“Friendly and helpful” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Friendly and helpful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

Friendly and helpful staff and a clean and comfortable room. Ideal situation for Channel Tunnel or for the Port of Dover. Breakfast included in the price makes it even more attractive. Watch out for the turning - first right after leaving the motorway. The sign is easy to miss at night.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JohnManning42

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Just spent a night at this place. Freezing cold room. Had to call reception to ask for heating to be turned on. Shower is the worst. Hardly any water at all. The bed was very comfy however.
Food was very average and not tasty. How can you make a spaghetti carbonara bland?
If you are on a budget it's ok, in future I'll stay elsewhere.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Catterick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Ideally situated for the channel tunnel and Dover ferry port. I found this very easy with directions given on the website. There was plenty of parking with a 24hr tesco within a minute of the hotel. There is also a KFC 5 mins away if you did not fancy eating at hotel. Very clean and tidy as soon as you walk in with the staff very friendly and welcoming. They went out of their way to make sure I had everything I needed with having young children. The meals are very limited, however with breakfast included in your stay who can complain?
The rooms were spotless and well presented with complimentary coffee and tea, including a hair dryer which wife was happy with.
The only down side was that the mattress was a bit too firm for my liking due to back problems and the bed settee takes a bit of getting used to, but once found a comfy position I had no worries.
They even have rooms with inter connecting doors on a first come first served basis

Room Tip: If you have large families make sure you ask for inter connecting rooms. There are some on second fl...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Paderborn, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I've used the hotel before and it was as clean and pleasant as last time. Great location just off the M20 only 7 mins drive, if that, to the Eurotunnel & 15-20 I'd guess to Dover.
My room was clean and quiet, exactly what I needed.
I think it was Stephen who served me in the bar, he was a good laugh, bit of a character.
Food in the bar/great room was fine, nothing too special but it wasn't expensive, so that was ok.
I ate early for brekkie as I was running on a completely different timezone, the Americano coffee wasn't good, and I do agree with other reviewers, the whole breakfast bar in a cupboard idea really needs a rethink. Fine at 6am, but would be quite annoying with a few more people around. I find the choice pretty good, more than adequate certainly and everything else I had was good. Maybe the coffee machine was having a bad day.
I will use this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Being very close to the channel tunnel, we chose this hotel for one night to make an early crossing the next day. Every thing was as you would expect in a business or chain hotel of this standard. Very clean and beds were very comfortable. Breakfast is the usual fare but other than the sausages, we felt it was a bit lacking in taste.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Folkestone Channel Tunnel, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear LadyLozreena,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am glad that you liked our comfortable bedding. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and superior accommodations. However, I am sorry that you found our breakfast selection lacking. Please accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings you may have experienced. We take all reviews very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Beckenham, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Clean room, comfortable and my family had a really good sleep. Friendly staff. Very easy check in. Free wifi for one device, not ideal with children with 'i' gadgets but still better then many hotels. Breakfast was included and good quality. However, there isn't much choice and the strange 'galley' area that you have to queue to get the hot, chilled items and drinks is cramped and really annoying when there is a rush on (which there was today!). Dithering customers at the hot food meant you pretty much had to wait to get chilled food or juice, water or hot drinks. If you went in from the other end you would be causing a blockage! If I wanted an orderly queue for each of my items i'd be going to a service station where at least you don't feel like you are waiting in a coffin. Very poor design. Spoiled it just a fraction. If I had had to pay extra for the breakfast I would still stay again but would eat somewhere else.

Stayed October 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Our main criteria’s for booking a room at the Hilton Express was that it was minutes from the channel tunnel terminal with secure parking. I’m happy to report on both counts it was 10 out of 10.

The Inn is minutes from the M20 and on a no through road so it was extremely quiet even though it was adjacent to the M20. On this road is a Tesco’s supermarket and petrol station open 24 hours a day. We walked to Tesco’s from the Inn to stock up on supplies. It was an easy walk and a nice stroll to take after dinner.

You enter the car park through a security barrier and the car park has CCTV cameras. So we were quite happy to park up and leave the vehicle.

This is the first time we have stayed in a Hilton Express and definitely a pleasant surprise and as with travel inns it does what is says on the tin.

Housekeeping of rooms and public areas were very good.

Reception staff dealt with checking in and checking out efficiently and we found them to be friendly and helpful.

There is a bar/café style eating area and we were very happy with the food and service we received. Breakfast is served in the same area but I cannot comment on this as we had left for our crossing.

To sum up if you want somewhere within easy reach of the tunnel with secure parking you cannot go wrong with this hotel for an overnight stay.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple