“Fantastic price, good food and great service” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Croppers Arms Residential Inn
Ranked #18 of 25 Huddersfield B&B and Inns
South Pacific
“Fantastic price, good food and great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

This was actually well recommended to me by locals after having a terrible experience at another hotel. I stayed for 7 nights in room 4 which was above the entrance on the main road side. The room was lovely, basic and simple. It was clean and had plenty of room to store my two suitcases. The drawers and wardrobe were basic but did the job! A full complimentary tray of tea and coffee and plenty of milk with a kettle was provided and refreshed daily. The bathroom was spacious and clean, with a bath and a shower. Plenty of fresh towels available too. The room has central heating which is on a timer. Although I stayed in most of the time (I had been travelling abroad for 6 months) they were more than willing to turn the heating on just for me. The bed was amazing! I have no idea what the seret is but I had the best nights sleep in a long time! Very comfortable indeed! Even though I was facing the road side the windows were double glazed and pretty much sound proof! I was impressed even with the heavy traffic. Although when they have deliveries at 7am I can hear abit of clanking around. They have a KFC just down the road and a coop opposite and a chemist a few doors down. Everything you could need in a stones throw. I must say though, the food is wonderful that they serve! They have specials every day and are very reasonable. It is pub grub, nothing too fancy but a good wholesome meal! ...I would recommend the owner put a basic menu in the room (So I could look and take my time choosing from the varied menu!). Even though I was a young woman staying in a pub I didn't at all feel intimidated. The locals were friendly and I even saw families dining at one point. Eating alone I was catered for by the team very well. Even when the pub is closed you do get a key to enter through a private door. I saw alot of negative feed back on here, which I would write off as either outdated or false. The price is fantastic for what it is. I even got a discount for staying so many nights. The only real negative factor is that it is not for those in a wheel chair or walking disabilties as the stairs are steep. Also, need to be clear when you arrive or you might have to wait for the pub to open when checking in!

It is about a mile or so from town centre, I would recommend the regular bus service which is every ten minutes or so from outside the pub it costs around 2.50 one way. Taxi costs around 5.00 which is directly opposite the pub.

The staff are genuine and friendly and will drop everything to help you with any enquiry you have. They even let you run up a tab on the room if your out of cash and fancy a quick pint before bed!

For the price it is a fantastic place to go if your just looking for a room.

Room Tip: room 4 was in a separate part of the corridor away from people passing through the night.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Guildford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

I have family in Oakes (on the edge of Huddersfield), and on most of my biannual visits they have booked me into The Croppers Arms. Having stayed here several times over the past decade it is about time I wrote a review.

First of all the pros. This is a very affordable Bed and Breakfast so staying here won't hit the wallet hard. In return, guests are offered decent rooms with comfortable beds (some single, some double), car parking around the back (albeit the designated Croppers Arms spaces could do with a new lick of paint and were barely visible during my last stay), clean towels, decent showers and televisions with plenty of channels (I have watched Match of the Day in a Croppers Arms room on numerous occasions!) There are also shops within a stone's throw of the building, including a handily located Coop on the other side of the road. Also worth mentioning is the nice camaraderie in the bar area.

The best thing about the Croppers for me will always be the food. The breakfasts are superb. Most guests tend to opt for the Full English to start the day, which I wholeheartily recommend. Main courses are also served here for a reasonable fee. I would thoroughly recommend the New York Chicken, it's wonderful.

There are however negatives. Minor quibbles of mine would be the sound of the traffic on the main road (bring earplugs, they are especially useful during the morning weekday rush hour if you are one of the fortunate individuals who do not have to get out of bed early), and the cheap bedside drawers which look like something I made in woodwork class when I was 13 (they're made out of wood and very cheap sheets of plastic). Additionally, be warned that the Croppers Arms is not located in Huddersfield town centre; it is a short bus ride (but a long walk) away from the latter.

Nevertheless, this place would garner four stars from me were it not for the fact that they have messed up our booking on more than the odd occasion. Twice before we have booked a room with two single beds, only to find ourselves being allocated a room with a double bed, which for me means sharing it with my dad! Worst of all however, on my last visit someone double booked the rooms we had reserved some time ago. The staff offered to ring around other hotels to be fair, but we opted instead to stay with my grandmother in Oakes because we were tired. The following night we did get the room we booked, but were only offered a £10 discount on our bill after all the inconvenience of the night before.

I still like this place and would recommend it but in doing so I would warn others about some of the less favourable experiences I've had here.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PhilFGuildford
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

One night stopover visiting friends, and for £45 B&B it was spot on.

The room was a good size and nicely decorated - much more design effort than I would have expected, although the housekeeper needs to be a bit more thorough round the edges. "Reception" is actually the pub bar, so check-in has to fit around pub hours unless you make a prior arrangement, but once you're checked-in there is 24 access to the accommodation, so no curfew!
Sadly, we had had a bit of a late one and couldn't quite face breakfast, but our friends were also staying here the same night and reported a good 2 courses (cereal to start followed by cooked).

Good value accommodation, but be aware - steep narrow stars up to the rooms so not necessarily suitable for all.

Room Tip: Room 2 is at the rear away from the road, also has direct access via the fire escape so easy to come...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Have stayed here several times now and have never been disappointed family and friends have also stayed we come here to visit our family, the quiz night the food the rooms the breakfasts the customers all fantastic all I can add is keep up the good work all the rooms are good they couldn't be more helpful, can't wait to return see you all soon

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank DawTyler
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

Clean, friendly and great breakfast would highly recommend. Excellent value for money.

Stayed here with my husband when moving our daughter at the end of her 2nd year at uni, will be returning in September when she moves in to her accommodation for her final year.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Sykers
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

The room I had was very basic but very clean and comfortable. I read the 'terrible' reviews on here and can tell you that they are out-dated. The inn is a little dated decor-wise but most places have had a spruce-up and at £30 I wasn't complaining at all. The sheets were soft, the towels were lovely (if a little small due to my being heavily pregnant). Considering last orders was 11.30 and I stayed on a Friday you really wouldn't have known it was a pub. Guests were quiet and well mannered- as were the staff. Breakfast was delicious, the cook will make whatever you want from a full english, although they had no fruit. The bath was lovely, plenty of hot hot water and the shower was powerful enough. If you want a hairdryer just ask. There are no views but the location is pretty good - only a decent walk or short drive/bus journey into town centre. A fellow guest said this place wasn't as nice as the Briar Court but that does cost more he conceeded.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo