“One night stay”

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Huddersfield
NORTH YORKSHIRE
“One night stay”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Booked a one night stay whilst visiting family in the area.Decided to dine at the hotel. There was a wedding function ongoing and despite the staff being very busy they managed to give us personal attention. The staff apologised for the fact we could not dine in the restaurant and the noise which actually did not bother us at all, but they found us a nice table in the bar area and gave us a complimentary bottle of wine. All the staff at the hotel could not do enough for us, probably the best service in any hotel we have stayed at in the UK. The food was first class, both the evening meal and the breakfast which catered for every choice.My wife now wants a bed and pillows like the one in our room, so comfortable, a really good nights sleep. And of course, the location, spectacular views. We have previously stayed at other hotels in the area but Pennine Manor is now our first choice. Looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
rsdeckers, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear greekisles4me,

Thank you for taking the time to review Pennine Manor and I am really pleased to hear that you were well looked after by our team, especially during such a busy evening! I have passed your kind comments to Mandy and her team and look forward to your next visit. If your next visit is on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night, we do have a Sleep & Dine offer which is excellent value.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Turkish first
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

What can I say! Mandy is an amazing woman and helped us arrange our special day.
I can not fault this establishment it's set in a lovely rural setting beautiful views.
The food was amazing and we had an evening meal and breakfast. The food was fresh and handed to us to a high standard.
The staff were really friendly and couldn't do enough for us

Thanks for a good time we will be back and also look forward to our wedding 28th Feb

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew M
Dear Andrew M,

Thank you for your review of Pennine Manor and I am delighted to hear that our team were so friendly and that your meals were to a high standard. It's fantastic to hear that you'll be having your wedding with us and I'm really looking forward to welcoming you on your special day.
Suffolk
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is the first time that I have written a poor review - it's taken me a few weeks to build up to this after our stay in August. We booked the 6 rooms for a family reunion way back in Feb/March. We were checked in promptly, and was looking forward to meeting up with the rest of our party arriving throughout the evening, as well as some local family in the bar for a drink and a meal later. At around 7pm we headed to the bar looking forward to r & r after our long journey. All the tables in the bar had reserved on them - not one seat was unaccounted for! We asked the bar man what was happening and his suggestion, albeit muttered apologetically, was to try somewhere else. They were catering for a wedding party. Hang on! we're talking Friday night, 7pm - and there's 12 of us? He suggested the Golcar Lily - no chance of a table there ++ our party was arriving at different times throughout the night and just wanted a drink and a bar meal. We were told there may be a table come free after 9.00pm - no good for some of us, hungry and tired after long journeys. We pleaded for some food - maybe delivered to the room, eat in reception? Although the staff were polite, the answer was no. Some of our party did eat at 10pm that night - and we eventually all met up in the bar later. There is no excuse for not letting me know there was no restaurant or bar available beforehand - this hotel is situated in a fairly remote situation and a drive away from any other bars/pubs etc., (we ended up with a selection of indian takeaway from the Co-op in Golcar). The next day the hotel accommodated us in the restaurant (which we had pre booked) - we were the only party in there as they were also catering for a wedding, again using their bar area and an upstairs event room. The wedding had a disco and lots of the guests were staying over - this looked a lovely event if you'd been part of it. Again, there is no excuse for the hotel not to pre warn us - there was considerable noise from merry making and disco - I couldn't believe they would take bookings from other guests when the hotel was really taken over by the wedding! It was around 1.00am before the hotel fell into peacefulness. With many of the guests from the hotel staying for breakfast on Sunday it was a bun fight in the restaurant. The yoghurts were out of date - there were queues waiting for bacon to be brought out - no chance of anything cooked to order. Some of the younger members of staff appeared in awe of the amount of guests and seemed to be hanging around whilst the management team appeared to have all hands on deck. We waited nearly 10 minutes to check out - I think everyone was helping out with breakfast. So, a little more honesty would have been in order - there won't be a next time for us as I feel badly let down, particularly on the Friday night. Badly done Pennine Manor, badly done.

