“A bit tired...”

Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Huddersfield
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed here as a couple as part of a wedding group, had high expectations from the website but unfortunately the rooms did not match up to this. The wedding itself went very smoothly and the lady running the wedding was extremely efficient and I know the bride and groom had a great day. The views are second to none.
Our main problem was with the bedroom, we were given a room over the front of the hotel which was wonderful for the view but not a lot else. We had a four poster bed in our room, which you would think is great, however, we had not requested this, and as over 6 foot tall it was incredibly uncomfortable as I could not fit in! It was also of poor quality with a lot of scratches and scrapes along the wood. The furniture was mismatched and didn't seem to go. Not even a hairdryer in the room (which I thought was included). Black mould on the blind in the bathroom didn't go down too well with me either! Even if a hotel is dated, I don't mind as long as it is clean!!

Walking around the corridors the hallways could do with a hoover!
The service was wonderful and with a smile, this cannot be faulted however the hotel is severely let down by the state of the place. It all just felt a bit run down, could have done with some modernisation and a bit of cleaning!!

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor tended to have better views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JimBob2302
rsdeckers, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear JimBob2302,

I am sorry to hear that your room was not as expected, and that the four poster bed was not appropriate for you, we would have gladly changed rooms for you if you had advised us at the time. I am also very sorry to hear that the cleanliness in your room was not up to standard either. This is not acceptable and has been raised with our housekeeping team.

We have recently appointed an Accommodation Manager who will ensure that all rooms and public areas are up to our usual high standard, and I apologise that this was not the case during your stay with us. We will also be carrying out a thorough check of all rooms to ensure that any faults are quickly put right.

Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention. I do hope my response assures you that we do respond to all feedback received and if we have disappointed in any way, that we do our utmost to put this right.

I am really pleased to hear that you were well looked after by our team and I do hope that we can welcome you again to Pennine Manor soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We booked this hotel as we were attending a wedding nearby and this seemed the best option of a limited choice.
The staff were really friendly, at checkout remembering everything we had said the day before. We didn't have dinner at the hotel, but breakfast was good, tasty and lots to choose from (not what I was expecting given the decor of the hotel). Chef prepared to cook eggs specially right at the end of the breakfast time for another guest at a table nearby which I thought was good of him.
It was nice and quiet in the room, with a view of the helipad and countryside (not as glamorous as it sounds..). However the hotel itself is very tired looking, slightly musty smell and burn holes in the bedside light lampshades which looked as though they were from the 1970s. One of the towels was ripped with holes and the bathroom suite was very old fashioned and that, with the blanket on the bed, made my skin creep a little!
And finally breakfast finishes too early on Sunday - 9.30am?!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Loubird123,

Thank you for your review of Pennine Manor and I am glad to hear that our team were friendly and looked after you well, although I am sorry to hear that your room had a slight musty smell, with damage to the lampshade and towel. Our reception team would have been happy to replace the towel for you.

We will check our stock and ensure that all items are of our usual high standard and also ensure that thorough room checks are carried out as frequently as they should be.

The style of the hotel is traditional country, which we feel does suit both the surroundings and the style of the building itself. We have recently appointed an Accommodation Manager who will fully inspect all rooms and corridors, and arrange for any issues raised to be resolved.

Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention. I hope that my reply assures you that we do take on board any feedback received from our guests and I hope that we can welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed at this wonderful hotel 4 times now and it is still as good as ever. The location is lovely and quiet with plenty of parking. We stayed on a sleep and dine offer with evening meal, bed and breakfast. The rooms are a bit tired but you only sleep in them! The food is fabulous, the quality that you would get in a top restaurant. The staff, especially Mandy the Manager, are exceptional. Nothing is too much trouble. We stayed as a party of 8 and there was a wedding on at the time but they made us feel special and really looked after us. I will definitely be staying there again. It is a hidden gem

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
rsdeckers, Owner at Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Silgrim

Thank you for taking the time to review Pennine Manor and I am delighted to hear that you found the hotel to be wonderful and you were well looked after by our team. The Sleep & Dine offer certainly offers good value and it's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I have passed on your kind comments to Mandy and her team. It is always a pleasure to welcome regular guests and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Oh dear. Stayed here on the last day of 4 consecutive days in different hotels on a business trip. We already knew the area quite well but had not been to this hotel before. On driving up to it it looked everything you want of a quiet country hill sitting on top of the moors with amazing views. After check in we had to leave quite quickly for nearby Holmfirth, and again there were amazing views - we thought this is going to be the place to relax after a busy week.

How wrong can you be? When we got back just before midnight there was loud music coming from a wedding party, loud enough to hear before even getting out of the car. Being romantic types we thought that it would not last long and our own wedding 46 years ago was probably noisy for then. Got changed and into bed full of goodwill towards the lucky couple, snuggled down and then could hear the constant chatter of people who are "in drink" outside the window. The hotel in their wisdom had put a table outside for the benefit of their smoking guests and the inebriated chatter went on until well past 1 am interspersed with wedding guests who were not staying getting into their cars, slamming doors and driving off. The chatter eventually finished around 1.30 am and the door banging continued until about the same time.

