“Disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Huddersfield
Llandudno, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Old Golf house on several occasions and even been a couple of times for Sunday Lunch in the past. I have to say we were very disappointed when we stayed here last week. The Room was on the ground floor whilst it was adequate the bathroom was definitely in need of some TLC there was a large crack in the sink and the grouting needed a good clean. It was very difficult to open the secondary glazing and the paintwork round the window frame needed a good clean. The breakfast the following morning left much to be desired, it had obviously been necessary for all the ingredients to have had swimming lessons before been placed on a fat filled plate this was for my husband, I decided I would have an omelette and was asked what ingredients I would like I asked for tomatoes and onions. I think they must have cut the onion with a hacksaw as the pieces were so large and I had 3 pieces of tomato. When the waitress put the plate in front of me it looked as if it was a plate of vomit. It had been just thrown on the plate without any finesse. I know we should have complained at the time but we were so upset we just checked out.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Pauline D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Liskeard, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Only spent one night there as our original hotel in Halifax was over booked. A very pleasant hotel with a beautiful garden. You only hear the motorway when outside in the garden. We had one of the newly refurbished rooms which was very large. The window did not open but no problem with the temperature. Only had breakfast which was acceptable, the staff were pleasant but had to be chased up for tea & coffee. For the star rating and the price paid well recommended.

Room Tip: Possibly a room with an opening window away from the motorway
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

It was my cousins wedding and it was beautiful, the food was nice and the weather was perfect. Staff were helpful and polite. beds comfy, nice shower, only downside was our room had no aircon or the windows didnt open so i was soo hot. overall, absolutely beautiful:)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Molly M
Preston, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

We took the Internet saver deal and stayed here overnight on 28 June and were not disappointed despite previous reviews. The room was on the ground floor and was quite close to the M62 but we were not disturbed by the noise. We were welcomed on arrival and we found our room pleasantly furnished and comfortable. There was a wedding party in so we decided against sitting in the bar and went downstairs for dinner. We had a 3 course meal on our deal. I had the lamb and purposely asked it for it well done as one of the reviews said it was chewy. I found it delicious. My husband had the steak which he said was very nice. Although there was a large coach party in we were served very quickly and were even given some complimentary bucks fizz. The bathroom could do with a facelift but there was plenty of hot water and a decent shower. Breakfast was self service and we found it very good. All in all we were very happy with our stay and would recommend it to anyone. Sadly they don't have shower rooms or I would have taken my disabled parents. Thanks to all the staff for a lovely stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

i stayed here mid week and as usual parking and booking in were smooth. Free WiFi which worked well, but you need to register. this was not easy as I had registered before and could not remember the pass words. Trying to turn on the TV i run my hand over the top to find the on switch, all I found was dust. I ate out so cannot comment on the dining here. at 10.30 the bar was unmanned and the receptionist had to come to the bar and serve. Breakfast was served quite fast but the quality of the food left much to be desired.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank brianwNorthants
Selby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

I suppose it's my own fault, I should have listened to my gut instinct when I 'phoned to book and the woman who took my call seemed to be distracted by some obviously humorous conversation my call was interrupting. Perhaps I should have listened to the alarm bells when she told me the booking system was down and she would e-mail my reservation confirmation. Then didn't. Still off we went and in we booked. Another clue should have been the large car park with about nine cars, possibly some of which were staff. We had a ground floor room, which had a most interesting window set-up! The net curtain was sandwiched between the external window and internal secondary glazing. Worryingly the external window was solid, and would not have provided an escape route in case if fire. The room itself was very dusty and after the initial double-take at the spider in the bath, we realised it was in fact a large black chip in the enamel. We sat at a window table for Dinner, where I observed that although the lawn was nicely cut, there was rubbish underneath the shrubbery which was obviously never checked. The meal was okay apart from the lamb which was very tough. Next morning we went down to the Dining Room for Breakfast passing Reception where we did not even receive a "Good Morning". The initial table we sat at was wobbly beyond belief! The one we moved to was little better and the young waitress told us that they were all the same as they only had a central leg and they usually put beer mats etc under to stop the wobbling. Breakfast was awful. The bacon was fatty and the sausages inedible. The menu offered croissants and pastries but there were none to be seen. Fed up we packed up and went to Reception to book out. The woman took our key and said "That's it then" no, "Did you enjoy your stay?" Or "Thanks for staying" or "Have a nice day!" All in all absolutely dreadfully disappointing. Got the impression that they don't give two hoots about their paying guests. Stay away folks!

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Julie D
bonby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

We were at the Hotel for a Family Wedding over the weekend of 20th/21st April. The day was absolutely wonderful. The Staff at the hotel were polite, attentive and helpful. The food was excellent and served hot along with all the plates and dishes that needed to be. The quality of the food was excellent and it was well cooked. The Bar Staff worked hard as the evening got busier and the alcohol flowed! The rooms were comfortable and spotlessly clean. I had been at the Hotel before with my Partner for an Xmas Party with my Colleagues which again was excellent and we couldn't fault anything. If you are looking for a local Wedding venue then I would advise and recommend you to at least go and look at the Old Golf House. If you choose to hold your special days function/reception here then I would suggest you would not be disapointed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family