“Superb outside catering”
Review of Erics

Erics
Ranked #7 of 516 Restaurants in Huddersfield
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Thank you for an absolutely superb buffet. We were very very impressed with all of it, the food was sumptious, so fresh, and so well presented. Certainly a touch of class. Loved the proper crockery and cutlery and table cloths - so much nicer and classier and thoughtful. The effort and talent that had gone into it all was obvious. Eric most certainly deserves his reputation as the best chef for miles around. Head and shoulders above the rest. The staff at our venue said it was the best buffet they'd ever seen and the consensus of opinion from all our guests was phenomenal - 'awesome' was a popular word! Eric's staff worked so hard on the night and did a brilliant job. The attention to detail, the organisation, the food itself and the presentation made our special night so much more special. Amazing.

Eric P, Owner at Erics, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Our first review of our outside catering! How exciting!! I'm so happy to hear everything was great, we put as much effort into our service and food at catering events as we do in the restaurant so i'm really glad you've taken the time to write us up!

Looking forward to seeing you again in the restaurant... Or even catering another function for you?

Kindrest Regards,

Eric.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,634)

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Eric's is a high end restaurant with a menu to match. We were seated all lost straight away and ordered two fillet steaks. The steaks were excellent and the desserts were good afterwards. It's a small restaurant, but the attention to detail is what stands out.

Eric P, Owner at Erics, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

I'm really glad you enjoyed everything! It's nice of you to take time to write us a review.

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Four of us visited Eric's on Saturday night. We had not been previously and expected good things although many reviewers commented on less than perfect service. We booked for 8.15 and arrived on time to a busy and bustling bar. We were shown to our table in the upstairs area close to he top of the stairs. The restaurant manager was asking for our orders before we had even had the chance to read the menu - we felt rushed. Overall the initial impression was favourable - pleasant environment and a well appointed place. The starters were, I thought, a bit odd - the menu had a number of dishes which I would associate more with a main course than a starter - lamb shoulder and sea bass fillet, but I put it down to the place trying to be different. I had salmon which was OK. No wine list was offered so we had to request it. we ordered two bottles - one at £22 and one at £24, the maitre d' told me I had made a superb choice of sauvignon blanc and recently the whole menu had been rearranged around it - it was an average supermarket six quid wine, the cabernet was rough and poor. The starters came after half an hour (and so did the wine after we had asked for it). Then a long wait for our main course which appeared about 9.45. By this time the place was very full and the closeness of the tables meant that a four-way conversation was very difficult indeed, the place was very noisy and the ambience not as favourable as it had been - perhaps a table downstairs might be better as the upper area had a very high ceiling which seemed to exacerbate the noise. My wife had venison for the main course which she thought very good indeed and our friends had steak which they thought fine but their triple cooked chips arrived when they had almost finished their meat (and with no apology) along with the other side we had ordered which was left as we had finished our main course - this is unforgiveable and was when the wheels really started to come off. By now it was 10.15 - two hours and two courses in and we were given the dessert menu and fifteen minutes later asked for our choice, we ordered a mixed plate to share and pointed out that our taxi was due at 11 - then we said the same thing a further fifteen minutes later. We called the waitress and cancelled our dessert at 10.55 and it arrived a couple of minutes after that - far too late. We did not eat it and asked for the maitre d' wanting to point out that we thought that while the food was OK (and it was but it is not special - my 'creamy' mash was watery and we didn't even get the side dishes in time to try them) the service was dire. The staff just looked clueless and disorganised - any requests met with a 'rabbit in the headlights' look, no-one seemed to be in charge, there was no system apparent and you were served by whoever was passing at the time. By 11pm our friends were wanting to leave and not pay at all, they were so unhappy. The maitre d's excuse was that they had a new menu and the staff weren't used to it - well, sorry but practise on someone else please! To his credit, Eric came out and apologised and removed the drinks from our bill when we said how unhappy we had been, but he should never, ever have been in the situation where the customers feel that there is no communication between front of house and kitchen - an opinion he did not dispute. It's a nice place, the food is OK, but light years from a Michelin Star: whoever wrote that review!? However, the service is an amateurish disaster of well meaning, pleasant but untrained and disorganised youngsters who could do so much better with some direction and guidance. This would have been just one star if we had not had a substantial bill reduction to recognise the poor experience. So, I have to differ from Eric's many fans, this was not, for the four of us, a good experience and we are all of the view that you can dine in much better places in the area - sorry!

2  Thank Westyorkshireman_10
Eric P, Owner at Erics, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear Westyorkshireman_10

Let us approach this review one point at a time, as it is rather lengthy... and will receive and equally lengthy reply;

Firstly, you commented that the restaurant manager was asking for your orders before you had had chance to look at the menus. You were approached more than 5 minutes after being seated, this is ample time for the majority of our customers to order.. Most are ready in that time. As later in this review you state that your 2 hour stay in the restaurant was too slow, despite also feeling rushed... I find that a little strange.

Secondly, we are running a new A la Carte menu, seasonally focussed around Autumn. Indeed the starters are a little more complex than on previous menus, however the response so far has been overwhelmingly fantastic.

