“Briar Court Hotel”
Review of Briar Court Hotel

Briar Court Hotel
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Huddersfield
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights last weekend and thought it was very good value as well as being in a convenient location just off the M62. Our twin room was very smart, although a little cramped, but had everything we needed. There was a lovely bathroom with all facilities, and we also had the added benefit of tea and coffee making in the room. Breakfast was delicious with loads of options, the usual full English plus fruit/nuts/yoghurts etc followed be a selection of pastries and toast. There was also fresh juice to enjoy. The staff were all charming and helpful.
Our only 'moan' was the heat in the hotel as the corridors upstairs were really warm, and our room even hotter, as there was no aircon or fans, and leaving the window open wasnt an option as there was constant traffic noise from the busy Halifax Rd running along the front of the hotel. We pulled the 10.5 tog quilts out of their covers and even with only the thin sheeting we both had difficulty sleeping. Perhaps a room at the back where you could leave a window open would be better. If youre a 'cold-blooded' person its fine but we are both used to sleeping in a cool room. Apart from that we enjoyed our visit and would recommend it to others looking for a smart hotel in this area.
Next door in the large car park is a lovely Italian restaurant which is both reasonable and convenient.

Room Tip: Try a room at the back in the hope the traffic noise is less
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We had stayed at Briar Court for a couple of nights in April, and needed to come back to Huddersfield in July, as I was in need of a surgery. Spending those couple of nights here, made us certain that it would be the perfect place to stay at pre- and post-operation. The location suited us perfectly as it is less than five minutes away from the hospital that I was going to be at, so commuting was really not a problem; and not far from either Halifax or Huddersfield city centres.

I have not stayed at a hotel with more comfortable beds in fifteen odd years. And that is considering the fact that my recovery was not easy. The hotel staff were also incredibly accommodating, caring and understand of all my odd requests; and made us all feel very much at home. Being asked regularly about how my recovery was going, and if I needed anything extra in the room, made me feel very comfortable and well attended to, by a team of smiling faces.

The rooms are spacious, warm, inviting, clean and very comfortable – both times that we stayed here, despite being given rooms on different floors, it was comfortable all through. Given that I had mobility limitations following the surgery, the room and bathroom were both very easy for me to move around in without straining my body.

Two weeks is a long time to stay in one hotel, but I wouldn’t be lying if I said that we received better than value for our money. The hotel may be ranked as a three star, but in my opinion that is two stars short of the amount I would give for our stay at Briar Court.

Room Tip: If you are there in Summer and need a quiet night, rooms on the ground floor may not be the most sui...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jas S
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I have not given this 5 stars as the fruit for breakfast was tinned, not fresh and also the fire alarm went off for a short while one evening but no information was given. Otherwise it was a comfortable stay, everything was clean and the staff were friendly. There is a bar with newspapers to read which is a nice touch. Plenty of parking. A pizza place next door which I didn't use. Tea, hot chocolate and coffee in the bedroom. Not a personal hotel but it does the job efficiently.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Have stayed here a few times now - very handy for Halifax. Rooms are well equipped, clean and with free wifi. Staff always friendly, good cooked breakfast and both the room service and restaurant service from the Italian Restaurant attached to the hotel are very good. Will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel nice. Breakfast really good & staff very helpful & friendly. Excellent bus route into huddersfield. Italian restaurant attached to hotel amazing
Authentic family run with fresh food which was awesome.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This hotel has the potential to have been very good and I would currently award it 3.5 if that was possible. The location is away from the town centre, but close to the motorway. The room, whilst a little small, was clean, nicely decorated, and had a powerful hairdryer, and included, tv, kettle, trouser press etc. Its strongest point was how comfortable the bed was, I slept very well!

However, its weakest point is its bath/shower, which was small, uncomfortable and only just fit for purpose. During the weekend, the hotel hosts weddings, but that shouldn't detract one from staying there. I am not sure if the hotel was short staffed, but the receptionists also ran the bar (or so it seemed) and you sometimes had to wait a little while.

The hotel was good value as we got a good deal, but not sure I would pay the going rate.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Staff were helpful and despite a wedding part being in it wasn’t noisy. Good alternative to a Premier Inn or similar.

Stayed in a refurbed room which was very nice. The bedroom was better than the bathroom; a warning message about too much steam setting off the fire alarm in the room (fit a better extractor fan!) and the arm on the shower was a bit short meaning you have to stand close to the wall. However, the rest of the room was completely satisfactory and clean.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huddersfield
The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield
#5 of 14 in Huddersfield
The Waterfront Hotel
The Waterfront Hotel
#3 of 3 in Brighouse

Been to Briar Court Hotel? Share your experiences!