We used Trip Advisor to select this hotel and we were not disappointed. We have not tried anywhere else in Huddersfield, but I note that TravelLodge type places are scoring highly - so that suggests there is not a lot of choice.
Central Lodge is easy walking from the station and just 50 meters or so off the main City Centre streets down a wee lane. They have a large, very secure car park. All the restaraunts and pubs etc are close by, but you are in a little private enclave in the town.
Quirky place, but exceptionally well run. I travel a great deal and seek out good guest houses rather than plastic chain hotels, this is in the top 10% of good guest houses.
They knew who I was, warm welcome, good large ensuite room, top quality fittings, blindingly hot shower in a large fully- tiled ensuite. Wi-Fi that worked (even streamed BBC iPlayer), stupid wee plastic glass that I broke trying to get out of the sterile wrapping (barman gave me a real glass later). Super comfy bed with big pillows/cushions. Clean, nothing worn out.
Good breakfast the next morning, wide choice, well attended by friendly staff.
2 things stand out from this visit.
1. Attention to detail. The hotel has a very obvious caring attitude to it's guests. Simple things like umbrellas to borrow, De-Icer kits to buy cheaply at the exit door to the carpark, facilities to allow you to eat a carry-out (which they will order) in their dining room, a nice wee bar to end your evening in, a PC to use in reception....there are lots more. It just is somewhere that the owners, management and staff have worked as a team to provide a really guest-focussed experience - and they obviously enjoy doing it. Does not happen very often.
2. When we mentioned to our Huddersfield clients where we had stayed - they were appalled! "What - Johnny's Hotel?" - they asked. OK, we are a top UK Management Consultancy company, so perhaps they expected us to stay at the Huddersfiels Savoy (they are paying...why?). But locals have a dim view of this wee gem, locally known as Johnnys, ignore them. Stay here.
Ask about the Summer Wine gossip at the bar!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Three Star Metro Hotel accreditation from Visit Britain and AA. Quiet town centre location. All rooms fully en-suite, fully licensed bar. Smoking rooms are available on request. Free Wi-Fi. Free on-site secure car parking. Award winning Yorkshire Breakfast included in all rates. We are ideal for visiting friends, family or business colleagues traveling to our area. We have some small studio rooms which have a kitchenette and a small dining area, ideal for medium and long stay visitors or families. Special offers always available and updated often. We are waiting to welcome you! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, Cancelon and LateRooms so you can book your Huddersfield Central Lodge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Huddersfield Central Hotel Huddersfield