“Not recommended”

Ranked #386 of 572 Restaurants in Huddersfield
Price range: US$5 - US$26
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Zeus Greek Cypriot Restaurant. Traditional food in a themed setting with Live Singing and Greek Dancing. A family business with a real Taverna feel. Come and enjoy a taste of Greece.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Not recommended”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

Rang to make booking - had to send text. No confirmation reply so had to ring back and make booking. Claimed my Text was not received?
Arrived for 5.05pm and heavily tattooed Greek guy mopping floor in his vest.
He asked "what do you want?" Informed him we had a booking for 5pm "sit anywhere" was his reply as he continued mopping.
Put his shirt on and without washing hands started his waiter duties - bring us a menu stating £11.95 starter, main meal and drink included.
After a further 5 minutes the lights, music went on!
Asked if we wanted a drink and given the options of larger, fresh orange or apple juice. Took the order served out drinks then continued mopping!
Then there was a period were we just sat as he had a cigarrette at the door.
Starter - order mixed up so 2 of us ate seperately to third person.
Small bland portions, no frills or presentation.
Main meal of risotto looked like slop (and tasted like super noodles!)
Waiter came with 3 plates and instead of asking who which meal was for - said to my dining friend "take the plate"! Cutlery dirty.
The persistant smoking by the cleaning/waiter/only member of staff visible was annoying. Certainly not attentive, hygienic (as he kept spraying himself as he re-entered the restaurant).
The final straw was the bill....
£11.95 each x 3 plus the drinks were charged at £1.80 x 2 and £3.
We paid up believing we had misheard and each of us in the group of 3 not wanting to embarrass the other, complaining or being negative.
On exit - we clearly saw a hand written sign stating the £11.95 meal with a free soft drink included.
As their was zilch atmosphere, dreadful service, questions about the hygiene, bland slopped out portions then having been over charged - I would certainly not recommend this place!
PS Raging Runs this morning - need I say more?

2 Thank Jax C

Yorkshire
“Delicious food. Well worth a try”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

Four of us enjoyed a selection of starters: hallumi; fallafel; olives & hummus - all delicious. The mains didn't disappoint either. The service was very friendly. It's nice to have a taste of Greece locally and all at a reasonable price.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
“worst resturant i have ever been too”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

went to zues with a large party,my firdt course was hallumi cheese not luvley and golden brown like in greece,but charcoaled to where it tasted burnt,on a cold plate with one mouthful of salad,the home made carrot chutney was out of a jar and had not seen a carrot.other people had the four dip selection to share this had only two dips and shop brought pitta bread.the olives were just poured out the bottle in brine,no olive oil,and no bread at the table like you get in greek resturants.the next course was just as bad,i had lamb skewer,this was not marinated just stuck on the skewer,some of the lamb tasted strong like it had been sitting around in the kitchen too long ,the plate again was cold so my rice was cold and dry and gaggy.then the worst i went down to the toilets,the toilet seat was hanging off,the hand dryer was non existant,and there were bare wires coming out the wall with a tiny piece of masking tape round it and no hand towels.then my husband went to the gents and the urinals were overflowing in the basement were the kitchen is.after our sweet which was shop brought my sister in law asked for some perno,they did not have any they said it was not deliverd,i think along with diet cke that they did not have either,the only saving grace was that the waiter felt so bad about it he went to the pub across the road and came back with a glass of coke for me.maybe the owner had not paid the supplier.i also agree with another comment health and hygiene would have a field day at this resturant.

1 Thank PIPO36
“Total nightmare”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

We booked a table for three and we arrived at 20.10 the table was not ready, we got our starter and I thought I was getting king prawns but it was butterfly king prawns with eyes and legs everywhere when I complained the waiter just smiled. I then got my main and the lamb was hard and chewy my sisters chicken was tasteless and unseasoned, at the same time we had little flies trying to drink the horrible tasting wine, when we complained again the waiter took the plates and never came back. After 20 min we asked for the bill and when it arrived it was not totalled so we had to do it our selves. Not happy very expensive and tasteless food, service not very good oh and the waiter said I could have some yogourt sauce with my meal but then charged me 3.95 for it.

2 Thank becky45831
Carlisle
“Bags of potential”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

Some good flavours going down here and the sense that with a suitable extra effort the food could fly. Service needs a little more colour and zing... with better communication skills by the team; I ask myself would I go again and I'm not sure; Greek food needs a bit of drama and life and ambience not yet transporting the Greek sunshine; but, with a freshening up of vision and creativity on top of the basics it could propel itself from OK to great.

• Visited December 2012