“Nice view- shame about the manager”

Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Huddersfield
Reviewed 20 July 2010

After being slightly apprehensive regarding some of the bad reviews, I was won over by the good ones and decided to book a rather reasonable room as a surprise for my partners birthday. As we arrived, the views were breath taking, I was shocked to see a polite receptionist greet us (as some of the other reviews stated different!), we went to our room which was gorgeous on the ground floor with a nice view (I had paid the extra £10 due to the complaints regarding some pokey rooms)- it was a great start! We then headed to the bar for a nice cold rather expensive beer and was shown out to the back of the restaurant to a seated area once again with great views and horses for company! As we stood and took in the views, the smells emerging from the kitchen were mouth watering and made us even more excited for our dinner reservation!
So off we trot back to the room to get ready for the evening ‘birthday’ meal. The customer service from the waitresses was commendable, we was shown to our table offered drinks etc, the starter arrived, and although at first we was a little apprehensive (you was only allowed one starter in the 3 course meal offer) it was rather nice. We had ordered steaks for our main- our favourite! My partner has his medium and I have no blood! Then they come…. My well done was charcoaled and my partners was well done with not a drop of blood in sight! Eger to not cause a fuss and seeing as we had not eaten all day,(even though we then realised the couple to our right were in the process of sending their steaks back!) and initially not realising the tragic state of the steaks, the manager walked over asked if everything was ok and politely we agreed. Upon further investigation, we then found the above problems, not only were they over cooked, they tasted like braising steak! (this is the 10oz rump we had upgraded to for the extra £4 each) it was horrid, my partner was half way through his and I had managed a whole corner of mine (after taking 10 minutes to ‘slice’) when another waitress came over and asked if everything was ok, to which my partner replied, noting how upset at was at how this just felt like it was ruining his birthday surprise, stated that the steak was not the best etc, the waitress quickly offered to take the steak back and replace to which I stupidly replied it doesn’t matter now as my partner had basically finished and I didn’t want to be left eating on my own as we had plans! So I thanked her and off she popped. The manager then came to move the plates at the end of the ‘ordeal’ and once again asked if everything was ok, to which I replied, well to be honest no, it turned out… I was then interrupted with a tirade of ‘well you should have told me before, I did ask when it first came out etc’ to which I sat there in front of the quite full dining room and felt smaller than my fork! My mother has never spoken to me in that way let alone a manager of a hotel! I was disgusted, so not to cause any more of a scene and now completely ruined the birthday night; I walked outside for some ‘fresh air’. She then followed me outside to ‘apologise’ but continued with her little rant to the effect that I was completely in the wrong for not telling her two seconds after we received the meal!!!! She then left… other diners then came outside also for some ‘fresh air’ and proceeded to discuss the state of the steak that they too had encountered!! So it wasn’t just us and in addition, one of the men from a couple vomited after dinner! The only positive to this horrid dining experience was the waitresses, one who noticed how visibly upset I was and offered us deserts from the other menu and proceeded to place a candle in the top of the ice cream and sing happy birthday! We then went back to the room and realised we had been at dinner for around 3 hours!!! After a quick (unintentional) nap on the extremely comfy bed, we then realised it was two in the morning! But so not to waste the remainder of the time at the Pennine, we put our coats on and went to the helicopter landing pad where we sat and looked at the magnificent views for a while- it was lovely! Then… we tried getting back in as it had gone rather chilly, rang the bell like the manual told us too, no answer, tried again, no answer, rang the telephone, no answer, this continued for over 40 minutes as we stood and listened to the sound of drunken voices getting closer and closer… finally before we attempted the toilet window, an old man arrived who informed us that he cant hear from the back… well that’s ok then…!!! After this, breakfast was nice, nothing special, and we checked out and left, so after all that, I would like to thank the lovely receptionist, waitresses and bar staff for making our stay enjoyable and perhaps the rude obnoxious manager should stay in an office…

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ls98197

Reviewed 1 July 2010

The views from the hotel are stunning. The rooms are well decorated and comfortable. The price was reasonable. However the noise was unbelivable. We were not told that there was a function that evening when we checked in. Had we been told it would not have been such a shock when we were woken at 10.20 to the sound of a live band. Yes I know it was early, but we had an early start, a long walk and were very tired. They offered to move us, after the receptionist managed to hear me over the noise. But did we really want to get dressed, re pack and move? No. They did get the doors to the function room shut and that helped a little, but why, if there were rooms away from the function available, didn't they put us in there to begin with and people at the function in our room? Too logical, maybe?
The menu was good, but not for a vegetarian, just one choice, and breakfast was medochre. My advise, don't pay full price, and check when you get there if there is a function and whether your room is close to it.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2010

- gives great views north and east as far as York on the clearest evenings but the wind blows frequently and sitting out is a rare treat. Ask for a room on the upper floor facing north or east and a table by the windows. Book direct which is cheaper than agencies - it`s not a Best Western now. Ask about special deals, too. The numerous staff are helpful and friendly when that veil of uninterest lifts.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roger W
Reviewed 18 June 2010

Stayed here again and had a really good stay. Arrived late after meetings all day, and had a quiet and comfortable night in a room with a marvellous view. The evening meal was very good, and good value.
The breakfast was fine, although I felt sorry for the young lady waiting at table because she was very busy, however shee still mainteaned a very pleasent manner despite being so rushed.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2010

Booked this as a quiet getaway with my partner prior to my heading overseas with the Forces. Having read other reviews I was confident that we could expect a fairly good level of service but how wrong I was.

