“Not worth it”

Luton Hoo - Afternoon Tea
Reserve with OpenTable
Luton Hoo - Afternoon Tea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 314 Restaurants in Luton
Price range: US$0 - US$64
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Not worth it”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Booked for afternoon tea after a Land Rover Experience at Luton Hoo (which was awesome, thanks Land Rover) arrived at the hotel early as we'd booked for 4.30 but arrived at 4pm but this wasn't an issue. The hotel is lovely and we had high hopes for an enjoyable delight!. We opted for the champagne Afternoon tea which pushed the price up a little but it is champagne after all!
The sandwiches were "OK" nice mix but a little boring, the scones were dry and crumbly - the cakes were, to put it bluntly, very disappointing! (a jelly effort, blueberry pie thingy and a macaron, which tasted of nothing) The service was slow (lots of young trainees, which to be fair I don't mind, they have to start somewhere) and a little disjointed, I would have rather just had the champagne in the beautiful garden area and left it at that .. and to charge £6.80 per person to "top up" the sandwiches is just a joke.

Great for a drink in the garden but afternoon tea needs an upgrade (and expensive for what it was)

2 Thank E84KER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Turkish first
Ampthill, England, United Kingdom
“Taste free gluten free afternoon tea”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I visited luron loo last weekend in a party of 12 for a friends 50th. As I am gluten/wheat intolerant I phoned ahead to enquire as to what they offered as a gluten free alternative to normal afternoon tea? I was informed by the receptionist that the gluten free afternoon tea completely "mirrored" the normal afternoon tea menu. On arrival at our table, my friend who had also ordered the gluten free alternative were served tasteless sandwiches on bread that was clearly not baked in house and obviously shop bought (probably Genius bread at £3 a loaf). The 2nd layer was a choc cake slice with a couple of meringue type things, some sort of fruit jelly with an empty top layer. Meanwhile our friends tucked into a proper tea accompanied by fresh scones, tarts, cakes, cream and jam. When I enquired to our waitress as yo where our scones were, out came two choc brownie type things in cardboard that again we're tasteless, burnt and looked like they had been wacked into the microwave from frozen and couldn't be eaten. The tea was served in lovely china but not particularly hot. The manager did come over to respond to my complaints about how poor the gluten free food was and said he didn't know why we were not offered scones and the same "mirrored" menu as promised when booking. He offered to refund the price of the scones and when I challenged that I didn't think this was good enough he then offered a refund of £10 to myself and my friend who also ordered the gluten free. I still didn't think this was a good enough refund from £27.50 a head that we paid for thus experience and expected the full price to be refunded but as we were celebrating our friends 50th birthday I didn't want to cause a scene by complaining further. I would not recommend Luton Hoo for a gluten afternoon tea which is a shame with its stunning surroundings. For a 5 star hotel I was expecting everything I ate to match what my friends where eating and didn't expect it to be a prob for the kitchen to make gluten free bread, cakes etc when all they had to do was substitute the flours used.

2 Thank Kerry B
Edlesborough, United Kingdom
“adam's brasserie”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Visited for the first time for my husband's birthday, the location is lovely but the food was very disappointing. The starters were so bland that neither tasted of anything and mine was mackeral! We both had tagliatelle for main but had to ask for a spoon, whereas other places we go would have automatically changed the cutlery to suit - poor training obviously. In no hurry to go back. The only good thing was I requested a booth and got one.

Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England
“Not up to expectations”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Five of us went for afternoon tea last Thursday afternoon. First impressions were not good as the path from the car park to the front of the house (where us 'afternoon teaers' are not allowed to park...) went through areas of untended gardens and large weed patches. The formal gardens were well laid out though and interesting to wander around. Tea itself was of average standard; with small crustless sandwiches with fillings so thin you could see through them. Nice variety of breads, but one bite and they were gone. Scones were good, but again the cakes were tiny and unimaginitive. For £27.50 each, you are paying for the environment and the service, which was very good. Just don't go there hungry and expect not to have to cook a dinner as well!

2 Thank Andy-S60
Luton, United Kingdom
“Morning Coffee”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

There were 16 of us from the office that went for morning coffee at Luton Hoo. We were seated in comfy armchairs with a decent bit of space for us to enjoy. The staff were very attentive and kept and eye on us all morning without being obtrusive. You don't get much change from a fiver for a tea or coffee but that does come with a very large and delicious cookie.

There are a number of different options if you want more than a tea or coffee (which does get replenished constantly). I can recommend the basket of Danish pastries which comes with either tea or coffee for £10.95. i couldn't finish it all so took the chocolate muffin home to eat later.

We had a wander around the ganders after the refreshments. We enjoyed it so much that next year we might even stay for lunch. It was a really good morning.