“A magical weekend”

Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Luton
London, United Kingdom
“A magical weekend”
Reviewed 28 January 2011

I booked a two-day stay for my partner’s birthday and had a magical weekend. We stayed in the beautiful mansion house and were very impressed with the hotel and its grounds.

We arrived on Friday night and dined at the Wernher Restaurant. The meal was excellent and contained some lovely culinary surprises. The service was outstanding, apart from one slightly inappropriate, but quite funny, comment from our waiter (‘it must be that time of the month,’ in response to my apologies for getting some red sauce on the white table cloth). **To this day, we’re still not 100 per cent sure that this is what was said!** We rounded off the evening listening to the magnificent grand piano while enjoying a post-dinner drink in the relaxing lounging area.

Saturday daytime was spent exploring the grounds by bike (the bikes were pretty ropey, but good fun) and walking round the lake (beware the stinging nettles!). We also had a couple of games of tennis on the outdoor court, which was good fun. On the second night we dined at the Adam’s Brasserie, which was much less formal, but just as lovely, and rounded off the evening with a game of snooker.

We finally found time to visit the swimming pool and sauna on the Sunday morning. The place was spotlessly clean.

All in all, it was a fantastic weekend and I highly recommend the hotel. The setting is beautiful and the hotel staff friendly and helpful. We felt truly pampered.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
MLong8001, General Manager at Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, 15 April 2011
Dear Reviewer

We were delighted to read such positive feedback following your weekend at Luton Hoo in September. Our staff continually strive to surpass our guests’ expectations and it is pleasing to note we appear to have done so on this occasion.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future when you can be assured of our continued personal service.

Matthew Long

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Turkish first
london
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I searched Trip advisor Luton area restaurants, as I wanted to place my review there as we only dined at the hotel. And I do not think it is fair to review the whole hotel based on the restaurant. However, having said that based on my visit to the Adam's Brassiere I would not recommend neither the restaurant or the hotel.

Hospitality to me is based primarily on two things service and the food. Service, what service !, slow poorly trained staff, not really interested in the guests, zero effort.

The wine was poorly served and kept, and the food was appalling. My main course steak was the worst served to me in any restaurant ever. Overcooked but cold, dry and tough and no taste. Sides equally appalling, especially the mushroom.

Surrounding’s, for a newish hotel dated and warn. Poorly laid out room.

I wanted to deduct from the bill, but rather than causing a scene felt it best to leave. I was taught the customer always wins, because they don't return and they tell their friends and family. Well I certainly won't return . Nor should you.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank ukboi
MLong8001, General Manager at Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, 3 February 2011
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on TripAdvisor.

Having recently read some glowing reports, I am dismayed at your comments relating to both the service afforded to yourself and the quality of food. I would dearly like to discuss your disappointment, if you would be kind enough to let me have a telephone number. In the meantime your feedback is being discussed in full with the Departmental Managers concerned, as clearly there has been a lack of attention to detail on this occasion, for which I offer my personal apologies.

Luton Hoo strives at all times to not only meet but surpass our guests’ expectations and feedback of any nature, whether it be positive or negative is essential in this respect.

I look forward to speaking with you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2011

We stayed at Luton hoo as a birthday present for my wife. From the moment we arrived we were spoilt by all the staff at the hotel. The lobby is a amazing – a vast high ceiling, stylish sofas and antiques, grand pieces of art and sculpture, fireplaces and huge arrangements of fresh flowers. Every member of staff were polite, quick and efficient. The rooms were large (staying in the main house) with every convenient luxury at hand. The best part of the trip was breakfast and evening dinner – this was served in supreme luxury with everything you could think of being available. We also had several spa treatments which were also really good and made us feel relaxed and ready for Monday morning. For a place to go and spoil yourself and treat each other think of no other place. 5 star at its best. Thank you

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

I was delighted to read your review and thank you for taking the time.

The staff at Luton Hoo strive at all times to meet our guests’ expectations and it is pleasing to note that these expectations seem to have been surpassed. We trust we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future occasion when you can be assured of our continued personal attention.

With kind regards,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2011

We booked this hotel as a last minute break between Christmas and New Year and then read the reviews, wrong way round we know! We were a little apprehensive after what we had read but would like to say, don't believe everything that you read. The experience was wonderful from start to finish. The doormen were extremely pleasant and helpful as were the reception staff and even though there were delays in the restaurant at breakfast the staff were always apologetic and greeted us with a smile. The food was excellent in the main restaurant and we could not fault it. Although the hotel is large it has a wonderful intimate feeling with many beautiful rooms to "lounge" in. Steeped in history and wonderful grounds to walk in we had a very enjoyable stay. PS Our dog loved the experience too and we were so impressed that her dinner was brought to the room at her chosen time every evening!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MandS44
MLong8001, General Manager at Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, 9 January 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your positive review. We pride ourselves on the high level of service and hospitality. It is most pleasing to read your experience was wonderful from start to finish. The team at Luton Hoo are delighted that they surpassed your expectations and that your dog also enjoyed our extensive grounds and her evening meal.

I hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you all on a future occasion when you can be assured of our continued personal attention.

