“Quirky and yummy!!”

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Quirky and yummy!!”
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Bar maroc looks fairly uninviting from the outside, but don't let the put you off! Once inside the place is just like Moroccan style bar. It's laid back and slightly quirky. Yummy veggie pizzas and good choice of drinks. Service was also great and really friendly . I will definitely be back!

Visited March 2014

Bradford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Rubbish Pizza - no Apology”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I visited Bar Maroc last night upon the advice of a friend who claimed the pizza was amazing. Unfortunately it appears that they are unable to make good pizza unless they slather it with cheese to mask the fact that it has no flavour. I asked for a vegan pizza, fairly easy for a vegetarian restaurant you would think, but apparently not. It was the blandest pizza I have ever been served and I could not bring myself to eat more than the crust.

Upon offering some constructive criticism to the barman / waiter I was told they are not very good at making pizza without cheese. I informed him that cheese does not a pizza make and if they had made a quality tomato sauce for the base, appropriately seasoned, there would be no need to pile on the cheese to compensate for the lack of flavour. I was told that the guy who chops the vegetables had taken it upon himself to make the sauce and he is not very good at it, and that was where he left it. No apology or thanks for the feedback and I was left in awkward silence while he served my drink.

It beggars belief that a vegetarian restaurant that professes to cater for alternative lifestyles could be so exclusive. To then not take criticism on board and try to pass the blame onto another member of staff was incredibly rude and unprofessional and is the reason why I am writing this review. I did try to find another means of contacting Bar Maroc to make a complaint, but as they don't appear to have an email or a working telephone I feel I am left with no choice but to pass this information on in the public domain. I only hope they read this and take my comments on board, but judging by the attitude of the person I spoke to last night I am not holding out much hope.

14 Thank Betsy1000
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Awesome atmosphere”
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

I've never been disappointed by maroc, if my visit is just for drinks or a pizza too.

They have delicious cocktails and a good selection to choose from. There are always real ales and cider on tap too.

There pizzas are delicious, well priced and you should always say yes to the garlic butter!

1 Thank Elisa E
Barcelona, Spain
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A Full Sensory Experience”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

In all honesty.

A few people have hit on the fact that this bar/pizzeria is unique.
Go there with no expectations, and let your senses do the rest. It's a full sensory experience. It can play a little trick on you from the outset, but don't be fooled. As soon as you enter the big double doors, your are carried up the wooden stairs by a faint aroma of what this bar is partly known for. Thin stone baked pizzas. But hold on, no rush, we got all day.

As soon as you enter the other wooden swing doors into the bar, feast your eyes on original Moroccan artwork, furniture and lighting. There's an explosion of color, all seemingly blurring into each other. All in all merging to a warm hue of deep reds, warm oranges and moody blues.

The floor is your ocean, and you feel free to walk ANYWHERE you please. There appears to be no red tape in this Oasis.

The bar is loosely pulled together by little 'coves' and seating areas, with lattice fencing, poof cushions and low hung tables and chairs as well as candles.

The great Zen Masters have been at work here.

After frequent visits, you begin to really grow with this place, and the family of people behind the bar. Conversations become deeper, connections get tighter and all in all you truly feel like you are apart of something in the making. Something that in 20 years time, you will say, 'remember the days.'

This place is as much about tea as it is anything else, the Moroccan Mint Tea is ruler of the roost. You must try this sacred drink. It has been called an elixir by some. A potion by others. As well as just plain old tea.

Did I tell you they have secret areas on the roof?

To summarize. This is a cool little bar that welcomes absolutely anyone. The only real requirement is that you keep your heart and mind open. The bar is known amongst the many different nationalities and cultures that thrive in Huddersfield, and this is the beauty of it. If you get to frequent quite a bit, you in a sense get to travel. As you will ultimately get a deeper understanding of the many different people, customs and traditions of the world.

See you down there sometime.

4 Thank mrk733
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Quirky, Unique, Amazing pizza!”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

A strange place on first feelings as you walk up the spooky stairs, wondering where it may lead. Double doors open and welcome you to a little piece of paradise in Huddersfield. Quirky is the word here, and it's certainly very different. A bar, but with a feel of a restaurant. Don't be put off by this, as this place is laid back to say the least. The staff are efficient, friendly, engaging, yet again slightly quirky, and that is the general feel here, it really is like nowhere I else I had ever been.

There was a group of student types next to us, although well behaved, were slightly exuberant, and I could see why that could be a problem here as the vibes are seriously chilled. A quiet word from the manager calmed them down, and they managed to tune into the place. I would say the customer base is widely varied, and judging by the welcoming board above the bar, customers from all parts of the world use the bar, a real international feel.

Take a trip upstairs for more of the same, again, a strange staircase through a secret door leads you upwards. Across from two more delightful rooms is an outdoor terrace garden, three storeys high! Although it wasn't particularly welcoming due to the inclement weather, I bet it's gorgeous in Summer, and I intend to return to find out.

I drank good quality ale whilst my partner drank cocktails. All drinks and pizza very reasonably priced making it a good value night out. The quality of pizza must be noted, it's all vegetarian, I was told this was for simplicity, and as a meat eater I was more than satisfied, so don't be put off by this. No grease and stodge in the pizza, delightfully fresh and crisp, the base was like a biscuit. Beautiful!

Bar Maroc is certainly not a restaurant, but, if you want a laid back night, with quality pizza and a relaxed atmosphere, then it's perfect. I intend to return with friends, but only the special ones, as I imagine with the wrong crowd in, the place would be very different.

All in all, a really satisfying and interesting experience.

3 Thank 29Jem77