“Wigmore Fish and chips”

Ranked #9 of 320 Restaurants in Luton
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This restaurant is the tops! Clean and welcoming, this small little place is the best for fish and chips, always cooked while you wait, nicely presented by a small friendly staff. Seats about 16-20 people at any one time. Also does take away and always quite a queue for their varied menu of which applies also to the restaurant. There is a set meal for seniors, fish and chips, mushy peas and a cup of tea for under £7.00
Our meal last week was one chicken burger,chicken freshly cooked and served with salad trimmings, one senior meal and one steak and kidney pie, served with peas or mush peas. Total cost with teas £22.20. There is ample car parking

There are newer reviews for Wigmore Fish Restaurant And Take Away

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We discovered this gem purely by chance and have made it a tradition whenever we land in Luton. The fish and chips is tasty and fresh (we had haddock and cod), the service delightful - warm and friendly; the restaurant is clean and the price - good value for money! Definitely a must before you leave Luton!

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I wouldn't normally write a review for a chippy but this place is just great. The fish and chips are as good as they come. They also have homemade fish cakes and some southern style chicken that is yummy. The restaurant is ok and not much more money than take out. The one thing I am so impressed with is the staff attitude. At the takeaway counter the smiling genuine staff calling me sir in a really attentive way is so out of the ordinary today. These guys are on it and deserve a visit.
Good luck to them a good job .

1  Thank filmlocationhound
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Absolutely love the fish & chips here...sadly we don't live locally but whenever we get the opportunity we are more than happy to travel the 25 minutes to enjoy quality. They have a restaurant as well as take-away, the service is always friendly, have never had a bad meal there. I love the freshness (apparently the oil is changed every day) and love the little touches such as chilled glasses and the homemade cheesecake...my husband says the gravy is the best he's ever had. Highly recommend :)

Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I regularly visit the plaice (!) for take away as the food has always been of a consistently high standard. We don't go on Fridays as we know there will be a queue out the door and we would rather not wait.
Therefore we went on Thursday instead and although it was busy we were prepared to wait our turn. The queue moved quickly enough and we plaiced (I know same pun but I can't help it!) our order and paid.
It was at this point that things went seriously downhill. We stood waiting for fifteen minutes whilst others came and went who had been in the queue after us. Now I know by this point you are probably thinking that we must have ordered something special but no, plain old cod & chips for me and chicken meat and chips for the other half. I saw several people walk out with cod that had ordered after me and the chicken is on a stick in front of you so that can't be hard to serve.
Upon mentioning the matter that we had been waiting a while we were informed that all the orders were being completed in the order they were taken but I know this was not the case as I had more idea of what was happening behind the counter than the guy who served us.
Upon showing signs of frustration at our prolonged wait we were told by a more senior member of staff that it was the people cooking the foods fault not the people serving it. Perhaps a more appropriate response would have been 'my apologies for the delay madam , have a free pickled onion'!!!

3  Thank Amy E