Yours sincerely,

Hertfordshire
Reviewed 22 December 2010

This is possibly one of the finest Hotels in the country with the best possible facilities but the staff are for the most part incompetant unhelpful and the food in both restaraunts is grim , the eggs at breakfast would happily "bounce" and the food in both main eateries was tired to put it bluntly
Despite several complaints to the management at no time did the GM show his face or respond
Avoid at all costs untill reviews show improvement

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank fivestarconnoisseur
MLong8001, General Manager at Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, 26 December 2010
Dear Reviewer

I was delighted to read your description of Luton Hoo as “one of the finest hotels in the country”, but of course perturbed to read that you felt the service was unsatisfactory.

It is indeed unfortunate that you have not identified yourself to me personally, as I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns. I can assure you that I place the greatest importance on all guest feedback and will always use this constructively.

Yours sincerely,

Bushey UK
Reviewed 21 December 2010

We visited Luton Hoo for afternoon tea. The grounds were covered in snow, but the long carriage drive was clear and we were able to park a few yards from the entrance doors. Staff were immediately on hand to open them and take our coats, making us feel welcome and comfortable. We had our tea in a grand room overlooking the grounds, brightly lit by several chandeliers which were reflected in massive glass paneled doors at either end. The staff were helpful and attentive, offering refills of tea or coffee. There were ample sandwiches, pastries, and scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream - all absolutely fresh and quite delicious. A box was provided to take home leftovers. We have had similar teas at top London hotels, but for value, ambience, and surroundings Luton Hoo is hard to beat.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank johnzina
MLong8001, General Manager at Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, 5 January 2011
Dear Reviewer

It was a pleasure to read your review and note how much your family enjoyed Afternoon Tea here at Luton Hoo. Our staff are always delighted to know that our guests’ expectations have been surpassed. I trust we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you on a future occasion when you can be assured of our continual personal attention.

Kind regards

Norfolk, uk
Reviewed 14 December 2010

Like many others I too fell foul of the LACK of a Mini Bar Tariif BUT had items ADDED to my bill that were not used. A full refund was recieved but only after having ti forward my complaints directly to the General Manager. - Not other comments have been recieved to date. Here is a copy of my email

I am contacting you reference my recent stay in Room 027 in the Mansion House on Wednesday 10th November 2010.

My main reason for contacting you on my return home is the incorrect charges made on my bill that I had not previously noticed.

I dispute: Check#26928 Mixed Nuts at £5.00 - These were not eaten/taken

Check#26933 Tonic Water at £1.10 - This also was not used.

I can only presume that the suite, booked under the Aston Martin Corporate Rate, had a system in place to 'log' items that MAY have been removed from the fridge even if replaced. If this is the case then I am extremely disappointed that this is not made clearer to guests. I had looked though your guest literature that is in the room but at no point did I see mention of the In Room charges for any items in the fridge and, wrongly, assumed that it was complimentary within the room costs. Perhaps this charge error could be checked with your Housekeeping records and corrected.

Unfortunately I also have several other, seemingly minor, issues that I would not have pursued if this overcharge had not come to light but when added all up were very disappointing for a five star establishment.

Firstly, when I booked the Suite I had requested an Email confirmation of rates etc and the availability of a 2pm late check -out. This was never received and when I rang on Tuesday to chase this up I was given the details verbally and was made to feel that the Email confirmation was not necessary - However I feel it was and was virtually refused.

Upon arrival on Wednesday evening, at approx 5.45pm in very wet and windy conditions, no offer of assistance with my luggage was given by the single Porter on duty who was on his mobile phone and acknowledged us only with a passing 'nod'. I am also carrying an ankle injury which made my progress up the entrance stairs and into the Reception rather slow giving him plenty of time to offer assistance.

Your reception staff were highly efficient and quickly processed Check-In, showing us to the room with the offer of help with our luggage. Our evening meal taken in the Adams Brasserie was also to the standards I expected.

We decided to take Breakfast in the Suite and placed the order outside the room at approx 11.45pm, requesting service between 9.00 and 9.30am. I heard a noise outside the room at around 8.00am and saw the order taken off the outside door handle. Breakfast arrived at around 9.35/9.40. At which point were we asked when the order had been put outside as it had not been collected overnight. The Porter informed me that He had seen it himself whilst serving another clients room. Had I been intending an earlier service then this too would have disappointed me with the seeming lack of correct procedures been followed.

Upon leaving the Hotel, approx 11.30 - not 2.00pm as I had intended due to poor weather, our bags had been left in obvious view just inside the front door whilst I checked out. We once again slowly made our own way outside into the appalling weather this time past TWO Porters, one of whom actually managed to close the door for me as I was struggling to close it while negotiating the stairs and carrying my own bag, but at no point did either of them offer any assistance to my vehicle which was in the second row of cars in the main car park.

Upon reflection each of theses items seem quite minor. However this culminated in a level of service falling far short of the standards I would expect.

I look forward to receiving credit for the items not taken from the Mini Bar and your comments on the above

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer

Following your email in November and since my letter to you of the 29th November, I am pleased to advise that in addition to the Mini Bar Tariff displayed on the back of our Room Service Menu, and in response to your feedback, an additional Mini Bar Tariff is now on display next to the Mini Bar in every room.

I felt I had addressed all of your concerns in my letter; however should you wish to discuss these further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Matthew Long
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luton
Sopwell House
Icon Hotel Luton
#4 of 25 in Luton
Holiday Inn Luton - South M1, Jct 9
Hilton Garden Inn Luton North

Been to Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!