Friday evening - on checking in I asked for a newspaper on Saturday morning. I also enquired on the necessity to book a table for dinner and was assured this would not be necessary. At the bar some time later the barman also reassured me that we would be able to dine in the dining room without a reservation. This turned out to be WRONG! On entering the dining room the restaurant manager declared the room to be full even though there were a number of empty and unused tables available. She told us she would set up a table which she did. However, the table turned out to be hastily positioned in the corridor and was far from ideal given out intention of having a quiet, relaxing weekend away.
We opted to dine in the bar instead which was not what we planned and we were, by now, totally unsurprised to see one other diner in tears and demanding to speak with the manager due to the shocking level of "service" her party was receiving.
As soon as our meal had been served the interest of the bar/waiting staff evaporated and we were not offered any after dinner coffees or the opportunity to settle the bill. This may explain the most unwelcome phone call from reception later that night, long after we had gone to bed. Any query about my chosen method of payment could have been left until the next day or, had the staff at the time been at all interested, dealt with at the end of the meal.

Saturday morning - by 0830 the paper I had ordered had still not appeared. On enquiring at reception I found a stack of papers behind the desk. The duty receptionist told me that the papers essentially arrive when the person responsible can actually be bothered to deliver them. She was confused and unable to answer my question as to whether guests were expected to collect the paper themselves or should they have been left outside the room as with most quality hotels.

Saturday night - there was a wedding reception and, having heeded other advice on this website, we had requested a quiet room away from the function area. Unfortunately, the room we had was not quiet and we were disturbed late at night by continual door slamming by other guests. Although the hotel staff cannot legislate for thoughtless guest behaviour, the fact that the room doors have no closing devices is something well within their control. Please don't think I'm being precious here but picture frames were rattling on the wall and glasses bouncing on the shelves due to the slamming. Believe me, after half an hour of this at 1130pm it had become unbearable. The final straw was a group of guests returning to the room adjacent to ours for a party full of foul language all too clearly heard by us.
We had no choice but to check out at once and go elsewehere in the hope of getting some rest. Despite the claim of 24 hour reception we had to wait some time then go and find staff to allow us to check out. They were unable to process our account at the time due to insufficient system knowledge on the night shift.
We eventually escaped shortly after midnight and headed to a nearby Travelodge for a restful night sleep. Not exactly the 2 night stay we had booked.

The duty manager did telephone my partner 2 days later to express her concern but my partner was still too upset to speak to the hotel staff who had let us down so badly and said that we would address the issue in writing.

I wrote to the hotel manager on 25 April outlining the dreadful experience we'd had at the Pennine Manor. As yet I have heard nothing from the hotel other than an invoice for the one night's accommodation we were able to endure and the meal we had been forced to eat in the bar after being misled by poorly informed hotel staff. There has been no apology!
I accept that every hotel can have an off day. However, what sets the good hotels apart from the second rate also rans such as the Pennine Manor is the management's response to failures and their desire to treat customers well. In this case, the Pennine Manor mangement's complete antipathy nicely illustrates just why the rest of our experience there was so bitterly disappointing.

Take my advice - for the money they charge you can do a lot better!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WearyTraveller075
Reviewed 4 June 2010

Having been here for events before I was looking forward to a nice quiet break. To be fair, it was very quiet and the surrounding area is beautiful. This hotel is in serious need of a shake up. Although check out is at 11, I have just been invaded by housekeeping to clear my room and it is 9.05! Breakfast promised "hand made bread, cheese, cold meats, pastries, hand prepared fruits" none of which were available. If the squeezed juices hadnt come from a Tescos carton I will eat my hat! Toast came before cereal with one tiny carton of butter, and tomato sauce was miles away in a dish, you had to take to yr table then take back.so - breakfast was a non event. I had decided last night to eat in the hotel, and had pork in bacon, with a jacket potato and peas, four slices of a french stick with the obligatory one carton of butter and a glass of coke. The pear dessert was very nice, (see pics!) the rest was... satisfactory, the bill was £20!!!! There is a set meal, which includes a glass of wine, but as I dont drink wine and theres no alternative soft drink option (interesting as it is in the middle of nowhere so you have to drive to get there!) I had to pay for that on top. so in conclusion, the rooms were ok. ish. the food was ok. ish the location is spectacular. If I had spend the £100+ on the room that it was advertised on their own website, I would have been gutted. this is 2 star hotel with 4 star prices.As it is, will look elsewhere next time, a view eched by three other of the 13 guests in the whole hotel last night. Save this place quick before it sinks completely and gets turned into flats....!!!!! note to kitchen - dessert was fab, but, neverservet a dessert with a jug of cream on a flat slate... the cream goes all over the table!!!! aslo the spoon on slate sound is like nails down a blackboard... had to borrow a dish from the breakfast bar and decant onto that. was nicely presented though.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2009

We arrived about 8.30pm where we were promptly checked in. First impression was of a typical Yorkshire hotel very quaint. Reception staff were courteous and helpful. We stayed in room 22 which was ok. We were travelling with our 12yr old and had asked for an extra bed. It turned out to be a campbed which was probably the only thing you could fit in the room but had to pay an extra £20 which I thought was too much. Room was adequate but very hot! Bed was uncomfortable. Bathroom was fine but shower was not! We had to wait 20mins in restaurant for a table as they were really busy. Again staff were very friendly. Food was tasty and well presented. They had an offer on 2 meals for £22 which was really good value and even included a glass of wine!
Hotel was clean and was really good value for £50(plus £20 for extra bed).
Hotel even has its own helipad!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple