“Not that good”

Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Luton
Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
“Not that good”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed here for four nights for business reasons. Basic rooms no door on wardrobe . Food not really good, carvery option not much else so if you do not like roast very limited. One member of staff in restaurant was warm and friendly Delores the rest of them did not seem bothered at all and it felt like we were an inconvenience. I also had gone to bed early as had very busy important day coming up, and was woken up by reception chasing me about a bill that had already been dealt with. Not too. Good an experience.

Room Tip: Need to be at back of hotel as planes can be heard otherwise
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
ManagerEncoreLuton, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Luton Airport, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments.

I am sorry that you were disturb by reception unnecessarily.

None of our wardrobes have doors as they are open wall hangers a space below for folded items.

My apologies,as it appears that you were not offered our Full Menu and only the Carvery.We have a large selection of main courses freshly prepared daily by our Chef and a choice of 2 roasts on the Carvery ,along with a choice of starters, grills,salads, pasta's ,pizza,traditional favorites,and sandwiches from our main menu .

I am disappointed that you found our food offering not to your liking.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Basel
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed here for one overnight on a business trip. The accomodation was adequate for an airport stayover - basic comfort levels obtained at a reasonable rate.

Check-in and check out efficient with friendly staff
Internet free and good connection
Comfortable bed - good sleep quality
Bathroom - shower only - but clean with shower gel/shampoo dispenser

Did not have any meals here - so I can't judge the eating options.
Had a pricey coffee at the bar (it was more expensive than the beer !)
Ate down town using a local taxi service - which was quick and convenient.

All in all it fits the purpose of an overnight staying close to an airport - it is clean and functional.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel,and hope that we can welcome you back in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

I have used this hotel several times before on business trips arranged by my employer, it has never been great, I have had to ask to move rooms once before due to cleanliness issues but as I don't pay for it I've never been too bothered.

On this occasion I have to write a review.

On check in, I asked the male member of staff at reception if I could check in, he said yes.... Then an awkward silence... I asked again... Again he said "yes...but I'm going to need your name" his attitude was rude and unhelpful, my colleague who was also waiting to check in even commented on it. Apologies check in staff but if you don't ask me for information I'm not psychic.

During dinner (alright but nothing special, the food choices on the carvery are poorly matched) I slipped on a wet floor. I landed quite heavily on my knee and hurt myself. It is currently bruised and bleeding (I'm writing this from my room). I spilled a plate of food both on myself and the floor. Two members of staff saw me fall and did nothing. I was not asked if I was ok, they offered no apology even after I explained what happened to the male member of staff in the restaurant. I was sat with colleagues who kindly asked the staff for some ice for my knee, again no such help was offered by staff. The only thing the staff said to me was to ask me to go to reception and fill out an accident form.

I went to reception to ask for said form. The duty manager filled it out for me and again offered no apology until I told her that until this point I had not received one. To be fair she seemed genuinely shocked and was apologetic in her attitude. I explained what happened, the poor service from check in and just how furious I was. Nothing further was offered. I asked for their complaints policy, she disappeared for a while and returned with the general managers business card and said he would speak to me in the morning. I am also at my leisure to email him.

I'm not a complainer. I have worked in the service industry in retail, catering and now in banking. I am fully aware of how irritating an unjustified complainer is which is why I haven't complained at this hotel before. Despite the cleanliness issues during previous stays (which I showed the duty manager pictures and a video of an insect crawling on sheets, hair and a bottle cap under the desk during a previous stay, video will be on youtube) but on this occasion I have had to. I have called the complaints line I found online and made a complaint. I will repeat this complaint to the general manager in the morning.

I will also speak to my resourcing team at work on my return to request that this hotel is removed as our preferred partner in the Luton area. I can't say wether or not they will action my request but if you are reading this, and you are considering wether or not to pay for this hotel, my advice is to stay at one of the other hotels nearby, including the holiday inn, ibis, premier inn or Hampton by Hilton.

Sorry ramada, I won't be staying here again, one bleeding knee is enough.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank thesimdude
ManagerEncoreLuton, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Luton Airport, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Guest,

I meet with you the next morning,after you made the post.

I came to find you ,when having breakfast and asked if could speak to you after breakfast.

Due to the issues you had on check in and your bedroom, we offered you a couple of options, as an apologe and you opted for a Bottle of Champage.

Regarding the issue with your slip which resulted in you injurying your knee this is under internal investigation .

Kind Regards,

Travellers are raving about these Luton hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

If Ikea made prisons I reckon they would look a bit like this!! It's clean / sterile, food is not horrible but definitely average boil in the bag / deep fried type of stuff, rooms are soundproof / claustrophobic as not one window opens. I didn't hate it but what I've said is reasonably accurate! Very basic. Does exactly what it says on the tin! Average bed for the night.

Room Tip: Some rooms have sofa beds which if aren't in use give you a sofa!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank bigjarv1000
Dear Guest

Thank you for your post.

I am surprised at the heading in view of your comments,which imply that we met your needs.

Sorry that you found your room claustrophobic,due to not being able to open a window.All our rooms have climate control and are quite spacious rooms.The windows do not open for safety reasons, also noise and with climate control in each room to offer each guest.

All our food is freshly prepared at the Hotel and good to see that liked your meal.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The room was clean and quiet, no sounds from the airport even though the the hotel is within walking distance. We had a reasonably priced meal although the veg. on the car ery was a bit dry. The service was good and the staff were friendly and helpful.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments.

I am glad that you found the Hotel suited you needs and you had a good nights sleep as you found the rooms to be quite.

Its good that you found our food to be value for money and you enjoyed what you had.

I apologise that the vegetables were not to our normally high standard and i will pass your comments on to the kitchen team .

I hope when using Luton again we can welcome you back to the Hotel.

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This is a lovely new hotel with thick carpets and lovely rooms situated half way between the train station and the airport. There is abar and restaurant although we ate fromt he bar meals menu. I ordered a spicy veggie burger which was large came with beautiful golden chips, home made coleslaw and a large soft bun. Unfortunately the burger was completely black and burned. I did taste it to see if it tasted as burnt as it looked and it did! When I returned it the waitress seemed puzzled that I was asking for another one and when she returned with the next one said 'I hope this is more to your liking', I am puzzled as to would have found a black and burnt burger to their liking! The next one was lovely and I would recommend it. A taxi to the airport is £6 but as it is only 1/2 mile we walked.

Room Tip: It is off the main road so all rooms are quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments.

Firstly let me apologise for the problem with your burger,i am please that it was dealt with and that
when it was replaced that it was to your liking and to the standard it should have been in the first place.

Its great to see that overall you enjoyed your stay and i look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Modern hotel, very clean, with friendly service. The lounge/bar area is fine, but the restaurant is basic, and the food was not great - but as there wasn't much choice of alternatives within walking distance, it did the job.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
ManagerEncoreLuton, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Luton Airport, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Its good to see that in general you had an enjoyable stay.

I will pass your comments on to our team,it is something that our regular guests comment on regarding our team ,being helpful and friendly.

I am sorry to see the food was not to your liking.I would very interested in your comments, so please feel free to contact me on the Hotel phone number 01582 218111 so that we can discuss your views.

I look forward to hearing from you.