“Typical rep's hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Huddersfield
London, United Kingdom
“Typical rep's hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Just stayed two nights for our grandson's graduation, so we were in a good mood the whole time.
Just do n't understand the 5 star revues.
This is a typical rep's B&B.
For us the main advantage was the downhill walk from the railway station and the closeness of the University. For this it is ideal.
Large bedroom (34) with twin beds and T.V. Clean and tidy. Adequate storage.
Bathroom cramped and no shelf for sponge bags etc:
The weather was warm and the ventilation was very poor. No air conditioning. Secondary double glazing restricts the airflow. The nights were hot and sticky, even with the fan on.
Day one , the the beds were not made properly.
Day two , No hot water for the shower, shaved with hot water from the kettle.
The much advertised Yorkshire Breakfast was was absolutely standard for anywhere you go in 2014. Half a tomato and supermarket sliced bread. Who does n't have a selection of cereals
and jams etc: these days?
Perhaps one of the staff thought he was meant to be an example of your typical yorkshire character, but not particularly polite or helpful.
Lack of hot water was down to boiler failure, which can happen to anyone, but no compensation was offered.
Complimentary drink? What complimentary drink?
Convenient for the centre of town and the brilliant University, A rep's hotel. 4 or 5 star? No!

Room Tip: Check you have properly opening windows. On the first floor you hear noise from guests moving about...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Joe M, Owner at Huddersfield Central Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Response to Geoff I’s review (Thank you)
You say you don’t understand the 5 star reviews. I assume by this you mean the green circles on Trip Advisor reviews and not other official accreditations. I don’t understand what is a ‘Typical rep’s hotel’ or ‘rep’s B&B’. We are inspected annually by the AA and Visit Britain. We were in fact inspected on a unannounced visit by Visit Britain last night, (Tuesday 22nd July 2014) who introduced herself Wednesday morning and checked several bedrooms, bathrooms and of course breakfast. The lady inspector confirmed our existing rating as a 3 Star Metro Hotel.
I do agree that the bathroom you had is smaller than our average but I do not consider it to be ‘cramped’. There is a shelf above the wash basin and a small window ledge alongside.
The weather has been warm as you mentioned throughout the UK. We do not have air conditioning but the secondary glazing slides open for plenty of air flow. Extra fans are available on request.
Your comment regarding the beds not made properly, I don’t understand what you mean. Our reception is manned 24 hours a day and the number to dial if any problems are displayed in all our rooms.
There was a break of approximately 90 minutes on the morning of Tuesday 22nd July, where the boiler had tripped out, reducing the amount of hot water. My apologies for this inconvenience, however I understand that again no contact from you was made to reception until you were actually checking out.
Our breakfast is mentioned many, many times in other reviews as being excellent. We have the Healthy Choice Award from the local council plus the Visit Britain Award sponsored by Kelloggs for the variety of choices and finally we are members of the Deliciously Yorkshire scheme for locally sourced produce.
You mention compensation not being offered for the shortage of hot water, this is correct. None was asked for at check out and again we were only aware at that time because you didn’t report this from your room at the time. We may have been able to offer you another room to bath or shower in.
Complimentary drink. It clearly states on this website that to redeem a complimentary drink you should mention this offer when checking in. There is also a printable voucher on Trip Advisor’s website.
‘A rep’s hotel, 4 or 5 star? No!’ we make no such claims or pretend to be anymore than we are, which is 3 Star, busy, friendly and with a service and facilities well above average, this can be seen in many reviews (349 excellent or good out of 362 so far).
Finally regarding your Room Tip, I contest this comment regarding windows. All rooms have fully opening windows as well as opening secondary glazing. Additionally I don’t think I’ve ever stayed in a hotel where on occasions I have heard other guests’ movements, especially during times of celebration such as Graduation you were attending.

Yours sincerely
Joe Marsden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Having had to visit the university several times recently, I could not have had a more enjoyable stay than at this hotel. The staff were all very friendly, efficient and happy to help. A splendid breakfast selection and very good service all enhanced the experience, and the hotel's central position in the town means that it is easy to find, as well as being close to the university.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sheila S
Joe M, Owner at Huddersfield Central Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear Sheila S,
How lovely! your review was a pleasure to read and our team and I hope that your visits to the University have been more enjoyable when staying with us.

