“Excellent Value for Money”
Review of Cambridge Hotel

Cambridge Hotel
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Huddersfield
Reading, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value for Money”
Reviewed 19 November 2010

A clean and tidy hotel offering bed and breakfast. Whilst the decor is fairly basic the room was clean and well aired (in our case a family room for three adults). We arrived late in the evening and were warmly welcomed.
Breakfast included the option of a full English.
On checkout we were welcome to leave our bags in the hotel store until later in the afternoon when we returned to collect. The staff were friemdly and helpful throughout.
Located within walking distance of the town centre and the railway station, but in a quiet road.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Wrexham
Reviewed 7 November 2010

We arrived just as it was getting dark and due to not having a sat nav, had a bit of difficulty finding the place. However, after phoning the chap at reception, we were provided with directions, which helped greatly. The place was a very short walk into town, just over 5 minutes to the train station.

The twin room was made up of a double bed and single bed, possibly a family room, and overlooked the carpark. The small bathroom was clean and the shower lovely and powerful.

Breakfast included cereal and a full English breakfast, cooked to order.All in all a clean and basic place to stay, very close to the centre of town. Great for a one night stay!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2010

First of all let me start with the positive points about this bed and breakfast. It is really close and ideally placed for anybody who wants to stay near the train station or have only a short walk into the centre of town. The rooms and dining area were basic but clean and always smelled lovely. The price of the room was decent especially when you consider that a full English breakfast was included in the price. Most of the staff were polite and attentive; however, this is where the review turns sour as the emphasis is on the word most. I should follow this statement up by saying I feel that I’m doing all but one member of staff a disservice as it was only a staff member who I presume was the manager who was basically downright rude. I made my booking over the phone three months prior to my stay; I gave my details over the phone, checked the price to make sure that I had been allotted the correct number of days and was perfectly happy with my reservation. In hindsight I should have rang before my arrival to check that the details were still correct, however, since the Lodge had taken money from my bank account as what I presumed was a deposit I thought all would be ok. On my arrival we were first seen to by a younger gentleman who was perfectly polite when he told us that he was unable to find our reservation, he called upon the help of an older gentleman and this is when the trouble began. The older gentleman was extremely rude, ignorant, condescending and arrogant. I could think of a few different choice words to describe him, however, since this is a page that is viewed by a wide variety of age ranges I don’t feel that speaking my full mind would be appropriate. This person then proceeded to inform me that I was wrong about everything, that I obviously was incorrect with my booking details, that even if I was right they would not take money from my card until my arrival and that I should “check my bank statement again” when I said that it was on there that I noticed the withdrawal. After a short while we were eventually allowed to check in for the two night stay that we wanted and paid for only one night (but we would have to pay for the next night the next day could I not produce my bank statement as proof of withdrawal, though how he expected me to do this two hours away from home and three months later I still do not know), the man “kindly” reminded me later on the way out (in order to go to the bank) that I should check my bank as he wouldn’t want me to waste money paying him and someone else ‘should’ I be wrong about where I had booked. I returned to reception the next day when the man was back on shift with a bank reading in hand to show that I had in fact been charged for one night’s stay with the money been taken from my account nine days after I made the booking. He could not dispute the facts then, once I produced this readout he miraculously found my booking and a receipt for the withdrawal from my account within fifteen minutes despite the fact that he had looked thoroughly the day before. He then haughtily informed me in a roundabout way that the confusion was all my fault, despite the fact that they had booked me in on the wrong day and month (for three months earlier than what I had wanted), the incorrect amount of days and made my reservation under the name of Mr instead of Miss. I responded by saying that this is not what I asked for over the phone so therefore it was not my fault, to which I was informed that there had been confusion on both sides (though I’m still not quite sure how there was any confusion on my side) and because they had charged me for my no-show three months earlier (when I would never have been there as this was the incorrect booking they had made not me) that he would give me the benefit of the doubt and allow me to stay for the second night without paying again (for which I am of course extremely grateful for- not!). By which point I was so annoyed I simply walked away without saying anything else as I simply did not want to look at this man anymore. As stated earlier I have no complaint with any other member of staff just the older gentleman who seemed to think that because he was dealing with three females under the age of thirty that he could treat and speak to us as if we had the IQ of newborn baby and in an extremely pompous manner, this is not what I personally call good customer service and it is because of this that I would most definitely think twice about booking into the Cambridge Lodge again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joanne121981
Leominster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Situated about 500 metres from the rail station this hotel is handy for central Huddersfield. The room was fairly well appointed with an ensuite shower and toilet.
However the room was overwarm and despite turning the radiator level to 0, keeping the window open on a cool night and throwing off the bedding I was uncomfortable and had a disturbed night.
Breakfast was good and the service was quick and attentive.
Reception was welcoming and my room was available at 12.30 though this may not always be the case.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank wjwrightLeominster
suffolk
Reviewed 21 September 2010

Stayed here for two nights on business, nice clean rooms with flat screen TV and fridge, tea making all included. More of a short stay hotel as no bar or restaurant, more like a travel lodge/motel. The staff are fantastic as nothing is too much trouble, if you need directions round the town they will print you a map, no problem. Wide selection of takeaway menus on front desk so i guess if you need to order in you can, and eat in the breakfast lounge. Friendly, clean and all in all, a very nicely priced and adequate hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
home
Reviewed 18 September 2010

enjoyed our few days again, hotel nice & clean, a good breakfast with plenty of choice, rooms good with a fridge etc, very handy. will not hesitate to stay again, looking forward to seeing the new hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Hotel is quite basic but the food is quite good. The room was a bit
grubby in places and in need of a lick of paint etc. Bathroom mat was
grubby, and the worst part for me was that the pillows had stains on
them (visable with the pillow case removed) I felt that I could not
use a pillow without a pillow liner on there for health and safety
reasons, so I took another pillow case off another pillow and used 2
pillow cases on one pillow. All the staff I saw where male so maybe
it’s a female touch that is required? No serviettes at breakfast, all
cutlery etc on a main table with the cereal so several trips are
required but the cooked breakfast is brought to your table – a bit
like a ‘transport café’. The staff are pleasant and not ‘in your
face’. I know it isn’t an expensive hotel, but I have stayed in
cheaper places and cleanliness is nothing to do with being basic in
provisions – cleanliness should be priority no matter how cheap the
room is. Towels were not changed enough and bed not made, as is
usually the case in hotels. I also suspect this establishment caters
for DSS bed and breakfast clientele so I wouldn’t recommend this place
other than a bed for the night and a breakfast. This is ideal for
travelling tradesmen who are working in the area and need a cheap
accommodation. Good Wi – fi which is free, and some satellite TV
available. The fridge in the room was an excellent idea for keeping
in milk and any food, water or snacks. The security is good with
24-hour attendance and CCTV in the hotel and car park. It would be an
idea to put a welcome pack in the rooms stating basic information ie
phone costs if using the hotel room phone etc. A little bit more care needed for cleanliness.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business