“"Fish and chips with curry sauce - I ask you"”

Three Acres Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 21 Huddersfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 March 2010

I have been going to the 3 acres since I was 11 and I am now considerably older than that now, loved the old school approach, traditional families and a really great (expensive) place to go. It seems to have lost all it's charm, the head waiter guy 'terry' is so insipid, the clientelle has changed beyond all recognition and the last straw was the fish and chips with curry sauce - not the 3 acres I remember and loved.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank spaspangledbanner

Reviewed 12 November 2009

Visited last sunday and enjoyed a faultless meal.Set 3 course lunch with plenty of choice £26 00 Excellent food, service and ambiance.

Not the cheapest but it does represent value for money and you won t walk out of there feeling hungry!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2009

We went for a meal at the 3 Acre Resteraunt for my Mothers birthday yesterday evening, there was 4 in our party, unfortunately I can say I was very disappointed with my main meal, both my husband and myself chose the half lobster, which for neary £19.00 was very poor value, as there was more shell then anything else! I do have to say my mother had the Haddock and my father had the steak & ale pie, which was a very good portion for the price!

I will know if future to opt for another choice for my main meal and leave the lobster alone!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank janeg1
Reviewed 23 June 2009

The food is generally of a very high standard although the menu is somewhat limited. The service is poor and slow.They messed up the wine order bringing 2 bottles that we had not ordered and looked a bit annoyed when we sent them back after they had started to open them. I had the impression that the waiting staff were not that well trained 3 or 4 different waiters attended to us leading to a few "Fawlty Towers" moments. They ran out of roast potatoes. How is that possible?! Confusion reigned supreme when giving out the main courses to the eight of us in our party. A lot needed sent back as they were the wrong dishes. It is overpriced with the mark up on the wine being laughable were it not so painful on the wallet! Nice atmosphere and surroundings though.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Phil80
Reviewed 8 December 2007

Food and service are very good -but prices are frightening.My wife and i went for an anniversary and the total bill was £146.00 The mark up on the wine is immoral- they charged us £24.95 for a bottle of st claire which i pick up from Averys for £7.95,and i'm sure they make a handsome mark up on that.

Stayed: November 2007
2  Thank SheffieldCeasefire
Reviewed 17 November 2007

This hotel had had such good reviews I thought I would go there -- never again -- I was to treat an old friend to lunch - it came - my meal was over cooked and burnt - the owners responce was to tell me he had been runing this hotel for 40 yeras and there was nothing wrong with the meal - my friend had the Duck - it looked very dry - when she was leaving she told me her meal was bad too only haveing eat part of it. It appeared that they had precooked - over cooked both meals. The owner simple did not want to know- charged me the full price for the meal - I was not after a freemeal I can afford to buy the place! All I want from any person is that if you have a complaint please listen to it. I visited friends in the area who told me that this place has gone down hill and the owners reputation for arrogance was well know. I woulld never go there again. I eat at the Kay Arms after that, just down the road Fab food at half the price and the service brill.

Stayed: November 2007
8  Thank Denis_Linda
Reviewed 11 August 2007

Very warm and professional welcome. Extensive menu with exquisite local selections. Loved the Seafood/Oyster Bar with delicious Whitby Crab salad and Billy Baxter's famous potted shrimps, simply delicious. The Roast beef and Yorkshire puddings were excellent, we really like the individual serving of vegetables. We stayed the night, rooms were very comfortable and clean, and nothing was too much trouble for the helpful wait staff. Oh & by the way, the views were the best we saw in Yorkshire.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)