I apologise that you had to wait on the wine list, this is an oversight on our part.. A relatively minor one i’m sure you’d agree, but an oversight non the less, I hold up my hands to that.

Our restaurant manager Sam, though young in appearance is actually a good few years older and has quite extensive knowledge of wine. The St Claire Sauvignon Blanc that you selected from the white wine list is an absolutely stunning wine from Marlborough. If this was not to your taste then I’m afraid the issue is with you. It is one of our best sellers, comes recommended by our wine suppliers, is enjoyed by both my staff and myself AND has won the Sommelier Wine Award Gold Medal for 2012. If you can find this wine in a supermarket i’d be surprised, never mind at £6.

Next, I agree, the restaurant was a little loud on Saturday night, though not excessively so. If you’d have liked a table downstairs, had you simply asked, it could have been accommodated. Also, the sides arriving late to your table is something I must apologise for. As I explained on the evening, we did fall behind a little due to the new menu and this was a glitch, once again, I apologise.

Perhaps the service system we work by needs a little explaining; A waiter does not look after you all night, it simply doesn’t work for us. We have certain waiters with certain duties to perform across all tables during the evening, headed by the restaurant manager, who is quite clearly in charge as he wears a radically different coloured shirt for one! Had you had issues during the evening, perhaps you should have raised them to him as he passed your table many times and we could have settled the problems early.

I did indeed take the time to come to your table and knocked off the drinks from your bill in an attempt to calm a totally irate gentleman causing and unpleasant atmosphere for the rest of my customers. While at your table I also apologised for the delay in getting your sweet to the table on time for your taxi. Everyone makes mistakes, however the dessert you ordered was quite complex and does take time to put together on the best of nights.

We do have staff in training and we are running a new menu, this is unavoidable unfortunately. It must be practiced at some point. People can only learn on the job and the chefs can only learn with practice. This is a general point and applies across the trade... This brings me to my final and certainly most severe point...

Of the 220 people that dined in the restaurant across our tea party, early bird and A la Carte sittings on Saturday, the only complaints came from your table. We had a restaurant reviewer in at the same time as you who claimed that the experience was second to none in the area and that both him and his partner had had a wonderful evening. The table behind you were regulars who gave similar feedback and finally, the table adjacent to you were local restaurant owners who praised both mine and my restaurant managers patience at dealing with a ‘shockingly rude, totally embarrassing scene causer’. These customers further exclaimed that had your party been in their restaurant they would not have demonstrated the same restraint and would have evicted you from the building. If you glance at the reviews surrounding yours (also from our Saturday effort both outside catering and from the evening in question) you will find that they are highly praising.

Having learnt my trade in Michelin Star restaurants and having eaten in many, I am under no illusion that Eric’s fits the Michelin star system. That is not, nor has ever been what Eric’s is about. What my team and I are trying to do is to provide a great local restaurant to the people of Huddersfield and beyond, where local produce is served in an imaginative way. We love it when a new menu we’ve worked hard on is given to our customers - and we know they love it too. We have won many awards over the past few years which are a kind pat on the back which helps us know we are getting it right most of the time.

I have always listened to my customers and I always act on suggestions. Without my customers I know I have no restaurant. Instead of swearing at me and my staff, my restaurant manager and I would have listened to your complaints and tried to rectify them.

On a positive note, I am happy that you enjoyed the Venison and the Fillet Steak... Despite refusing to pay for that, or in fact anything, at first.

Having witnessed your attitude toward my staff, myself and my restaurant I find that perhaps a review of your attitude toward an admittedly slightly sub par evening is the issue here, not this establishment.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

What a fantastic evening from start to finish...
After receiving the new Christmas brochure for Erics restaurant it sent my taste buds fluttering to visit in anticipation of booking several evenings in December for both friends/ family and clients to impress...And wow will I be taking them there.
We booked Tuesday evening for the Saturday and with a bit of gentle shuffling got a table for 6pm as they were fully booked ( good sign).
From start to finish it was fantastic from SAMs cocktails to the efficient yet un-intrusive friendly service to the comprehensive wine list to the wonderful flavoursome fresh delicious food.I can see why so early in the evening clients were clambering for bookings.It was fully yet the atmosphere was relaxed and the general ambience enjoyable without being fussy.
Although this was the early bird booking the A la carte menu was available,which every dish had local suppliers and something to tempt everybody.
The service is impeccable a tribute to Sam who is relaxed and attentive and offering a seamless flowing service..the staff well trained,pleasant,smart and informative of the dishes and wines.
A visit into the restaurant from Eric himself was the Cherry on the cake..checking everything was ok for his guests,a nice touch ..I have been to many restaurants where the named chef wasn't even there for the prices paid.
You must go to Eric's...you'll love it and finally..A thanks to Picturesmiths for the mouth watering brochure which has started a love affair..

Eric P, Owner at Erics, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thank you so much for such a stunning review of my restaurant and its team. Both the kitchen staff and Sam send their thanks. You've truly put a smile on a few peoples faces...

We really look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Have just got home from having had an anniversary meal at Erics. First visit and have to say it was superb....not able to fault the place. Food and service was fantastic, simple as that really.

Eric P, Owner at Erics, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Amazing, thank you so much. I'm glad you enjoyed everything!

Kind Regards,