“Great food and good wines - and what a view in the morning!”

The Three Acres Inn and Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 574 Restaurants in Huddersfield
Price range: US$51 - US$96
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Business meetings, Child-friendly, View
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: A warm welcome to The Three Acres Inn and Restaurant, set in beautiful Pennine countryside with a 40 year reputation for excellent food & first class service and voted Dining Pub of the Year 2015 by Yorkshire Life. Browse this season's menu below, or book accommodation with us here and we look forward to offering you a warm hospitable welcome when you visit us. At the very heart of The Three Acres lies a deep passion for food. We take pride in the calibre of our chefs with their creative flair and keen eye for detail under the lead of Head Chef Tom Davies. Our inspiration comes from food itself and the market fresh produce available for the season, allowing kitchen to craft dishes with a distinct and unique Three Acres style. Dine with us and experience our passion. The Three Acres has been owned by Neil Truelove and Brian Orme for over 40 years. 40 years plus of love of good food, of experience, of professional service and most importantly, of offering a warm hospitable welcome to all our diners and residents. With the next generation, Tom Truelove, Neil's son now involved in the business as a partner, we look forward to many years of continued high standards at The Three Acres.
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food and good wines - and what a view in the morning!”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This was a complete surprise, I was getting nervous as the taxi took me deeper into nowhere, but then it swung into the carpark full of Bentleys and Jags.
The team were on the ball, amusing and knowledgeable (except on the origin of the cheese).
The food was excellent and well presented.
I was fortunate to be treated this time, but the prices looked reasonable, especially given the quality.
The only thing that stopped it getting five stars was the mediocre room and poor shower. Having said that though the bed was super comfortable.
I look forward to my next visit.

“Brilliant - as always”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We've been visiting this place for over 40 years, and it's always a delight. We went tonight, and the service - as always - was impeccable. Warm greeting upon arrival, and efficient, professional service throughout - the staff here are brilliant. The food was excellent - we had the Assiette of starters, and I then had the duck, and everything was created and presented with a lot of flare, as always, and everything was delicious. I really can't fault the Three Acres, and would recommend it to anyone looking for someone special to dine - look forward to revisiting very soon!!

1 Thank MW2012
England
“Lovely winter setting”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

It's been a few years since my family have been to the 3 Acres as the we have always felt the service and food has fluctuated.

We decided to give it another go for my boyfriend's 22nd birthday. We were initially a party of 8, but they had no hesitations in changing the table to cater for 10 of us.

It was a Saturday afternoon at 1.30pm and i have to say, we instantly felt welcomed. The decor is rustic and cosy. The log fire was burning and the place was busy. I was excited for an enjoyable boozy afternoon of good food and wine.

The table they laid out for us was perfect, large and oval shaped with 2 large traditional candles. The setting really was perfect for a wintery afternoon.

Our main qualm as a group was probably that the service wasn't at its best. My mum had to ask them to come and take a drinks order from the table, which wasn't great considering how large the party was. The staff were all quite young, and although very polite, didn't necessarily seem experts on the menu and weren't great at elegantly serving the plates (what happened to serving from the left?) It seemed more like a game of pass the parcel with plates getting manoeuvred along the table. We got a sense that the wine waiter was rushing and didn't volunteer to make the menu interesting. I wouldn't say this was the staff's fault per se, I'd say they probably just need better training. The front of house spent 20 minutes blabbing to another table when our drinks were sat empty. They probably could have got other 100 quid out of us if they had really worked at it. Their loss I guess. However, despite these small problems, the staff were well dressed and the front of house was friendly when trying to take a group photo.

Next, the food. To be honest, everyone seemed impressed. Two of the party had the fish and chips which were nice large portions and they cleaned their plates. One of us had calf liver, and again said it was very pleasant. Although it seems a babyish option, I opted for the fish finger sandwich which was delicious with homemade tartar sauce. When they say sandwich though - one would expect 2 slices of bread, not one! Tasty nonetheless. My mum had the Cesar Salad - she was very disappointed that she didn't find any chicken in there. My dad had the steak, mushroom and kidney pie which he said could have been from a Brewer's fayre. I will say though, that my boyfriend's spit roasted chicken was absolutely delicious and FULL of flavour. Everyone else seemed happy with their choices. Cheese board for dessert was probably a bit small to share and didn't have very exotic cheeses.

All in all, a very pleasant setting with the perfect ambience. Food could have been better in areas, but lived up to expectations in others. The wine continued to flow after having to prompt the waiters for the order. Once again - great potential, brilliant location, and I'm sure we'll return.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Having only just moved to the area my wife and I were keen to visit the 3 Acres. We decided to take my son for his 21st birthday celebratory meal on Saturday 2nd November. Unfortunately the meal was very disappointing.

I had the moules to start with which were ok but the sauce was very watery. My lobster arrived, for my main course, about an hour later and I think for most of this time it had been sitting on the pass as it was very dry. Luckily there was only about three mouthfuls of it to eat for £30+.My wife's main course of duck was nearly inedible due to the level of salt.

The waiters and waitresses were pleasant but were clearly under trained.

The table next to us were very vociferous in complaining about the service. We didn't complain but will not be revisiting this restaurant

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great and totally unexpected”
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

I suppose the best events are always the unexpected ones. We had heard about this place from friends but didn't really know what to expect.
It was a Saturday evening and the place was packed. There was a marquee outside for a Huddersfield Town event, the car park was full of expensive cars, but we headed for the pub instead.
The place was full and busy. Almost too busy as people waited for a table.
We soon sat down at our pre-booked time. The staff were courteous, friendly and efficient.
There's a good choice of wines and food. It's no where near your standard pub fare so that's good
Starters included French onion soup, corned beef hash and wood pigeon. Mains included sea bass, grouse, pork and pulled pirk in a bun. All presented really well and tasted lovely.
Total bill was just over £200 for 4 people including £50 spent of 2 bottles of wine.
I can't wait to go back!