“Knocking shop standard”
Review of Stuart Hotel

Stuart Hotel
Ranked #23 of 27 Hotels in Luton
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Never again. This place is crawling with filth.
1st room we checked into: sheets had pubic hairs, pillow case smelled of the previous occupant, kick/scuff marks all around the walls, HUGE hole (like a punch made it) in the bathroom, sink in bathroom not cleaned, stink of weed, tea cups clearly wiped rather than cleaned. So we asked for a new room and were told that the hotel can't always know what previous guests have been up to... I guess if the cleaner had graced the room with his/her presence, they might have a chance of knowing what had been going on!
2nd room we checked into: bed looked and smelled like it had been changed - small mercy!, pubic hair in the bath/shower, bathroom floor dirty (looked like dried urine by the toilet), kettle area filthy, cups again not cleaned properly, teaspoons might have been rinsed under a cold tap, clearly not enough to remove the tea marks from the previous guest.
Hotel communal areas: fire doors open constantly, stink of burned grease from the kitchen all the way up the stairs, filthy, sticky carpet and oh my God the elevator was so filthy it made my skin itch.
I didn't have a shower, or breakfast or a cuppa in the room. I slept in my clothes and got the hell out of there. I awoke with three bug bite marks.
Plus side: the staff were friendly.

Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank PaddyOTravel

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed in this hotel for one night - which was enough.

I ate elsewhere but did have a couple of drinks in the bar which is well-decorated although the decoration may not be to everyone's taste. The receptionist and other staff were helpful and friendly. The room was pretty good. Some staining to the tea-making area but otherwise clean and tidy. Excellent wifi reception and not too noisy considering that it is centrally positioned.

But it was soooooo cold in the room!! Fortunately, I worked out why. The air conditioning unit was trying to warm the room but the filter was so full of dust that it was impossible for air to flow through it. In the middle of the night I removed the filter (leaving it where a cleaner could find it) and all of a sudden the room started getting warm.

If the management read these reviews (and I doubt it because they'd have surely read the comments about the cold rooms) then they could do worse than to ensure that the air-con filters are on the cleaning regime.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Shaun B
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Outside of hotel and reception area looks ok, this is as good as it gets. Rooms was in need of a good clean and a lick of paint. I was totally unimpressed when my shoe stuck to what appeared to be dry urine in the bathroom.
I had Requested a quite room however my room was so noisy I may as well have taken my bed and put it by the side of the road it was so noisy, some double glazing would not go astray.
It would also be helpful if the hotel advertised the fact that their restaurant does not open over weekends.
On the upside breakfast was nice.
I will not be staying in this hotel again.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed at this place for 6 nights, and it has been the most soul destroying stay. There were multiple incidents which shocked me as to how badly run this place really is
Firstly, the staff have no idea of customer service. Initially I was "greeted" by a young male at the reception desk, who proceeded to call me "bruv" and had loud music playing from his phone with several profanities, and made no attempt to turn it off whilst with me. Secondly, the rooms were terrible. Clean, but that's about it. They have tea stains and markings on the counter on which they provide the kettle on, and when I informed that I was unhappy at how dirty this was to the man at reception, he merely said "it's one of those things"
The rooms felt cheap, and the bathrooms all had fixtures and fittings that were loose and bent. Also, there was a lot of paint marks and plaster drippings on the windows. In addition to this, there was no remote for the climate control or TV and was informed they didn't have any
To add further insult to injury, we were away from the room for a day or so, and they sought fit to "remove" our toiletries and stated that we had vacated the room..despite the room being fully paid up for another few days at least.
When the staff returned the items, they didn't even knock, they walked straight in! What type of a hotel allows staff to walk in unannounced? When they returned our items, they had lost 2 of them, and 2 cleaners told differing stories as to how this had happened
Lastly, when I confronted the receptionist called "Pat", she was disgusting with her attitude. At NO POINT did she offer an apology whatsoever, and proceeded to argue with me and tell me how good the rooms were. Needless to say, I escalated this to her manager who has since apologised and taken disciplinary action so I'm told.
Utterly stunned at this pathetic excuse for a hotel. The price paid was more than others in the area, and the quality is shoddy beyond belief. Rooms have an unfinished and tacky appearance, and customer service is non existent. STAY CLEAR if you want a decent stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank WMC87
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The website portrays the hotel very well. I was fooled by this and decided to use it regularly for our external clients visiting our institution. We had a fixed price of £55 bed and breakfast and thought this was a good deal, only until the complaints from our clients came flooding in.
Their complaints include: Hotel was dirty and smelly, didn't want to eat the food, area felt unsafe and very poor customer service.
Don't stay here!

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I am currently sitting in the bar area after having a fantastic breakfast here. i booked for 2 nights and paid £60 per night including breakfast. the room was clean and comfortable and the staff are polite and friendly. The hot water does take a few minutes to come through but i totally enjoyed my shower once it did. The fire alarm didn't go off during my stay and i didn't find it noisy at all. if you want or expect 5 star service/room, you will expect to pay for it. This is a very reasonable place to stay and for the price i paid i believe it was exceptional. I will stay here again in 3 weeks and would recommend to anyone coming to luton. Cheap, comfortable, clean, free wifi, great food, and friendly staff. if your stuck up your own backside and expect the ritz, stay elsewhere. no offence :)).

Room Tip: i stayed on the 3rd floor, no noise, no problems.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed here in order to avoid a long drive home whilst working in Luton and to get some rest after a long day. Rest did not happen, the fire alarms went off all night so spent hours standing outside the building. Spoke to some guest who were staying here for a while and they informed me this is a regular occurrence. When we finally went back to our room in the early hours our wake up call which we requested did not happen. Reception were totally unsympathetic and not at all bothered in the morning about our terrible night of broken sleep and standing in the freezing cold for 2 and a half hours. Absolutely appalled.