“WARNING: Value your personal safety? Don't stay here!”
Review of Cambridge Hotel

Cambridge Hotel
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Huddersfield
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed at the Cambridge Hotel last weekend for a 10 year University Reunion. On arrival, parched and carrying lots of bags, the receptionist failed to give us any information about how to get to our room, when the bar/restaurant was open etc.
We were booked into room 28 (next to our fellow alumni at the reunion), and entered the room to find other hotel guests' belongings - a man and a woman's outfits hanging in the wardrobe, a handbag and bottle of champagne on the desk, and holdalls full of their belongings! I phoned reception from the room and he asked us to come back downstairs. After about 20 minutes of incompetent hotel staff squabbling over a computer screen, unable to work out where we were supposed to be and who was already checked in to room 28, we were allocated room 90. Flustered and now concerned for our personal safety and security of our luggage, we were shown to the new room. The member of staff gave us a key card and said he would return with another key card. He never returned, so we made our way back downstairs to ask for it. On our way back to reception we realised the key card he had given us did not have a '90' sticker on, it had 'M' - HE HAD GIVEN US THE MASTER KEY! We tried a couple of doors randomly, and were able to open them. So not only had they first given us access to another guests' room and valuables, they then gave us access to ALL hotel guests' rooms and valuables!! We were now extremely concerned and asked to speak with the manager. But it was "the manager's day off", so he refused to speak to me over the phone when the receptionist was relaying what had happened to us, and said he would stay until 11am the following morning to speak to me. Not only was the customer service from the manager appalling, there was NO other senior member of staff present at the hotel! It seemed that no one there really cared about what had happened. We were left, two women, to spend an evening feeling vulnerable in our room, knowing that reception staff hand out keys willy-nilly to guests that could possibly be dangerous criminals.
The morning after, the hotel manager came to our room to speak to us. He didn't ask us to his office or a private area, he had the discussion in a corridor in full sight and ear shot of all other hotel guests. His concept of customer service is terrible. After we explained the series of events, he made poor excuses such as "we can't give you a full refund because we're a family run business and our profit margins are very low", and "some of the things you are saying are making me feel bad, come on now" !!???!! I was left feeling distressed and upset. I understand that there is always human error, and the key card incident may have been a one off, but the way that the situation was dealt with was not good enough. The hotel manager and his staff need a 'customer service 101' training course or something. And there should ALWAYS be at least one senior member of staff available to deal with complaints and situations such as this.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank beefoasis
Mohammed S, Owner at Cambridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Hello Amy

First of all, I am sorry to read that you left our hotel feeling unhappy with our services and I apologise for the distress you may have experienced as a result. Whilst we always endeavour to provide quality customer service, we are very disappointed to learn our service fell short of your expectations on this occasion.
The mistakes which were made should have not been made but they are attributable, simply, to human error. When you informed reception of placing you in a room which was already occupied, they worked quickly to try and place you in another room. Once you were placed in your room, the only reason you were given a master card was so that you could settle in your room and was purely for your convenience whilst a new card was issued. However, I agree that this should not have happened and the staff involved have been adequately reprimanded.
Furthermore, your request for compensation was understandable, but your demand for a £100 bottle of champagne and a full refund for the room on Saturday evening, unfortunately, did not meet our criteria to warrant such a gesture of goodwill under these circumstances.
When our manager spoke with you in the morning, it was to offer you our sincerest apologies, a considerable discount for your room and also to include breakfast for you and all your friends who stayed with us on this occasion. However, you would not accept anything less than a full refund and you stated that if we did not comply, then you as a journalist would be writing a poor review which we found threatening and completely unnecessary. The manager could see that you were still unhappy and at that point felt he had exhausted all options of reconciliation and could offer nothing more to appease you.
This is a very rare occurrence at the Cambridge Hotel and we can assure you, we do not hand out our cards "willy-nilly" and the safety of our customers is of the up most importance to us.
An honest mistake was made on our part and for that I sincerely apologise and we hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stumbled upon this hotel on a general search on the internet whilst looking for hotels in Huddersfield. Normally I'm looking for a hotel within a chain e.g Holiday Inn or Premier Inn but couldn't find anything close to the City Centre. I'm normally put off by what looks like smaller run hotels but I couldn't have been further from that with finding the Cambridge Hotel. I'll admit, I did my research including the surrounding area & reviews on here. Based on the reviews on here we booked. The hotel website wouldn't process my payment so I e-mailed the hotel who immediately responded saying they would make their web maintenance aware and asked me to call them to arrange the booking. As I was at work it was easier for me to book online which I managed to do through Expedia.co.uk for the same price. The hotel was easy to find, yes it is on a hill but it's near to the bottom & certainly easy enough to walk up to the hotel. The free car park is a major plus. The hotel itself is thoroughly clean throughout, looks as though it has had a major refurbishment recently, everything looks new. The decor is pleasant, the beds are huge, the staff are very helpful & attentive. Our price included breakfast which was cooked fresh plus a buffet for cereal, drinks, croissants etc. The hotel is walking distance into town (about 15 mins) or a taxi costs £3. Would absolutely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jack J
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Lovely hotel, spotlessly clean and very nice attentive staff. Good car park and handy to have a fridge in the room. Excellent shower and the breakfast offered a good selection and very well organised.

Kelly Brogan

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kelly B
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

This is one of those rare hotels: one that is very reasonable in price,provides very good service, and is only a 7 minute walk from town. The room was upgraded and the staff were friendly.
My only quibble with this hotel is the bedsheets were very scratchy on my skin. That said it's the only thing I can comet up with to criticise on a very good one night stay.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank DTURNER300
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Having stayed at several places in Huddersfield over the years, the Cambridge is by far the best. Seven or eight minutes walk from the railway station (plus plenty of space for car parking) and you are assured of an attentive and friendly welcome with bags carried to room. Rooms modern, comfortable, spotlessly clean and airy. Splendid breakfasts too.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter R
Reviewed 20 August 2013

When I say it is a terriers hop, walk, and skip to town, I mean it. On Google maps I thought this place was close, it wasn't. The area walking around isn't the best, if you are on foot. They did have the best breakfast I'd say out of all the places I stayed at. One thing I must say, this isn't good for the elderly, a massive hill you have to walk up and down to the hotel, it is on a hill.
I do recommend going there for happy hr at the bar, friendly bar tenders there.
If you can stay actually in the town center, do it, if not, and all else fails, then go here I guess.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I spent a night at this hotel with my family and the service was faultless. The rooms were excellent very clean and nicely furnished, lots of car parking all with CCTV monitored from reception.

This hotel was good value for money, breakfast was great with a good choice. We were a little late in getting there due to a late night but there was still plenty of freshly cooked food, good fresh fruit and a fruit salad.

I had a flat tyre when I came to leave and staff leaving after their shift offered to help change it, no need as my husband had it in hand, but the offer was a nice touch.

I would recommend this hotel to any of my friends and family.

Room Tip: The family room we had easily and comfortably sleeps 5