“Horrid Staff and service” 1 of 5 bubbles

Rose & Crown
Ranked #45 of 568 Restaurants in Huddersfield
Price range: US$12 - US$25
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Cheap Eats, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, View, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London
“Horrid Staff and service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I dont usually write negative reviews, but this place changed my mind.
My friends took me here for a quiet Sunday lunch, as it was the anniv of my Dad's passing they thought it would be a nice treat. What I was greeted with as soon as I entered was a stare-down by the bar man, who clearly made it clear I was not welcome. I can only assume it was because I was not the same colour as all the other clientelle. I tried to be agreeable as my friends meant well, but as we sat down to lunch we all realised we were being treated badly.
In this day and age, it shouldn't be this way.
As my friends had eaten here before, and recieved much better service, we could only conclude, that the differing factor had been me, and being a different colour.
I wish we hadn't stayed, as they put a harsher feel on an already difficult day. Avoid this 'family run' place, Not welcoming at all.
(Very sorry to the person who clicked "found the review helpful" I had to edit the original post.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank cellrone
RoseandCrownhd, Manager at Rose & Crown, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
I don't usually write negative responses, but this person changed my mind. Firstly after the horror that unfolded as I read these words on the page I immediately thought, what is this person talking about? a.) they have reviewed the wrong venue b.) it's the start of a bribe situation or c.) they need help. In 15 years of greeting and employing persons of every race and religion, background and ethnicity someone actually has the nerve to even mention the word racism. Possibly the most horrendous word in the whole of the English language, I am truly disgusted and sickened that our society has even come to this. What next, someone accuses us of ageism for asking them to produce identification at the bar, I blink funny because of a stray eyelash and a chap asks me if I am looking at him in a strange way because he has a bald head, it's damn ridiculous at the highest level. This is defamation based on assumption alone! I contacted the reviewer to ask for more specific details of the prejudge shown, date and time of visit, even a description of the pub to actually prove they ever visited in the first place, the response to my surprise, they reported us to TA for harassment. In this day and age it seems people are free to write what they like without backing up their comments, you should be held accountable in a court of law! It truly saddens me to think that one could even suggest racism based on nothing more than the way a person looks and suggest racism based on how a service is conducted, there is no specifics, isn't this an arena for genuine people to comment on food and experience, good or bad? That's fine, but politics is for a differing chat room. It's completely ludicrous as I am sure 99.9% of the people who read this disillusioned review will also feel. I have drawn a few assumptions of my own, this reviewer is simply the best psychologist I have never met. For someone so vague it's incredible how they are able to use applied psychology, interpret micro expressions, use the facial action coding system and body language to come to these results. In conclusion, this person is a scientific genius likely to be approached by MI5 if not already, or could they just be wasting my valuable minutes and everyone else's who has taken the time to read this garbage.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“disgusted”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

The food was very good, staff friendly & helpful, prices very as I expected, but I will not be going back.
I am disabled so there was no way could I use the ladies when I needed the loo,due to two flights of
stairs, when I asked about a disabled toilet I was told it was in the "gents" as I was desperate & with my friend on guard I ventured inside yuk! passed the urinals never again. How can they get away with this?
What would happen if the pub was really busy, can you imagine a lady using the cubical & a man entering!! dosn't bare thinking about.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank yvon01
RoseandCrownhd, Owner at Rose & Crown, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thank-you for your feedback.

There are future plans in force to try and resolve these issues, which we are fully aware can be an inconvenience to some people. I'm sure you can understand the financial implications of making large scale changes to a very old property are quite substantial and take time to implement.

Ultimately this is a structural issue for the property owner, so we find it slightly unfair that your comments are penalising the current business operators.

Thanks again for your visit.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Great variety”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Called for lunch on a nice spring day which was a bonus as the views from this hill top pub are stunning.The food matched the views and the landlord and his staff are very friendly.There is a good selection of dishes on the menu ranging from sandwiches to full meals.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank wilbert12
Yorkshire,England
“Very good food but needs to come out faster”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We booked a table for 5 after reading good reviews on Tripadvisor. On arrival we found good Car Parking and a Country Pub with lovely far reaching views. I had booked for 13.00, we arrived 5 minutes late but they had kept a good size table for our family of 5. We had plenty of space for our party in plesent surroundings and they were playing some decent background music not too loud. All the staff we met were friendly and made you feel welcome. The only let down was the fact that it took nearly an hour from making our order to the food reaching our table. They had plenty waiting staff in the Restaurant so I can only think the kitchen staff caused the hold up.
The food however was faultless and the choice for Main course and Desert was extensive even on a Sunday when many Pubs only offer Sunday Roast. I would have given 5 stars for food if the kitchen had sent out the food in a reasonable time frame.

• Visited April 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing everything. ........”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Amazing food...I had chicken wrapped in parma ham and my partner an 8oz steak burger and everything tasted fantastic....can't wait until next time.
Amazing service & very friendly staff
We will definitely be returning soon :)

1 Thank Oliver H