“Food with a view” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Scape House

The Scape House
Ranked #15 of 568 Restaurants in Huddersfield
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene, View, Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Mirfield
“Food with a view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

I returned to the Scape House after what must be at least 15 years since my last visit. I was not surprised to find that the interior had completely changes in the intervening years.
We arrived before 6:30 hoping to take advantage of the 'early bird' menu only to discover that it now finished at 6.00, which is a little early in my book. But we need not have feared the landlord was more than happy to supply the food from the 'early bird' menu.
The food, although not fancy was good. Well presented and hot. There were 4 of us and the food bill was just under £48 which I considered excellent value for money.
We had a table overlooking the valley with spectacular views on one of the finest evenings we have had for months, crystal clear with just a few fluffy clouds.
I understand that the owners are new and I would wish them well. If you are in the area I would recommend a visit.
We had smoke salmon lollipops which was asparagus wrapped in smoked salmon followed by scampi and cheese and biscuit platter. All well presented

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank PeterMirfield

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Myself and my partner popped in for our evening meal a couple of weeks ago. It's years since we have graced the Scape House and it was great to return as we live relatively local.
Most of the clutter has been removed, the curtains replace by blinds to make the most of the fantastic views and location.
We only had a main course, the rib-eye steak and venison, both cooked to perfection and very enjoyable. With a bottle of wine and drinks at the bar we paid approx £45. We thought it was good value.
There is an early bird menu available until 7pm for £11 ish (sorry cannot remember the exact price) there was a varied choice and certainly excellent value.
We had a chat to the owners and the chef Mark, who all very passionate about producing good quality food, and certainly have the drive and experience to make this venture work.
We wish them all the best and will certainly return very soon.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Golcargirl
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Needs to try harder to keep the locals.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I live locally and looked forward to this pub reopening, the village is very short of a good local. After a lengthy refurb I was a bit disappointed that its hardly changed looks wise. That however is a minor point. The menu is fine on first inspection but they seem to be missing anything mid price, ie light meals, snacks etc. For an average price of around £12 for a main its too expensive especially when other places do it better. The food was ok..
The main thing with this pub is that the staff are unfriendly. The atmosphere is frosty I have had friends who have said exactly the same about it and wont be returning, a group of them visited for drinks are were made to feel unwelcome, probably because they were not dining. The young waiting on staff are really pleasant however and make up for it.The impression is that they want to be a gastro pub for the village big spenders but even the big spenders will go somewhere else if its still as frosty. Come on, be friendlier, serve something a little less gatsro to appeal to more people it could be a really popular place to dine. They only have one competitor localy and thats the Pennine Manor Hotel where the food and standards and really on the skids so this is their chance.

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank blinkeylahoo
ScapeHouse, Owner at The Scape House, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Having taken on the Scape House (Dec 2012) after your review was posted we would love it for you to visit again hopefully for a much better experience, as we feel great improvements have been made.

Kind Regards
Huddersfield, UK
“Too expensive for a local”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

Really nice food but quite expensive, live quite near and would go more but couldn't afford to. Need to do cheaper options like sandwiches and chips which would encourage locals in (if thats what you want)?

4 Thank Golcar-lily-222
Huddersfield
“The Scape House - go there”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

This pub is my brother's local and it has languished for several years under a succession of transient tenants. It re-opened several weeks ago under new but local management: a business meeting nearby allowed my brother and I to try it out. We were very pleasantly surprised by excellent food and service at prices no greater than what one would pay for ordinary 'pub grub'. The menu contains both the esoteric and the more popular, so while my brother had nachos, cheese and the usual accompaniments, I enjoyed chicken liver pate on warm brioche with chilli apricot jam, and a lovely little leaf salad topped by fresh pea shoots - yes, pea shoots in Huddersfield - beautifully presented. My main course was salmon with a crunchy crust on a buttery timbale of new potatoes, perfectly cooked and very tasty, my brother praised his lamb shank. The mains were accompanied by fresh vegetables cooked just right. Portion sizes were appropriate, although we were too full to manage pudding, another time perhaps. We shared a bottle of good quality cava for £15.
So what's the problem? The new management are determined to serve high quality restaurant food at more than reasonable prices, and from what we ate last week they have clearly succeeded. The issue is that, I surmise, much of the goodwill and 'regular' clientele has evaporated over the years. Even though the regulars may not have been the same group who eat out like this. Nevertheless given the end of the much-loved Weaver's Shed down the road in Golcar, there is hopefully an opportunity here. It would be a great pity for the Scape to fold, again, because of lack of interest this time rather than desultory management. Incidently, the Scape is perched on the top of the highest hill in Kirklees, and the long distance views south on light evenings are an attraction in themselves.

• Visited February 2012