“Great quality, budget stay”

and 1 more site!
Innkeeper's Lodge Huddersfield, Kirkburton
Ranked #10 of 25 Huddersfield B&B and Inns
“Great quality, budget stay”
Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

Rooms very clean and comfortable. Quite small but absolutely fine for a quick overnight stay.
Good to see free wifi although O2 reception good anyway.
Had to wait a while to order breakfast (after I went and found a staff member) once it arrived it was of good quality

Overall a great place to stay while on business. I have stopped in a lot worse hotels and paid a lot more for the privilege.

1 Thank Mbusiness2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013 via mobile

Table of eight. Pub was quiet on Monday. Food was good but forgot some of it. Little bit expensive menu and in particularly starters not good value. Could be so much better I am sorry to say. Waiter was really helpful and I suspect let down by kitchen as food also came in bits

1 Thank Mark G
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

My wife, daughter and I had visited The Foxglove on a number of occasions, and we have until today, overall been pleased. The welcoming has always been warm and friendly, pleasant surroundings, excellent location, and the food tasty and wholesome.

On this occasion, we were disappointed. We were shown to our table by I think Terry who is the Manager, and then we were passed over to a colleague who would be looking after us. I noticed immediately that when taking orders, he did not write anything down - no matter how large the group. I did find this strange and I did wonder how he managed to get all the orders correct. I then thought that as he must do this every day, perhaps he had a good memory. Sadly this proved to be not the case.

We ordered drinks and our meals. There was short wait when the colleague came back to confirm that our order had been lost behind the bar, and could we remind him what we had ordered. We then had a short wait until our main meals arrived. To be honest, they looked great - trouble being that my main meal was the wrong one! I had ordered pork and turkey had arrived. I immediately pointed this out and was assured another meal would be with me in around 5/10 minutes. I guess this was ok but the point being is that my wife and daughter were happily tucking in to theirs. As promised the meal did arrive. At which point I asked if I could have a small pot of gravy. This also did not arrive. What I noticed is that when the meals were being served, all the other tables were asked if 1. would they want any sauces 2. was the meal ok? I was disappointed to say that this did not happen to us and so I had to ask for the sauces. Having said all this, the meal itself was good. My daughter had a strawberry ice cream, and then we left. I just don't agree to paying £40 for a meal and having poor service. It sort of spoilt the meal/ambience/atmosphere. Having been on a number of occasions before, I can honestly say we are wondering if we will ever go back.

As we left, interestingly the table next to us did also complain as he had been served a cold steak. The pub was busy, but this is no reason to serve sub standard food with poor service.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AlexKrycek

Travellers are raving about these Huddersfield hotels

Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

First of all the room is OK, nothing better, try "The Woodman" at Thunderbridge first for price, used to be good value, but has been refitted.
Rooms are in a separate block to one side, clean, tidy, on the small side, but comfy bed, good pillows and a decent if noisy shower.
The problem as ever with the Vintage Inns is the food. I know it isn't dining out quality cuisine, the problem is they think it is!
I had the "large" portion of Risotto, good scallops but obvious cook/chill rice and peas, very small, if you HAVE to eat here have a burger, about the only thing probably cooked from scratch in the place, reasonable portion and decent value, but £11.95 for what I got was a rip off.
Friendly staff, nice atmosphere in bar, try and get a cheaper deal than we got (£59) but overall would stay again but would avoid the bar food.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank David H
Reviewed 14 April 2013

It looked lovely the room was clean and a good standard apart from the lamps didnt work and the pillows were like rock. These were things we were prepared to overlook but when it came to the standard of customer service in the morning it was truly appalling. I will not go into the catalogue of errors that made up our meal experience, it would take too long. I would never go back and was left feeling very angry ( a rare thing for me.) I did sympathise when the waitress told me she was on her own on Sunday mornings. The hotel was full and she clearly couldn't cope. Innkeepers lodge need to invest in their staffing levels and training in customer service and communication skills so that there is a minimum service standard. In contrast, the chap who had booked us in the previous evening was excellent. Employing polar opposites is unhelpful as a guest I want a reasonable standard of customer service regardless of who is serving me. When I leave I want to think how nice it would be to return, unfortunately on leaving in this case I vowed never under any circumstances to return. Innkeepers lodge clearly don't want repeat business. Such a shame. It could have been such a nice stay.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013

