“On the cheap”

Ranked #13 of 25 Huddersfield B&B and Inns
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
“On the cheap”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Rooms were good, food was average, the service was great and the location was excellent. Would recommend to anyone. Needs some basic toiletries, but they were ample towels and spare bedding. Excellent price

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Richard-James N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Korean first
newcastle
Reviewed 6 August 2014

my partner and I stayed one night at the Edgerton guest house in Huddersfield England.the guesthouse is nice and friendly,the rooms are of a high standard and the breakfast was very good.for the price we paid it was great value for money

Room Tip: all rooms seem fine dining room is downstairs
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank michael1946newcastle
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Lovely Spacious Room, Extremely friendly Staff! Relaxing Power Shower! Wonderful freshly cooked breakfast! Never had Turkey Bacon, it was a nice refreshing change to pork bacon, breakfast choice was endless! I had veggie sausage with my breakfast and it was devine! u must try it! Our room was very clean with very comfortable beds, myself and my husband cannot recomend this hotel enough, we really enjoyed our stay, ThankYou!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon M
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

After finding my room I almost left straight away. There were loads flies in my room and I spend the next 45 minutes swatting them.

There was a strong smell of smoke in my room. Took me a while to figure out why by I soon realised the smokers use the small balcony under my only window - my only source of ventilation. So in the middle of summer I had to keep my window shut for the duration of my stay. I've also got a MILD dust allergy which only plays up when I'm in a particularly dirty environment. Needless to say I spent my stay sneezing and coughing from start to finish.

Breakfast is strictly HALAL so Turkey bacon and sausages. Not what you'd call a typical English breakfast, budget tea and coffee. Now I was in an economy room. So I was told no en suite. This also means breakfast too. This was not mentioned to is at all until as we tried to leave. We'd both just had a bowl of cereal. Not even a drink. As we were about to leave they charged us £5 EACH for the cereal!! Thought this was unfair as we were obviously unaware of the breakfast charge. Will never go back.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Vinnie E
CambridgeGuestHouse, Owner at Edgerton Guest House, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Vinnie. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience at the Guest House but the reasons you've put forward don't seem genuine. There's a staircase outside your bedroom window not a balcony and smoking is strictly prohibited there.
Regarding the dirty environment, well based on reviews from Booking.com, Lateroom.com, hostelbookers etc, we have one of the best levels of cleanliness amongst Guest Houses in Huddersfield and the room you stayed in was inspected by myself on the day of your arrival and no such problems were encountered.
When you spoke to myself whilst making the booking, I clearly stated that the economy rooms costs £29/night without breakfast and £34/night with breakfast. You opted for the £29 option. On arrival you claimed to the night manager that you received a confirmation 'EMAIL' stating breakfast was included, however no such email was sent out to you, as we don't send any type of confirmation emails's for bookings made via phone unless requested.
In the morning you and your colleague had breakfast and you belligerently told the chef you're not going to pay for the breakfast. When I confronted you, you claimed the person you made the booking with had said breakfast was included. When I brought to your attention you had made the booking with me you angrily paid me the money, shouted abuse to me, insulted the guest house and all the staff and you threatened to write a negative review which you have done. Had you respectfully asked for some type of discount maybe I would have considered, but your aggressiveness and condescending behaviour caused the final outcome of us having to charge you.
Finally, for breakfast we only use the finest ingredients and products. Nescafe, PG Tips, Twinings, kellogs, Kingsmill bread etc are served for breakfast. Our full breakfast menu is visible for all to see on our website.
It's unfortunate you had a bad experience during your stay, however if you ever did come again we would be happy to let you stay here but I would strongly recommend you listen carefully to what your paying for and NOT to expect free extras.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for the Tour de France a couple of weeks ago. Very friendly staff and a lovely room for the price. Breakfast was fine although mine did come without bacon but it wasn't the end of the world. Would definitely go back again. Have stayed in far less superior B&Bs and had to pay far more for them.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Bernice_Staunton
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Conveniently placed and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful - they couldn't do enough for you. The room wasn't expensive and but was very clean and comfortable. If travelling to Huddersfield again in the future I will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Scott C
Elstree, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We spent 3 nights here whilst attending a wedding nearby. The room and bed was decent for the price we payed and the staff were very friendly and helpful, on-call 24 hrs. Would use again if staying in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends