“NOBODY CAN BEAT THEIR COFFEE!”
Review of Merrie England

Merrie England
Ranked #26 of 31 Coffee & Tea in Huddersfield
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
huddersfield
“NOBODY CAN BEAT THEIR COFFEE!”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I've tried everywhere to better a Merrie England strength and a half coffee but it's not possible. It's £1.95 for a large one with no extra charge for extra strength. Delicious (especially if the milk isn't too watery from being reheated much) I've tried for years to replicate this coffee at home but have failed. The nearest I can get is from my Dolce Gusto (with extra spoon of Carte Noir instant). Also I take home a rum truffle which my partner enjoys greatly, and I've been known to buy a whole (scrummy) apple pie and pretend I've made it!!
Another tip is, if you're on your way to Manchester airport and need a meal for your journey, call in at Merrie England up New Hey Road and take a beef and onion on granary, nicer than any airport offerings.
Staff seem to work there for years too, always a good sign

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Sue Bellwood

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Merr'yily Rippping off' England”
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Used to love going here as a child myself so visited there with my two young daughter's recently on a shopping trip to Huddersfield. We ordered 3 toasties and 2 hot chocolates and got pence change from £15, yes I'm realistic, that's what you expect to pay if it's good but.... We waited 20 mins for the toasties to arrive when it wasn't that busy, when they did finally arrive (with no apology) there were crushed flat, burnt 'teacakes?' containing dried up bacon and the scarce remains of cheese which had obvoiusly melted away in the toastie machine. I could not believe that they deemed these suitable tor consumption, not to mention charge for!! The kids could have made better ones at home..it's not difficult!!! There wasn't any salad garnish to be seen, not that it was advertised, but a nice touch which these days you sort of expect when you are paying eat in prices, not takeaway prices!! I would definately not recommend or go to any of their cafes again!! Think the Merrie England has definately had it's day and should move into current times or move on...

• Visited September 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Miserable England”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I can remember my Grandma taking me to one of Huddersfield's Merrie Englands when I was kid, growing up in the 70s. I would have a tiny glass tumbler of Coke and she would have a cup of tea. We'd share a vanilla slice.

I would be able to do exactly the same thing with my nieces or nephews today. The Merrie England chain has been a blight across West Yorkshire for as long as I can remember.

The decor is still the same dark, semi-medieval combination of scalloped wood and mucky scarlet. Airless, windowless and classless.

With its low quality bacon butties and tea that smells of chlorine, this is still the cafe your Gran went to. We've moved on. Merrie England hasn't.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank TheLastGentleman
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Merrie England Kirkgate Hudds Town Centre”
Reviewed 27 July 2012

This chain of coffee shops is an independent family run business with outlets in and around the Huddersfield area. My family and I have visited most of them and especially the one in Kirkgate for over 20 years. They are famous for and serve the best roast beef teacake and homemade apple pie I've ever tasted. Keep up the good work!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Joe M
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Awfully Good Food, (Some) Awfully Bad Staff”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

New Hey Road, Huddersfield

Excellent Food, Excellent Coffee but order taker could be likened to a post-menopausal Rottweiler! Honestly why are these people employed to take your order if they speak to you as if your scum on the bottom of their shoe?? I love the food at Merrie England but I’m afraid some of the staff need to know that the customers are there out of choice and will be paying for goods which eventually pay their wages i.e. no customers no pay cheque! Go figure? One other complaint is that the conservatory fills with car exhaust fumes from the drive through when the doors are open in summer. So until the staff go on a customer care course I will be getting my next coffee and baked goods from Greggs

• Visited July 2012