“Disappointed regular customer!”

Ranked #115 of 514 Restaurants in Huddersfield
Price range: US$11 - US$79
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A stylish Cantonese Restaurant based in the heart of Honley village, near Huddersfield. An excellent and fine dining restaurant. Interior décor has to be seen. It's a little gem! Not to be confused with our sister restaurant in Huddersfield Town Centre (The Canton Chef, Huddersfield).
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We have been regular customers both eat in and take away for some time now. In fact we travel quite a distance because the quality of the food is usually good even though a bit more expensive than your average Chinese.
On Saturday evening we ordered a take away and told to pick it up in about 20 minutes ( usual time). We arrived to find the waiting area very full so standing room only. The time passed and passed so myself and several other customers asked what the problem was! Eventually we were told one of the fryers had broken and they were cooking both the full restaurant and the take away on one. I waited for well over an hour before I got the food. By this time several other customers were becoming very agitated. When I arrived home the order was WRONG!
Whilst understanding that things sometimes become faulty I feel the staff could have taken steps to minimise the problem . Firstly they could have told take away customers that there would be a longer wait ( they only started doing this as I left) when they ordered and also advised us when we arrived that there was a delay. Secondly a complimentary soft drink would have eased the wait especially as a lot of people were stood up and thirdly the right order when it arrived would have been good!

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Lovely restaurant with a great welcome. Eaten here many times now and we travel from the other side of Huddersfield as it's the best Chinese food we have found. Never been disappointed with our meal. Peking Crispy duck a favourite and the sizzling Cantonese style steak is really tender and tasty. Not the cheapest but the best.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Went to the Canton Chef as we facied chinese and did not want to go into town, this was my second visit to this restaurant and whilst I agree the restaurant is nicely decorated and the staff are very attentive I would say that the food we had was not the impressive experience you expect after reading the reviews above!! Yes it was nice and yes it tasted fresh but isn't that what you should get when you pay money for food? In my opinion charging £5.20 for 4 small frozen vegetable spring rolls and £9.50 for an average chicken dish is very over the odds when usually you pay about £6.50 to £7 in similar places, it was not that good. £5 for side noodles??? Now the staff are very nice and attentive if a little too attentive, I don't know if it is because it was quite and they had nothing to do but, three people to take you to your table fussing over you, putting napkins on your lap, constantly refilling your glasses and even serving the rice onto your plate (thanks I can do it myself!!!) to me it is a bit overbearing and keeps interrupting your conversation because if you do not acknowledge them it's rude... I would not say I won't go back ever again but it won't be in a hurry....

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We came here as 2 couples on a Saturday night for a special meal and we were not disappointed. We decided to go for the set menu, yes it is expensive but you get exactly what you would expect in terms of quality, quantity, choice and service. It was the same night as the Honley Fete and the restaurant was very quiet but there seemed to be a constant coming and going in terms of people getting takeaways. We were all very impressed with the high quality of the establishment in terms of décor and the very knowledgeable and polite staff who were very attentive to all our needs. In fact the staff were that eager to please when refilling the drinks glasses a gin & tonic was topped up with mineral water but this was promptly replaced once the mistake was pointed out much to the amusement of everyone.
The food was top notch, fresh, well cooked and very nicely presented and was more than adequate in terms of quantity,
As mentioned the food was excellent and we will definitely be returning to this establishment in the future as it is a top class restaurant there is nothing in the local area (Huddersfield) that is serving any Chinese meals of similar quality and in similar quality surroundings.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We have been searching for a good chinese restaurant for over a year since our long term favourite closed down. We have tried many in the area and been disappointed. Then we saw the Canton Chef on Trip Advisor and decided to travel the 10 miles to try it out. Best decision we have made for a long time. The decor is contemporary and clean, the owner, Roy, and staff
are attentive and friendly yet totally professional, and the food itself is fantastic. Will definitely be our new restaurant of choice when we want cantonese.