Room Tip: Check if the hotel is taken over by a wedding before you go!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank SuffolkYorki
rsdeckers, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear SuffolkYorki

Thank you for your review of Pennine Manor and I am extremely sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. I have discussed your complaint with the Hotel Manager and can advise that our team did ask if you would like to book a table for the Friday evening on arrival, however we were advised that as the party were arriving at different times, this would not be needed. When we were asked for a table later in the evening, unfortunately, we were fully booked by this point.

We do make every effort to allocate rooms as far away from the function suite for guests who are not attending the function and I am extremely sorry if this didn't happen during your stay. We have recently appointed an Accommodation Manager at the hotel who will ensure that all guests are given appropriate rooms.

I am also sorry to hear of your experience at breakfast. We do have rigorous stock control when it comes to best before dates on our yoghurts and I apologise if some out of date yogurts were on display. Breakfast can get very busy when the hotel is full, and we do allocate 2.5 to 3 hours to allow all our guests to enjoy our breakfast. Although the breakfast isn't cooked directly to order, we do replenish all breakfast items regularly to ensure that they are freshly cooked.

Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention. All feedback is greatly appreciated and I would again like to offer my most sincere apologies that the experience was not to your satisfaction.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed here as a couple as part of a wedding group, had high expectations from the website but unfortunately the rooms did not match up to this. The wedding itself went very smoothly and the lady running the wedding was extremely efficient and I know the bride and groom had a great day. The views are second to none.
Our main problem was with the bedroom, we were given a room over the front of the hotel which was wonderful for the view but not a lot else. We had a four poster bed in our room, which you would think is great, however, we had not requested this, and as over 6 foot tall it was incredibly uncomfortable as I could not fit in! It was also of poor quality with a lot of scratches and scrapes along the wood. The furniture was mismatched and didn't seem to go. Not even a hairdryer in the room (which I thought was included). Black mould on the blind in the bathroom didn't go down too well with me either! Even if a hotel is dated, I don't mind as long as it is clean!!

Walking around the corridors the hallways could do with a hoover!
The service was wonderful and with a smile, this cannot be faulted however the hotel is severely let down by the state of the place. It all just felt a bit run down, could have done with some modernisation and a bit of cleaning!!

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor tended to have better views.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JimBob2302
rsdeckers, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear JimBob2302,

I am sorry to hear that your room was not as expected, and that the four poster bed was not appropriate for you, we would have gladly changed rooms for you if you had advised us at the time. I am also very sorry to hear that the cleanliness in your room was not up to standard either. This is not acceptable and has been raised with our housekeeping team.

We have recently appointed an Accommodation Manager who will ensure that all rooms and public areas are up to our usual high standard, and I apologise that this was not the case during your stay with us. We will also be carrying out a thorough check of all rooms to ensure that any faults are quickly put right.

Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention. I do hope my response assures you that we do respond to all feedback received and if we have disappointed in any way, that we do our utmost to put this right.

I am really pleased to hear that you were well looked after by our team and I do hope that we can welcome you again to Pennine Manor soon.
Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We booked this hotel as we were attending a wedding nearby and this seemed the best option of a limited choice.
The staff were really friendly, at checkout remembering everything we had said the day before. We didn't have dinner at the hotel, but breakfast was good, tasty and lots to choose from (not what I was expecting given the decor of the hotel). Chef prepared to cook eggs specially right at the end of the breakfast time for another guest at a table nearby which I thought was good of him.
It was nice and quiet in the room, with a view of the helipad and countryside (not as glamorous as it sounds..). However the hotel itself is very tired looking, slightly musty smell and burn holes in the bedside light lampshades which looked as though they were from the 1970s. One of the towels was ripped with holes and the bathroom suite was very old fashioned and that, with the blanket on the bed, made my skin creep a little!
And finally breakfast finishes too early on Sunday - 9.30am?!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Loubird123,

Thank you for your review of Pennine Manor and I am glad to hear that our team were friendly and looked after you well, although I am sorry to hear that your room had a slight musty smell, with damage to the lampshade and towel. Our reception team would have been happy to replace the towel for you.

