“No heating in our room and very thin sheets plus useless staff equals worse nights sleep ever.”
Review of Red Lion Hotel

Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Luton
Reviewed 28 November 2010

The staff were very unhelpful, the room had no heating and the covers were really thin. Had no sleep and the staff did nothing about this. Would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

• Stayed November 2010
3 Thank ckinguyana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Attended a friends party and booked in on a "special rate". £50 for the double room (room only not B&B) rather than the £65.

Struggled to find the parking only to find that unless guests park before the staff they have no chance.

Room has obviously been recently refurbished and is pretty. That is the ONLY thing going for it.

Having read here about the central location/late pub noise I was fully prepared for the noise. I was NOT however prepared for the security staff knocking on the room doors in my corridor (including ours) at 3.30am. I thought it was drunken people at the end of their night when I heard... "3.30 alarm call"! Needless to say because they wouldn't stop I got up only to be asked if I owned one of the cars in the car park. Chance would have been a fine thing! It seems someone had parked one of the staff in and he did not care who he woke up to get home. Perhaps he should have parked elsewhere!!!

I am disappointed having paid £50... I would have been spitting pips if I had paid the £65!

Would I recommend it... NEVER!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank kissitbetta

Travellers are raving about these Luton hotels

Dalarna
Reviewed 3 September 2010

this is the fourth time I've stayed here and you CANNOT beat it for its central position. Make sure you get a room NOT over car-park/windows to bar... Got that in April and it was noisy.. but it was Easter..
Now *I'm on the other side,, beautiful room., perfect FREE WIFI.. couldn't be better,, took a while to check in however,, at first bar and it was busy, but 8.pm is a busy time in pubs (as it should be)

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank marie6323
Darlington
Reviewed 27 October 2008

Do not book until the place has been refurbished at least!!!

I checked in (via the bar) with fairly friendly staff, who immediatley warned me that there would be a lot of noise as it was a town centre late night pub. The part of the hotel I was directed to was just over the car park from the pub, with an external door for which I needed a key. I immediately noticed that this door had been kicked in, not a good omen!! The room I was given smelt very damp. There was paint peeling off the walls, the paper on the ceiling was hanging off with damp, there was mould all over the aged bathroom, and the room was freezing. It felt like I was a squatter in an old house! I was allocated another room as I expressed my displeasure, which faired little better, all I could say for this one is that there didn't seem to be any damp on the ceiling!

I again complained to hotel reception, and as there was no double rooms left I was offered a twin room. By this point I was really not comfortable staying at the hotel, and asked for a refund, which was duly given. I can't fault the friendliness of the staff, they even rang around to find me a room at another hotel. They did tell me that the hotel was due for refurbishment soon, although I would say the place should be closed until this happens. For £3 extra you can stay at the Premier Travel Inn, much more comfortable!! Will not go there again!

• Liked — Nothing!!!!!
  • Disliked — Everything!!!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank lisaw960
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 29 April 2008

Above average room. Very comfortable beds and good choice of extras for the price we payed. There is an ironing press, kettle, hair-dryer and TV.

The only drawbacks: it is located above a late licensed pub that gets noisy in the evenings and there is no escalator - the stairways to the rooms are narrow.

• Liked — The room itself
  • Disliked — The noise
  • Stayed September 2003, travelled on business