night, 7th March 2014. Not happy with the room at the Comfort Hotel in Luton, in fact it was grotty, the curtains were torn and solid with dirt, mildew in the bathroom,( spots on the ceiling, and blackened grouting.) The kettle was faulty, and was due to be checked in November 2012!!! This we did pass on to the staff in reception (they were lovely by the way.) Thick black dust under the radiator. bashed and chipped on top The runner at the end of the bed was dirty, BUT.......the sheets were clean, so was the mattress, thank goodness, although it was spoilt by the piece of board nailed to the top of the base. The outside was shabby and dated, didn't look very 'inviting' All in all, not a place I will be visiting again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tina H
Malta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Reception people nice and helpful, chose this hotel for private parking, close to Luton airport for an overnight. Rooms horribly old and shabby. Bathroom clean, cannot tell the rest of the room since the carpet and cupboards are soooo old and scrathed its hard to tell.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JSammut
LHGManagement, Manager at Comfort Hotel London Luton, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your recent review to tripadvisor following your stay.

I am happy to hear that you found the staff helpful and I am confident that your next visit to the Comfort Hotel Luton will better reflect our commitment to customer satisfaction.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

I am staying here one night. It's probably the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in. Rooms functional and very basic. Amazingly enough it was fully booked so I could not get a single room. I have a trie room which is fine if it were not for the fact that it faces the main road and feels like a part if the train station. If I'd know how incredibly noisy it was I would have looked for another hotel. The town centre is short on hotels. It's £50 for the night excluding breakfast which is a bit rich given the state of the place. Don't get me wrong it's clean but very very basic. Staff are pleasant enough. I will not be back.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
LHGManagement, Manager at Comfort Hotel London Luton, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at our hotel.
At the Comfort Hotel Luton we endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a comfortable environment and I do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this.

I understand that you were unhappy due to the noise from the trains though on our website we do state our location "Only a few minutes' walk to Luton Railway Station" but please note that the trains do not run all night and by 11pm the train service is very limited.
I am happy to hear that you found your room clean and the staff pleasant. I understand that you were staying in a standard room and should you decide to stay with the Comfort Hotel Luton in the future I will be more than happy to offer you a free upgrade to one of our Executive Double Rooms.

Once again I do apologise for your disappointment but I am confident that your next visit to the Comfort Hotel Luton will better reflect our commitment to customer satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Comfort Hotel Luton in the future.

kjpt140v
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Overnight stop on the way to Dover and thank the Lord that is all it was.
From the car park entrance through the corridor was pleasant enough. Reception was ok and Anita the receptionist was very good and made us very welcome but that is where it all ends. our room had filthy carpets, the dado rail had never been cleaned there a dust, fluff and grime imbedded into it. The windows inside were filthy, squashed flies on the inside, the bathroom a disgusting, the shower tray was dirty, the wash bowl was cracked and dirty. the skirting boards were filthy with dust and fluff. Rice paper thin duvet, cold room. Décor not touched for years.
Railway station noisy, almost touch the bridge from my room, road junction very nosy a were passers by. Insulation of noise not helped by cheap double-glazing, very thin.
Forget the cost of the room £20 would be too much. The place is a joke.

Room Tip: Try some where else
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
LHGManagement, Manager at Comfort Hotel London Luton, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at our hotel.
We truly value the opinions of our customers and I do apologise that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.
Please be assured your comments have been noted and we have addressed the cleanliness issue with all staff concerned. Providing our guests with the best hospitality and service has always been our mission and I am confident that your next visit to the Comfort Hotel Luton will better reflect our commitment to customer satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Comfort Hotel Luton in the future.