We very much look forward to greeting and being of service to you when you next come to Huddersfield.
Best wishes,
Warwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed for a couple of days whilst watching Le Tour de Yorkshire and enjoyed the hotel which had great service, lovely people, secure parking and more than adequate rooms. The breakfast was excellent and cooked fresh supplemented by an extensive selection of juice, yoghurt and cereals. We were on the top floor in a family room which I would imagine could be quite noisey during the week days but was fine over the weekend (traffic noise), so it might be worth asking for a more central room in warm weather to get around the ususal noise v cool conflict. We would definately come back.

Room Tip: try to avoid the North facing rooms near the main road
1 Thank Duncan M
Bonjour Duncan M,
Many thanks for your review. I`m sure you will agree it was a superb weekend and a great advert for our town and county.

I would like to thank you for taken the time to post this message as it seems you stay with us may have helped your visit go so well!
Merci
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here when he had to attend a work function. I was too pregnant to want to join him for the night out, so I spent the evening in the hotel whilst he went.
The hotel has a secure car park at no extra charge and is right in the centre. Staff are lovely and make you feel very at home. The night porter ordered me a takeaway and rang my room when it arrived!
The room was huge and clean, the bed comfy, the complimentary biscuits delicious and the breakfast rocked.
Can't recommend this place enough.

Room Tip: The suites are massive
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SarahReading2014
Joe M, Owner at Huddersfield Central Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Hi SarahReading2014,

Brilliant review!
We remember you spending the evening whilst your husband was out and are delighted that you enjoyed a relaxing time in our company.
Our breakfast rocks, first time we've had that comment!
Thank you so much!

Leicestershire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Staff were very welcome, although the 'complimentary free drink' was not offered and I only found out about this after my visit!

The rooms are very big and spacious with everything you need, albeit a little dated.

My main criticism is that the staff had a tendency to knock on my door a lot. When I was in my room mid morning, staff knocked on my door twice. Once a gentleman did not explain why he was knocking on my door and said he would come back later, which made me feel a little unnerved about leaving my room! Secondly the staff knocked on my door to do housekeeping even though I did not leave the sign outside the door to say I wanted it.

Other than that, the stay was lovely and I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Rooms
Hi Shani B,

Many thanks for the review, all comments good or not so good, help us to maintain or improve our standards.
I'm sorry you didn't get your complimentary drink. The offer on this website does state that this should be mentioned by the guest on check in. Perhaps if you visited again, you'll allow me to buy you 2!
We do have a male housekeeper for occasions when there is light maintenance needed in a room. All the housekeeping staff know not to knock if the do not disturb sign is showing. I'm sorry you were disturbed by the knocking and I apologise for this and hope that it didn't spoil your stay.
We are all very happy to read your last line that the stay was lovely and we very much hope to welcome you again. Don't forget, contact me direct for the two drinks I owe you.

Best wishes

Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Very friendly, helpful and welcoming. Stayed for one night when visiting the university for a conference. Great location, infinitely preferable to chain alternatives. Liked the attention to being eco-friendly. Good breakfast included which set me up for the day!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kat S
Dear Kat S,

A lovely review, thank you.
I hope you enjoyed the conference as much as you enjoyed your stay with us. You are yet another to mention the difference between our selves and the national chains. Myself and our team are always delighted to read reviews such as yours.

Kind Regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Excellent location and secure on site parking. Staff were ultra helpful - nothing was too much trouble. Room was very clean and nice bar and conservatory to relax in. Will definitely return -highly recommended. Good breakfast.

Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank Rik M
Joe M, Owner at Huddersfield Central Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Rik M,

Thank you for posting your first review and for choosing to stay with us during the Tour De France weekend. Your kind comments are very much appreciated.
I hope you agree that it was a superb event and a great advert for Huddersfield and Yorkshire. We will be happy to have you visit again and enjoy the delights of Huddersfield but without the crowds.

Merci.