My husband and I thought we would try a meal at the Foxglove, The pub was quite busy, cosy tables and a pleasant atmosphere, The staff very friendly, good attentive service. Can't fault the staff,
We ordered fish pie and a chicken and ham pie, I was very disappointed with the very Small fish pie, lots of mash potatoes, shrimps and fish in a white sauce, the menu stated smoked haddock, salmon, Atlantic prawn and white fish in a dill sauce, my fish pie was minus the smoked haddock and salmon, I think they missed the dill out of the sauce. It was served with very tired looking salad leaves with 3 very small pieces of dried out raw carrot. My husbands meal wasn't any better, his pie was twice the size of mine, but once you cut into the puff pastry crust there was very little underneath, served with very poor oven chips and over cooked peas. Over priced and disappointing meal, we will not returning.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Firstly I apologise for not having a photo to share.

Bec and I visited on Easter Thursday (if there is such a thing) with her grand mother. The car park is very steep - I'm pleased we didn't go a week later or it'd have been a drive through lol. Almost as soon as we entered we were greeted by somebody who seemed surprised that we hadn't booked. I'm not sure if that was just because they had lots of reservations or because it is a reservations only place but either way she was nice enough to locate a table which wouldn't be needed for a while and allowed us to seat.

The interior is nicely decorated although dark and quite hot. They've done their best to lighten the place up with internal windows to spread the light but really their location at the bottom of the hill and the way the building faces hamper their efforts. As for the heat there is little that can be done. The coal fires are a lovely feature but you'd have a hard time turning the temperature down lol.

On browsing the menu I noticed very few vegetarian options but the ones that were there sounded nice. I chose the three cheese and potato pie with Mediterranean roast vegetables, and Bec and her grand mother both chose the gammon.

I am re-writing this section of the review having upgraded my rating from 4 to 5. I originally gave 4 because of the lack of vegetarian options but whilst writing I was thinking about how nice my meal was and decided to delete and replace with this. Although vegetarian options are few, the one I chose really did make up for that. It was lovely. The pastry was nice and really thick - just the way I like it. The mix of cheeses and potato was spot on, and the roast veg was lovely too, including roast courgette (I think) which I'd never tried before but was really nice. The pie must have been home made because I doubt you would ever find anything of that quality in a box from the supermarket. I could have easily eaten every bit of that again.

Bec's and her grand mothers meals looked nice too and apparently they were. The gammon looked very moist and well cooked (well as in with talent, not over done). Even their grilled pineapple which Bec didn't eat (I did though lol) was perfectly done.

To follow Bec had a Belgian chocolate brownie and I CHOSE the rhubarb creme brulee but received apple crumble. It was a little loud with a family who were just been seated so her mis-hearing me is understandable and I like apple crumble too so I didn't say anything.

This is where we have one point to make - speed of service. We were waiting a while for our main course and the desert which anywhere else is usually quite fast, we waited about 25 minutes for. When we did receive our deserts it was clear they had been standing for a while because the ice cream on Becs brownie had melted - not great because she doesn't like ice cream (I usually eat it). I would have marked them down for this had it not been for the fact that the problems with service has obviously been noticed by the management and efforts have been made to rectify that problem in the form of a las who was in training. Plus it was busy anyway with a funeral or wedding or something (same thing if you ask me), not to mention the day before Easter. So I didn't mark them down for this simply because they were doing something about it.

When we got the bill we were pleasantly surprised. Although the prices are not what you would call cheap, they are very reasonable for the quality of food received.

This review is from the first visit to the pub and I can't wait to return although I'll probably have the same thing, but hopefully with the creme brulee to follow lol.

Thanks Foxglove for a lovely, reasonably priced meal.

Room Tip: Even if you are not a vegie try the three cheese and potato pie.