“You need a hearty appetite!”
Review of Rose & Crown

Rose & Crown
Ranked #48 of 514 Restaurants in Huddersfield
Price range: US$13 - US$27
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights and ate in the restaurant the first night as well as breakfast each morning. The food was lovely. For me the meal was far too much but then, I would rather it that way and be able to leave some than to come away still feeling hungry. I had fish, chips and mushy peas. The fish was cooked beautifully! My husband had chicken pie which I could smell he aroma of from across the table. He managed to each it all (no small feat). I had a glass of wine which was lovely and my husband had the local ale. Thank you for a lovely evening.

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Can get busy, they seem to do a lot of parties, receptions.
Great views across Colne Valley if sitting outside, weather permitting!
Service and atmosphere were both good, no airs and graces though. Landlord played happy birthday on a trumpet (badly) for a group celebrating, all done in good fun!
Food we had was good and no complaints about portion sizes. As in much of yorkshire the gravy is never in short supply, and as elsewhere a tad too salty for our liking.
Otherwise a great place for a family meal. Several decent beers too!. Most nights Tues to Fri have special meal deals.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

this is one of my locals and although not having eaten there, the food looks amazing and certainly the quality of service and atmosphere are fantastic

1  Thank Caroline S
Reviewed 16 July 2014

After reading reviews I took my mum,as we eat out regularly I thought I'd try somewhere different from our usual fantastic places.The Rose and Crown indeed is in a beautiful part of Huddersfield with breathtaking views but I'm afraid that is the only praise I have . The fish pie whilst very hot was mediocre my mum had the salmon with prawns which were over cooked ,the staff were miserable and gave the impression they would rather be somewhere else so no never again !

4  Thank Carolyn W
RoseandCrownhd, Owner at Rose & Crown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hi Carolyn

Thank you for taking the time to review us at the rose and crown, I am pleased you have voiced your opinion on here because it gives us a point of contact. We have weekly meetings with staff and management and discuss feedback on a day to day basis, your visit was brought to our attention before you posted online. Trip advisor is a platform for voicing opinion and although many people in the industry point out that reviews are disproportionate it is a fact we all have to live with. My point being that you suggested many fantastic places you have previously visited yet your first review on here is negative and pointed in our direction, maybe you should give these other eateries the recognition they deserve and spend a bit of time posting some constructive reviews on their pages, I know they would appreciate it.

There are two areas you have mentioned in the review and I would like to respond to both of these, firstly the fish pie is one of our best sellers, I am sorry it wasn't to your liking but we won't be reviewing the dish, it is one of the longest to cook on the menu and in most cases we warn guests of a 30 minute minimum wait on this dish as it is prepared to order using fresh ingredients and then needs time in the oven as it is quite a sizeable portion. The fish pie has been a part of our menu for 7 years and only changed marginally in this time and that is testament to the great feedback we have received. I can honestly count on one hand the number of times someone has complained about it.

Secondly, regarding the staff, we are not a chain restaurant, we are family run and always pride ourselves on a personal but non invasive approach to guests and try our level best to give the best possible service. It's not that staff are miserable, it's a human defence mechanism to be a little bit more standoffish with guests that a rude and unpleasant. This is the feedback we received from our team in relation to your visit and despite your 1* review the team that serviced your experience did receive a tip. Maybe we should put this towards our next stff outing and see if we can cheer everyone up a bit.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

It was really hot today do I decided to go for the Fisherman's Salad thinking that it would be a bit ligher. However, there was a veritable mountain of fish - smoked salmon, smoked tuna, loads of prawns and topped with two mega-king prawns. Lovely salad plus bread and butter. And also two pints of great Cop Hill Best. Wow, what a feast! Lovely....