“Very Central Indeed”

Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Huddersfield
Chorley, United Kingdom
“Very Central Indeed”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We are just back from a very comfortable weekend at this most excellent hotel. We did have a little trouble finding it mostly due having turned off the ring road too late and then been unable to turn into the right road due to no access signs. If you turn off in the right place the hotel is actually brown signed so I would recommend good directions before you set off. We did several laps!! When we did find it however we parked our car securely and with no trouble. We were given a very friendly welcome and shown to our room. The room was very clean and well equipped with a trouser press/ironing board and an iron in addition to the usual hairdryer, tea/coffee, tissues etc. The bathroom was a good size with overbath shower and plenty of hot water. Beware if you twist the shower pipe it obstructs the flow, nothing wrong with the shower it was my fault entirely. The hotel is very close to the shops and many excellent restaurants. We ate at Discovery Bay and Meson la Pepa which are very close and almost across the road from each other on Wood Street. The breakfast here was very good, we could not have asked for anything more. You can order a takeaway and eat in the hotel if you wish, they will supply crockery etc which is a nice touch. The staff are all very friendly and most helpful with lots of local knowledge.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 32 which had 2 chairs as opposed to the one which you find in most hotels.We had 2...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cleocairn
JoeatCentrallodge, Owner at Huddersfield Central Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Hi cleocairn,

Having read your review, I am pleased you managed to find us. Due to our location being in the heart of town along with the one way system etc We can sometimes be hard to fine. Your comments regarding the Central Lodge Hotel are most welcome and I was pleased to know that our recommendations on places to eat was also of help. Perhaps they may appreciate a review? Thank you once again for your kind words and I hope we can welcome you back in the future.
Best Wishes
Joe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 8 November 2013

From the warmth of the welcome, to the standard of the rooms, to the central location, to the delicious breakfast (can't forget the fab home made jam!), to all the little but much appreciated extras, it would be very hard to find fault with this hotel. Our family stayed twice this Autumn and my only reluctance to shout how good it is from the rooftops is that we don't want it to be full next time we book! There is a real family feel about the Central Lodge, informal, welcoming and nothing was too much trouble (including lending me a phone charger as I'd forgotten to pack one). The rooms were huge, spotlessly clean, comfy beds, tea, coffee, etc. all there for the making, shampoo and shower stuff provided, Wi-Fi, everything you would expect from a first class hotel (but without the price tag) and with all the extra personal touches that come from a small, friendly, family run business. Looking forward to our next visit! Susie P

1 Thank Susie P
JoeatCentrallodge, Owner at Huddersfield Central Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Hello Susie P,

Thank you so much for a splendid review, I have passed your kind comment to all those you came in contact with, in particular Angela, my sister in law, who makes the home-made jams.

We also very much look forward to your next visit!

Regarding the phone charger, no problems as we have at least three a week left behind! I should say that if we know who it belongs to, we post it back or ends up in the drawer with about 30 other!

Thank you once again!

Best wishes,

Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed one night for the Rugby league world cup. Great staff and wonderful service. Rooms spotless, so clean, power shower and lovely hot water. Tea and coffee in room.
Breakfast lovely, plenty of choice and eggs cooked to order, lovely fresh coffee, fruit and all different kinds of milk.
Large secure car park. Will certainly return, the big chain hotels could learn a lot from this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dannyairedale
JoeatCentrallodge, Owner at Huddersfield Central Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Hello Dannyairedale,

Many thanks for all your kind words regarding your stay. It seems you definitely enjoyed the visit and I hope you enjoyed the Rugby game and what was really nice to read was your mention of our standards and facilities compared to the national chains.

Many thanks once again.
Kind Regards
oldham
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Im reluctant to tell anyone else about this family run hotel as we may not be able to get in next time due to its excellent feedbacks.Top drawer service and helpful staff,would use again..no question.Breakfast super and plentiful ,location very central,car secure in locked car park,triple room spacious and clean with all facilities.Coming back with wife to do Christmas shopping and make a weekend of it..why not? Thanks Phil.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank OldhamPhil
JoeatCentrallodge, Owner at Huddersfield Central Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Hello OldhamPhil,

Lovely review, thank you! Please contact me direct when you know the dates of your Christmas shopping weekend. My wife Janice, would be delighted to point the way to your wife the location of the best and expensive boutiques and shoe shops! Don't worry about the spend, we will make up with for it with some December discount.