We will check our stock and ensure that all items are of our usual high standard and also ensure that thorough room checks are carried out as frequently as they should be.

The style of the hotel is traditional country, which we feel does suit both the surroundings and the style of the building itself. We have recently appointed an Accommodation Manager who will fully inspect all rooms and corridors, and arrange for any issues raised to be resolved.

Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention. I hope that my reply assures you that we do take on board any feedback received from our guests and I hope that we can welcome you again soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed at this wonderful hotel 4 times now and it is still as good as ever. The location is lovely and quiet with plenty of parking. We stayed on a sleep and dine offer with evening meal, bed and breakfast. The rooms are a bit tired but you only sleep in them! The food is fabulous, the quality that you would get in a top restaurant. The staff, especially Mandy the Manager, are exceptional. Nothing is too much trouble. We stayed as a party of 8 and there was a wedding on at the time but they made us feel special and really looked after us. I will definitely be staying there again. It is a hidden gem

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
rsdeckers, Owner at Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear Silgrim

Thank you for taking the time to review Pennine Manor and I am delighted to hear that you found the hotel to be wonderful and you were well looked after by our team. The Sleep & Dine offer certainly offers good value and it's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I have passed on your kind comments to Mandy and her team. It is always a pleasure to welcome regular guests and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Oh dear. Stayed here on the last day of 4 consecutive days in different hotels on a business trip. We already knew the area quite well but had not been to this hotel before. On driving up to it it looked everything you want of a quiet country hill sitting on top of the moors with amazing views. After check in we had to leave quite quickly for nearby Holmfirth, and again there were amazing views - we thought this is going to be the place to relax after a busy week.

How wrong can you be? When we got back just before midnight there was loud music coming from a wedding party, loud enough to hear before even getting out of the car. Being romantic types we thought that it would not last long and our own wedding 46 years ago was probably noisy for then. Got changed and into bed full of goodwill towards the lucky couple, snuggled down and then could hear the constant chatter of people who are "in drink" outside the window. The hotel in their wisdom had put a table outside for the benefit of their smoking guests and the inebriated chatter went on until well past 1 am interspersed with wedding guests who were not staying getting into their cars, slamming doors and driving off. The chatter eventually finished around 1.30 am and the door banging continued until about the same time.

What sort of professional hotel manager would put guests who were not attending a wedding in rooms that would be affected by the noise of the wedding and of the revelry afterwards. I know we could have got dressed and asked to be moved to a different room, but any manager with a minimum level of commonsense would not have sited guests in this way.

One other problem was that when we arrived at midnight and went into the bathroom, it smelt like an open sewer. We had to open windows which let more sound in from the wedding. Might explain why there were so many deodorant devices plugged into power points in hallway.

Had we been on holiday trip none of this would have mattered, but the hotel was chosen because potentially it was in a quiet setting. Rooms were also very small.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a wedding on, and dont go there if there is
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Grahambute
rsdeckers, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear Grahambute,

Thank you for your review and I am extremely sorry to hear of your experience when staying at Pennine Manor. I understand your frustration entirely with the noise levels and can advise that we have discussed making improvements in selecting appropriate rooms for guests with the reception team and our new Accommodation Manager, especially when there is a function in the hotel.

Had our reception team been aware of the disturbance that you were experiencing, we would have been able to talk to the guests involved, as this does usually resolve any late night noise related issues. I am also sorry to hear that there was an issue with the bathroom. I can confirm that this has been passed to our maintenance team and I apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

I am grateful that you have brought this issue to our attention and so that we can ensure that all guests are offered appropriate rooms.