“Worst Staff in Huddersfield”

The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Huddersfield
Reviewed 20 February 2011

This was the worst hotel I have ever been to. The staff were so rude and unfriendly standing there whispering. The rooms are disgusting the windows do not open. The rooms need decorating. Horrible place and horrible staff to go with it!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank slou0899

Reviewed 8 February 2011

We were visiting our pregnant daughter and son in law and our daughter went into labour while we were there. The staff at the hotel were brilliant, moving us into a family room so that our grandson could stay with us while she was in hospital. Nothing was a problem for them and it was all done with a cheery smile. Even offered the new dad a sausage sandwich when he came over to collect our grandson. Made a stressful weekend so much better - thank you.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Stayed for a couple of weeks for a business meeting.

Decor for conference rooms and bedrooms very tired and a little tatty. Had to move from one room as a blind was missing and sunlight too bright for the screen. Staff friendly enough but service lacking e.g. coffee was late a few times and sometimes evening meal took close to an hour to arrive after ordering. Both the conference rooms we used had a clock that didnt work. Not difficult to fix, but probably summarises the way the hotel is managed.

The hotel seems often to take coachloads of old folks touring the local area. Maybe not the best background for a business meeting.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank MrTR4
Reviewed 1 August 2010

we stayed at the ojd golf house for 3 nights in july, the food and staff were great, had special deal which was well worth it.
the staff were very good jill and andrew were excellent.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2010

I'm don't normally look for much with a hotel, so long as it's clean, reasonably quiet and I'm treated well, then I'm happy. However this place appalled me so much I've been driven to write a review for the first time in my life.

I attended a wedding at the Old Golf House in June, and I have to say I've never, ever witnessed such unprofessional, ignorant and downright unfriendly people running a hotel.

The service itself was run well enough, a quiet family event. The problems started straight after - no drinks prepared until all the guests were outside, so they were left on the table to get warm. When we asked whether drinks were avaialable, we were told to go and get them from the table inside.

The wedding meal started on time, but ended up running almost 45 mins late, mainly because it took 30 mins to serve around 25 guests. The first to be served had finished before the last had even got any food. We were served one glass of wine at the start, and despite frequently asking for water, staff would disappear and not come back. I went to the bar to try and buy some drinks, but there was no-one there... they were all 'serving' the food.

When we finished we went through to the lounge. There were 5 members of hotel staff sat watching the television, and the head waitress actually had to ask them all to move to allow the guests to sit down. Incredible.

However, the best (worst) was yet to come. The evening buffet was served and ran out within 15 minutes, with half of the guests still without any food. There was nothing difficult - sausage rolls, sandwiches, chips and a bit of salad, yet there was no more brought out.

The following morning I was woken early, not by guests, but by the hotel staff shouting instructions to one another down the corridor. Having asked them to be quiet, we were then woken on another occasion (still before 8:30am) by the staff actually entering the room and saying "when will it be ready to clean."

I left a review card giving my contact details, inviting them to contact me to discuss how they could improve their customer service - of course I haven't heard form them.

Such a shame, because the hotel itself is in a nice enough setting (if you don't mind the motorway), and the rooms are OK enough, nothing special. I do think it's overpriced, but as I said at the start, I'm not looking for much.

The staff always make or break a hotel, and for that reason I would warn everyone off booking this place.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Reviewer_2010_1234
Reviewed 21 July 2010

I attended a wedding here in July. The ceremony was fantastic, food was great too. However the side that let it down badly were the rooms & the staff. Considering how much the rooms are I expected them to be a lot more modern and to at least have air conditioning!! I've stayed in hotels far cheaper than this one where the facilities were much better. The beds were really hard and very uncomfortable. The overall decor of the rooms was poor and very old fashioned. It seemed to me that the whole place could do with updating.

Regarding the service of the staff, for the most part they were great. The one bizarre thing though was that if you wanted to carry on driking after 12.30am, you had to hand over your hotel number or debit card, no cash was to be taken after 12.30am. I was a little cynical about this, as who knows what they can remember the morning after, and you end up with a drinks bill that you can't even remember running up.

My biggest gripe though was that one of the guests were asked to leave at 10.30pm as they were not staying over!!!!!!!! This was absolutely shocking. They had decided to drive home rather than staying, but had every intention of staying later than 10.30pm. In the end they left as they didn't want to make a fuss and upset the bridge & groom.

Overall I wouldn't be in a rush to go back to this hotel.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SunbathersSheffield
Reviewed 1 July 2010

I have used this hotel in the past for various meetings. This time when I tried to book I spoke to an extremely rood member of staff who actually told me to book elsewhere!!! Unbelievable.!!!! Certainly wont be using this hotel again

Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business