Kind Regards

Stone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Just stayed two nights in the truly wonderful Huddersfield Central Lodge and it was marvellous! I've stayed in some of the best hotels in the World and I'll tell you something for nothing- this one is right up there with the best. It offers everything you need from a hotel without any pretension or fuss. Lovely quiet room (no. 36) blackout blinds,piping hot water,fluffy white towels and pillows,complimentary toiletries,fully centrally heated,comfy bed,free wifi,well stocked bar,Black Sheep beer,free secure parking,2 mins walk from town centre,excellent cooked to order 'full Yorkshire' breakfast, loads of choice of juices and cereals and homemade jams,outdoor heated areas,flat screen tv,clean and efficient....excellent value for money......£101 for two nights at the weekend. Great family run comfortable hotel,staff falling over themselves to make sure you have everything you need. Fantastic customer service including a delivery service from the best local restaurants and the hosts lay on hot plates and cutlery so you can eat your takeaway in the dining room. I'm a single female traveller so this is a real bonus. You feel really safe and don't even need to venture out if you don't want to. Really friendly but unobtrusive atmosphere. I'd rather stay here than a sterile bland chain hotel.....and it's half the price. No wonder it's the favourite of over 100 TV and theatre celebrities. Huddersfield's best kept secret. Lots of local knowledge,maps and discount vouchers available in reception and in the information folder in the rooms. I was checked in within two minutes and offered a welcome drink on arrival (it was the middle of the afternoon and they said they could open the bar in one minute if I needed anything),I was given a map and directions around town,helped with my bags to the room and the receptionist showed me to the room herself and checked that it was to my liking. I stayed two nights on business but I would happily come back for pleasure and I would recommend the hotel to friends and family. A lovely relaxing stay. I was sorry to leave!

Room Tip: top floor overlooking car park v quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SandraBPVC
Hello Sandra B,

It's taken me a couple of days to decide how best to respond to such a superb and comprehensive review but now I've thought of something.
You forgot to mention me by name! Joking aside, all reviews are really important to us, especially when compared to the national chains. As I've mentioned in other responses, our family and team were overwhelmed with your review and it is such a pleasure to know that what we do is appreciated, especially from a Top Contributor.

Kindest Regards

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

As a Huddersfield resident I'd had only the vaguest awareness of this hotel, until about 3 weeks ago, after my daughter's fiance had announced his surprise arrangement of their marriage on my daughter's birthday, yesterday, and my daughter had subsequently asked if she might sleep the night before at my boyfriend's and my house. Problem! The spare room is now his studio, and tho she said she'd sleep on the sofa, I deemed this unacceptable and hit on the idea of a hotel room for the 2 of us plus my other, younger, daughter. After a quick bit of research, and reference to Trip Advisor, a visit to Huddersfield Central Lodge Hotel was arranged. We were sold within minutes of our tour, and duly provisionally booked a room for 3, as well as a second room for the honeymoon couple the next night.

We'd been highly impressed with the split level apartment style suite we'd been shown, spotlessly clean, and complete with double bedroom, spacious lounge with sofa bed, HIGHLY appointed kitchen and shining white bathroom, but didn't think it necessary for our purposes. But then, while thinking of a venue to surreptitiously celebrate after the 10 am ceremony with only 12 guests told of 'secret' (I naughtily told my 2 sisters, tho my treachery paid off when the one in Australia made a spontaneous decision to come over and so in turn surprised the surprisees!!!) wedding before the gaffe was blown at a larger party last night - believed to be a birthday party til then!!! - I suddenly hit on the idea of hosting our own intimate reception in aforementioned apartment suite. The happy couple-to-be thoroughly endorsed this brainwave, and so I changed my booking to this same apartment for both nights. What a tremendous decision! Not only was it the perfect venue for our sleepover hen party the night before, but, having explained my intentions from the start, the staff at the Central Lodge couldn't have done more to be helpful, and in the hour we were away to the registry office, provided all crockery, cutlery and glasses, as well as re-arranged the furniture to provide a table cloth covered serving area for the continental breakfast I'd shopped for.

This wedding was yesterday, and I can truly say that the Central Lodge was a very integral and special part of an immensely special and lovely day - a true home from home in which we 'hosted' our intimate gathering in the spacious and well furnished lounge, making excellent use of the unbelievably brilliant kitchen, and particularly relished the especially poignant moment when my 2 sisters (who weren't' supposed to know anything) walked in, the first one to happy surprise, the second, who'd touched down from Oz only hours earlier, to stunned and tearful amazement . . .

Thank you, thank you Central Lodge. I can't sing the praises of your facilities or staff more highly.

2 Thank Soozi G
Hello Suzanne G,

I'm not going to leave a long response but a huge thank you for all our family and team for taking the time to share your experience with ourselves and all the other Trip Advisor users.

The apartment suite you had, is a new addition and we will be marketing this as serviced self catering apartment within our hotel grounds. I'm sure your review will steer people looking for this type of accommodation to us.

Last but certainly not least. We all wish the newly weds, yourself and all your family a very happy future and if you have any photos of the occasion that you wish to share, I would be delighted if you would send them to us.

Thank you so much.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I stayed at the Central Lodge last week with my disabled mother and 4 year old daughter, we were visiting a relative who was in hospital. I honestly cant praise the owners and staff enough, they really are wonderful, cant do enough for you and very very friendly - its was so welcoming and spotlessly clean. Breakfast was amazing so much to choose from i'm not surprised they won an award. Location is central, close to everything that you need-shopping, restaurants, bars and in our case the hospital. Our rooms were on the 1st floor, very spacious, clean and well stocked en-suite bathroom was an added bonus...It was also a nice surprise when we arrived that they have secure of street parking however the car park can get very busy especially during the day and it can be a tight squeeze getting in and out,, All in all id definitely stay here again and would recommend the Central Lodge to others.

1 Thank Kellie A
Hello Kellie A,

An excellent review! Thank you for your kind words and all our team were pleased to read your comments, I do hope that your relative is on the mend and would of course be delighted to welcome you back in the future.

Best Wishes