What sort of professional hotel manager would put guests who were not attending a wedding in rooms that would be affected by the noise of the wedding and of the revelry afterwards. I know we could have got dressed and asked to be moved to a different room, but any manager with a minimum level of commonsense would not have sited guests in this way.

One other problem was that when we arrived at midnight and went into the bathroom, it smelt like an open sewer. We had to open windows which let more sound in from the wedding. Might explain why there were so many deodorant devices plugged into power points in hallway.

Had we been on holiday trip none of this would have mattered, but the hotel was chosen because potentially it was in a quiet setting. Rooms were also very small.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a wedding on, and dont go there if there is
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Grahambute
rsdeckers, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Dear Grahambute,

Thank you for your review and I am extremely sorry to hear of your experience when staying at Pennine Manor. I understand your frustration entirely with the noise levels and can advise that we have discussed making improvements in selecting appropriate rooms for guests with the reception team and our new Accommodation Manager, especially when there is a function in the hotel.

Had our reception team been aware of the disturbance that you were experiencing, we would have been able to talk to the guests involved, as this does usually resolve any late night noise related issues. I am also sorry to hear that there was an issue with the bathroom. I can confirm that this has been passed to our maintenance team and I apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

I am grateful that you have brought this issue to our attention and so that we can ensure that all guests are offered appropriate rooms.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Situated on top of the Pennines not too far from the M62 lies this Country style traditional Inn style hotel. Very traditional, very friendly staff, my room was VERY small, breakfast was nice with amazing hill top views and horses outside the window.. Dinner was quite so good, I didnt eat the fish, but they took it off the bill. I enjoyed my stay in this traditional comfortable if not a bit dated hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room with a view of the Pennines, sizes do vary...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
rsdeckers, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Dear Tony

Thank you for taking the time to review the Pennine Manor Hotel and I am really pleased to hear that you found the staff to be friendly and that your breakfast was nice. I am sorry to hear that you found your fish to be disappointing and I understand that this was resolved to your satisfaction at the time. I appreciate your comments regarding the size of the room and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

We are lucky with the location of Pennine Manor, with such fantastic views over the Pennines. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that we can welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

We have just had our wedding at Pennine Manor on 7th September 2013 and I must say what a fantastic venue. There was a little upset before the proceedings a fews weeks before. However if everything run smooth it wouldn't be as exciting! The hotel staff on the day couldn't do enough for us, everything was placed just right even down to the finer detail which just finished it off perfect.

The food on the day was OUTSTANDING really nice all red hot and fresh. Not one of our guests had a bad word to say about the venue/staff or food everything was excellent. (This is 85 guests)

The hotel is is in an excellent location with some outstanding views over the valley. We were lucky to have the nice weather for our day which made it perfect.

The rooms are very simple but comfortable and they have everything you need which is all you can ask for in my eyes.

The Resident DJ was great, played everything we wanted and was very accommodating with requests which was good as kids wanted every song under the sun.

Overall we had a fantastic day and couldn't have asked for anymore from Pennine Manor.

We would highly recommend this venue to anyone who is looking at wedding venues for there up coming wedding.

Thank you to Mandy and Julie you were brilliant on the day and we couldn't have asked for anything more. And thank you to all staff at the hotel.

Dave and Julie Clay

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dave C

Dear Dave and Julie,

Thank you for taking the time to review Pennine Manor and congratulations on your recent wedding. I am delighted to hear that our team looked after you so well on the day and everything was perfect for you both. The chefs are thrilled to hear that you found the food to be outstanding!

We are lucky with the location of Pennine Manor, in the summer and in good weather, the views are amazing and the hotel can look extremely dramatic in winter! I have passed your kind comments to our team, especially Mandy and Julie, and to our resident DJ too. I do hope that we can welcome you to Pennine Manor again soon.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Yes folks its nearly that time again when you book your New Years Eve celebrations. Well stop right there!!!!! This is an honest review of our last years celebrations at the Pennine Manor Hotel. I was very, yes VERY disappointed with the overall evening. The room was barely decorated apart from a few balloons on each table and a sprinkling of glitter on the table cloth!!!! I have seen more effort at a 5 year olds birthday party than the Hotel made this supposedly night of the year. The buffet was minimal and the organisation of this was shocking, we waited nearly an hour after being escorted into the drab room to be served any food. The party games were more befitting to a stag do! than a new years eve party - DRINKING THE FASTEST OUT OF A BABYS BOTTLE!! does not in my eyes come under the heading of party games. The DJ - well it would have been better if they had left the party goers in charge to put CD's on of there choice, he had no more idea of how to get a party going than my mum. I am sorry to have to write this so late, but its now that people will be looking for venues for the biggest night of the year and I want to make sure that no one else wastes there night or money.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank HTFCHuddersfield

Dear HTFCHuddersfield,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We seek feedback on our festive events each year so we can make changes and improve what we do year on year. This year we have the party buffet just on one floor with party games. We have already vetted the line-up of games for this year’s event and we are sure that everyone will enjoy them and there will be no organised drinking games, although we are advised that the baby feeding bottles did not contain alcohol. Downstairs we have a full black tie dinner dance to welcome in the new year.

New decorations are being supplied so both rooms will be suitably decorated.