“Excellent food - shame about toilets” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #385 of 568 Restaurants in Huddersfield
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Zeus Greek Cypriot Restaurant. Traditional food in a themed setting with Live Singing and Greek Dancing. A family business with a real Taverna feel. Come and enjoy a taste of Greece.
Huddersfield
“Excellent food – shame about toilets”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

Food was amazing, we ordered 22 dishes and none could be faulted. The lamb and feta was personally amazing and someone else stated that the pizza was better than any pizza they had eaten at an also very nice Italian restaurant. Following the meal we were given a bottle of Champaign as I was celebrating me getting a new job. Very impressed and happy with all service.
The only thing that is a letdown to experience is the toilets, these are so dated it was unbelievable, the hand dryer didn’t working the ladies and they had old metal ash trays stuck on the wall and had to ask for toilet roll, the men’s I am told were same dated deco, but clean and hand dryers worked.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank Jezz W

Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Attention to detail”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

We're mad fans of Greece; indeed we married there in 1998 and have visited every year ever since. For personal reasons we're unable to go this year so when we spotted this restaurant (on our way to somewhere else) we were excited to try it out.

Given Zeus seem to have a niche market in Huddersfield, the restaurant could be fabulous with a few minor weaks and some attention to detail. For example:

* Nikos (the entertainer) is great, but he doesn't need a drum machine. Traditional bouzoki music is good on its own and has much more impact.
* There was no Greek coffee ... in a Greek restaurant?? No sugar provided and when I did ask for some, I was given white sugar.
* Food - I don't think we had as good an experience as previous diners. Hardly any feta cheese in the Greek salad and no olive oil, herbs or red onion. Not a traditional Greek salad at all.
* Other dishes were a little disappointing.
* Smashing plates ... minor point, but do they really do this in Greece now? I think it's a bit dated.
* Dancing ... great for larger groups, parties etc. but need to clear away the table we were sitting at. We didn't mind, but some other diners might.

1 Thank LindiN
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“fantastic ! excellent evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

Just had the meat & fish meze what an excellent value well cooked fresh meal !
The staff were all very friendly and the owner could not do enough to make our evening fantastic.
we will definately be going back !
thank you all for a fantastic birthday !!!!

2 Thank emmscott
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Average food - not for me!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2011

The place has been nicely decorated , we arrived at 8pm for our booked table. Lots if choice on menu we went for meatballs and falafel to start and kleftico & seafood casserole for mains. To be fair my hubbie said meatballs and kleftico were good. Maybe I chose badly but falafel were tasteless, could pick up any spices to flavour them. Seafood casserole came with rice in a separate dish which is weird with a casserole. Prawns and salmon were nice, swordfish really tough and I left the mussels after I tried a couple but they didn't taste right (I love all seafood, so Im not a fussy eater!).
We ordered a bottle of sav blanc which was well chilled but tasted more chardonnary, very yellow, not so good.
Greek singer was live and he had a great voice, nice tough....until he started working the tables and trying to speak with everyone, felt a bit too in your face for me and when we left I felt like we could be heckled like a comedian does when someone leaves ! (he didn't though). Maybe this would be great for big parties but they need to realise there are other people there.
Am sure this is great for some but Ive had better, like Ciao Bella or Med One. It was ok, but wouldn't go back !

3 Thank Nicr74
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“The staff went out of their way to make our meal a special one...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

I arranged for a party of 14 to visit this newly opened greek restaurant for a birthday treat for my partner.. I hoped it was going to be worth the visit (around 10 miles away from where we live) and it definitely was.. I think parts of the restaurant itself and the toilets still need a bit of attention (having been newly owned) but the staff working on this day went out of their way to make our occasion a special one. I asked for balloons on the table and they were. The birthday 'boy' was given a free bottle of wine and the whole party were given another couple of bottles of wine and free shots to taste.. The restaurant wasn't actually supposed to be open at lunchtime on a Sunday (the booking was taken by mistake) but they opened specially so as not to let us down. I do believe they are planning to open sunday lunchtimes sometime in the future. The food was very good and plenty of it. Not sure if the 'waiter' who was there the whole time was the owner but he has a very good sense of humour and made our visit a pleasurable one. We shall return but he did say they were hoping to find a location in Wakefield at some point in the future (which is nearer to us). They are opening a new restaurant in Halifax in a few weeks and we wish them the best of luck :-)

1 Thank joyg1969