“Excellent value for money”

The Croppers Arms Residential Inn
The Croppers Arms Residential Inn
Ranked #14 of 21 Huddersfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Nicely decorated rooms in a modern style. Room and bathroom both spotlessly clean. Comfortable bed with snuggly duvet, I had an excellent night's sleep. Breakfast was cooked to order and delicious. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay again when in Huddersfield.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back for a quiet night's sleep - I stayed in Room 2
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kim C

Reviewed 2 March 2014

The pub itself is a little out of the town centre and around a 15 minute walk into the middle of Huddersfield. Nothing too drastic though and about £4 in a taxi. The rooms were clean and the staff very friendly. The pub itself is nice if you want to pop down for a drink. Breakfast was very good and a hearty portion. A good stay and very good for the price you pay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrFishwicksGlasses
Reviewed 19 February 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Stayed with friends. All the staff were friendly and welcoming. The rooms are up a steep set of stairs some have bath with showers over others shower cubicle, plenty of hot water. They are nicely decorated with plenty of towels. TV and tea/coffee facilities in rooms. There is choice of food on the menu together with specials on a board all reasonably priced and decent portions. There is a room set aside as a restaurant or you can eat in the pub area which has three small rooms off the bar and enjoy the local atmosphere. Breakfast is good and consists of cereal/ cooked/ toast with fruit juice and tea/coffee. Large car park at the rear and free Wi Fi. Co op opposite for any forgotten essentials.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I stayed for 2 nights while visiting some friends in town. The room (and bathroom) was nice, spacious (for a single room) and clean. Breakfast was great as well, and the staff is very kind. It's a long walk from Huddersfield town to the Inn but fortunately there is a bus stop right in front of it, with buses every 15 minutes so couldn't be better.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank elvdurme
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This was actually well recommended to me by locals after having a terrible experience at another hotel. I stayed for 7 nights in room 4 which was above the entrance on the main road side. The room was lovely, basic and simple. It was clean and had plenty of room to store my two suitcases. The drawers and wardrobe were basic but did the job! A full complimentary tray of tea and coffee and plenty of milk with a kettle was provided and refreshed daily. The bathroom was spacious and clean, with a bath and a shower. Plenty of fresh towels available too. The room has central heating which is on a timer. Although I stayed in most of the time (I had been travelling abroad for 6 months) they were more than willing to turn the heating on just for me. The bed was amazing! I have no idea what the seret is but I had the best nights sleep in a long time! Very comfortable indeed! Even though I was facing the road side the windows were double glazed and pretty much sound proof! I was impressed even with the heavy traffic. Although when they have deliveries at 7am I can hear abit of clanking around. They have a KFC just down the road and a coop opposite and a chemist a few doors down. Everything you could need in a stones throw. I must say though, the food is wonderful that they serve! They have specials every day and are very reasonable. It is pub grub, nothing too fancy but a good wholesome meal! ...I would recommend the owner put a basic menu in the room (So I could look and take my time choosing from the varied menu!). Even though I was a young woman staying in a pub I didn't at all feel intimidated. The locals were friendly and I even saw families dining at one point. Eating alone I was catered for by the team very well. Even when the pub is closed you do get a key to enter through a private door. I saw alot of negative feed back on here, which I would write off as either outdated or false. The price is fantastic for what it is. I even got a discount for staying so many nights. The only real negative factor is that it is not for those in a wheel chair or walking disabilties as the stairs are steep. Also, need to be clear when you arrive or you might have to wait for the pub to open when checking in!

It is about a mile or so from town centre, I would recommend the regular bus service which is every ten minutes or so from outside the pub it costs around 2.50 one way. Taxi costs around 5.00 which is directly opposite the pub.

The staff are genuine and friendly and will drop everything to help you with any enquiry you have. They even let you run up a tab on the room if your out of cash and fancy a quick pint before bed!

For the price it is a fantastic place to go if your just looking for a room.

Room Tip: room 4 was in a separate part of the corridor away from people passing through the night.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I have family in Oakes (on the edge of Huddersfield), and on most of my biannual visits they have booked me into The Croppers Arms. Having stayed here several times over the past decade it is about time I wrote a review.

First of all the pros. This is a very affordable Bed and Breakfast so staying here won't hit the wallet hard. In return, guests are offered decent rooms with comfortable beds (some single, some double), car parking around the back (albeit the designated Croppers Arms spaces could do with a new lick of paint and were barely visible during my last stay), clean towels, decent showers and televisions with plenty of channels (I have watched Match of the Day in a Croppers Arms room on numerous occasions!) There are also shops within a stone's throw of the building, including a handily located Coop on the other side of the road. Also worth mentioning is the nice camaraderie in the bar area.

The best thing about the Croppers for me will always be the food. The breakfasts are superb. Most guests tend to opt for the Full English to start the day, which I wholeheartily recommend. Main courses are also served here for a reasonable fee. I would thoroughly recommend the New York Chicken, it's wonderful.

There are however negatives. Minor quibbles of mine would be the sound of the traffic on the main road (bring earplugs, they are especially useful during the morning weekday rush hour if you are one of the fortunate individuals who do not have to get out of bed early), and the cheap bedside drawers which look like something I made in woodwork class when I was 13 (they're made out of wood and very cheap sheets of plastic). Additionally, be warned that the Croppers Arms is not located in Huddersfield town centre; it is a short bus ride (but a long walk) away from the latter.

Nevertheless, this place would garner four stars from me were it not for the fact that they have messed up our booking on more than the odd occasion. Twice before we have booked a room with two single beds, only to find ourselves being allocated a room with a double bed, which for me means sharing it with my dad! Worst of all however, on my last visit someone double booked the rooms we had reserved some time ago. The staff offered to ring around other hotels to be fair, but we opted instead to stay with my grandmother in Oakes because we were tired. The following night we did get the room we booked, but were only offered a £10 discount on our bill after all the inconvenience of the night before.

I still like this place and would recommend it but in doing so I would warn others about some of the less favourable experiences I've had here.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family