“foxglove village inns booking nightmare”

and 1 more site!
Innkeeper's Lodge Huddersfield, Kirkburton
Ranked #10 of 25 Huddersfield B&B and Inns
uk
“foxglove village inns booking nightmare”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

first of all i have not stayed at the foxglove, however i feel i have to vent my unhappiness with the way they deal with bookings, i live in the local village to this hotel. i have a number of friends who want to book this hotel for a night in August 2013 for a regular get together we have arranged. i am amazed that in this day and age the Foxglove will not accept 1 night bookings at this time,they only accept 2 night bookings but ring them nearer the time and they will see what they can do?
dont they realise we are in the middle of economic recession, they should be happy with the one night bookings and also realise that people cant wait until the last minute to book hotels when they have to travel a distance. i would be interested to here any comments from Vintage inns about not taking 1 night bookings and probably losing up to 4 rooms being booked because of this crazy rule they have

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Elland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

I work nearby so regularly go to this pub for lunch visits (especially in Summer to sit in the lovely beer garden).

Atmosphere is lovely and has recently been refitted with extra seating so this is great. As I said lovely outside area with plenty of seating.

Food is lovely but overpriced and not consistent. Portion sizes great but would like to pay a few pounds less!

Staff are polite and attentive never had any problems with them but may be something to do with being regulars.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LauraW88
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

Rooms very clean and comfortable. Quite small but absolutely fine for a quick overnight stay.
Good to see free wifi although O2 reception good anyway.
Had to wait a while to order breakfast (after I went and found a staff member) once it arrived it was of good quality

Overall a great place to stay while on business. I have stopped in a lot worse hotels and paid a lot more for the privilege.

1 Thank Mbusiness2012
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013 via mobile

Table of eight. Pub was quiet on Monday. Food was good but forgot some of it. Little bit expensive menu and in particularly starters not good value. Could be so much better I am sorry to say. Waiter was really helpful and I suspect let down by kitchen as food also came in bits

1 Thank Mark G
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

My wife, daughter and I had visited The Foxglove on a number of occasions, and we have until today, overall been pleased. The welcoming has always been warm and friendly, pleasant surroundings, excellent location, and the food tasty and wholesome.

On this occasion, we were disappointed. We were shown to our table by I think Terry who is the Manager, and then we were passed over to a colleague who would be looking after us. I noticed immediately that when taking orders, he did not write anything down - no matter how large the group. I did find this strange and I did wonder how he managed to get all the orders correct. I then thought that as he must do this every day, perhaps he had a good memory. Sadly this proved to be not the case.

We ordered drinks and our meals. There was short wait when the colleague came back to confirm that our order had been lost behind the bar, and could we remind him what we had ordered. We then had a short wait until our main meals arrived. To be honest, they looked great - trouble being that my main meal was the wrong one! I had ordered pork and turkey had arrived. I immediately pointed this out and was assured another meal would be with me in around 5/10 minutes. I guess this was ok but the point being is that my wife and daughter were happily tucking in to theirs. As promised the meal did arrive. At which point I asked if I could have a small pot of gravy. This also did not arrive. What I noticed is that when the meals were being served, all the other tables were asked if 1. would they want any sauces 2. was the meal ok? I was disappointed to say that this did not happen to us and so I had to ask for the sauces. Having said all this, the meal itself was good. My daughter had a strawberry ice cream, and then we left. I just don't agree to paying £40 for a meal and having poor service. It sort of spoilt the meal/ambience/atmosphere. Having been on a number of occasions before, I can honestly say we are wondering if we will ever go back.

As we left, interestingly the table next to us did also complain as he had been served a cold steak. The pub was busy, but this is no reason to serve sub standard food with poor service.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AlexKrycek

Travellers are raving about these Huddersfield hotels

Kettering, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

First of all the room is OK, nothing better, try "The Woodman" at Thunderbridge first for price, used to be good value, but has been refitted.
Rooms are in a separate block to one side, clean, tidy, on the small side, but comfy bed, good pillows and a decent if noisy shower.
The problem as ever with the Vintage Inns is the food. I know it isn't dining out quality cuisine, the problem is they think it is!
I had the "large" portion of Risotto, good scallops but obvious cook/chill rice and peas, very small, if you HAVE to eat here have a burger, about the only thing probably cooked from scratch in the place, reasonable portion and decent value, but £11.95 for what I got was a rip off.
Friendly staff, nice atmosphere in bar, try and get a cheaper deal than we got (£59) but overall would stay again but would avoid the bar food.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank David H
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

It looked lovely the room was clean and a good standard apart from the lamps didnt work and the pillows were like rock. These were things we were prepared to overlook but when it came to the standard of customer service in the morning it was truly appalling. I will not go into the catalogue of errors that made up our meal experience, it would take too long. I would never go back and was left feeling very angry ( a rare thing for me.) I did sympathise when the waitress told me she was on her own on Sunday mornings. The hotel was full and she clearly couldn't cope. Innkeepers lodge need to invest in their staffing levels and training in customer service and communication skills so that there is a minimum service standard. In contrast, the chap who had booked us in the previous evening was excellent. Employing polar opposites is unhelpful as a guest I want a reasonable standard of customer service regardless of who is serving me. When I leave I want to think how nice it would be to return, unfortunately on leaving in this case I vowed never under any circumstances to return. Innkeepers lodge clearly don't want repeat business. Such a shame. It could have been such a nice stay.