“A promising addition to the Asian restaurant scene”
Review of Shamraat - CLOSED

Shamraat
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I visited Shamraat for a family birthday meal recently. We booked for 5.30pm as we had a toddler in our midst. The staff were very pleasant and polite and clearly trying to be very obliging - we were brought extra yogurt and mango chutney without a problem. The poppodoms and pickle tray were excellent; the starters were fine but, as seems to happen to me these days, I didn't detect much flavour in my curry. It was described on the impossibly large menu as 'medium hot' but there was no heat at all. I don't doubt the quality of the ingredients but perhaps I just chose the wrong curry for me. However, I thought the place was good enough to try again and I look forward to doing so.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Went on Friday night with my husband , heard mixed reviews so thought we'd try it was, how glad we did it. Excellent greeting , extensive menu , too much choice but not complaining . Staff were quite slow but very polite and tried their best . We had 2 kingfishers , bottle of house white , beautiful tasty hot sizzling duck , lamb korai and ceylon chicken with keema rice , roti and salad . All tasted fresh , the curries were hot in temperature and very very tasty . £39 and well worth it , even get oranges and complimentary Bailey's . Hope they keep up this standard ? Definitely worth another visit .

1  Thank YorkshireKebab
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This restaurant has only been open a few days and on 4th January we decided to have a takeaway. The menu was extensive and the descriptions looked promising. However, it did not start well as my husband rang up and was told that the credit card machine did not always work and to bring cash ‘just in case’. He went to collect the meal and was struck by something very unusual: a complete lack of lovely curry aromas both outside and inside the restaurant and in the car on the way home (think about it – when was the last time you went to an Indian restaurant and couldn’t smell the food?) When we opened the dishes, we found out why: they were all completely bland. Every single one tasted the same - from the main dishes of chilli chicken masala and chicken shatkora to the four side dishes. The chilli chicken was listed as ‘fairly hot’ but there wasn’t an ounce of heat in it. It was very disappointing and a waste of money. We certainly will not be going there again.